Toast How can this Hawthorn side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

“We will learn a lot from this, so in that respect it’s a little bit ‘mission accomplished’ but the competitor in you would certainly want to play better after half time”
“I definitely didn’t say ‘let’s let them walk all over us in the second half.”

So I’m not sure his actual inference was ‘it was our mission to give up a five goal lead and lose by four’

The most overblown piece of click bait possibly ever taken from a presser but if that’s analogy that needs to be drawn to make it work then sure. Remember, that wasn’t actually me that said it.

We will learn a lot from this doesn't really need the phrase 'Mission Accomplished' attached to it. You're holding big footy posters to a higher standard than that.

Scott's take was smug w***ery without an ounce of humility to it.

Sounded like a vacuum cleaner salesman trying to sell everyone in the room a Kirby.

But I see we disagree on what he said, though we do definitely agree that the phrase wasn't attributed to you.

Last edited:

Playing well, but I'd look more to what they did against Adelaide (who I think have been playing well) to get a line on their form than the Carlton game - the Blues had no hope that day.

Actually I'd suggest the GWS game is the most impressive form line. Coming off a six day break, interstate trip having played crows sunday twighlight previous round, up by 28 points at 3/4 time again playing interstate on a ground most young hawks hadn't played on previously.

Given the fixture not surprising we had a fadeout in the last. GWS subsequently knock off Lions in Brisbane.

Ironically a 2 point loss and running GWS so close in those circumstances was the game that confirmed we are ready for September.

We won't fear anyone or interstate trip.

Form line wise Hawthorn would go in as favourites in a rematch at the G.

Even with that risk of a finals loss to Hawthorn it's a match up I'd like to see. Win some finals and you never know. ;)

I think we'd be well behind even odds against Geelong in a final, even at our home ground.

But I don't think anyone doesn't love a Geelong vs. Hawthorn game. They've just thrown up results that go against the form line, expectation and ladder positions for some 25+ years now.

Great Falling off a cliff/Cooked vs. You're not a Jedi yet narrative in the making if it happens.

We do need to make finals though. There's still two more games we have to win.

I think we'd be well behind even odds against Geelong in a final, even at our home ground.

But I don't think anyone doesn't love a Geelong vs. Hawthorn game. They've just thrown up results that go against the form line, expectation and ladder positions for some 25+ years now.

Great Falling off a cliff/Cooked vs. You're not a Jedi yet narrative in the making if it happens.

We do need to make finals though. There's still two more games we have to win.
Maybe with the bookies, it's hard to say - Geelong consistently give worse odds than is merited based on a long history of being competitive. In my opinion if Hawthorn win an EF and Geelong lose a QF then they play off in a SF, the consensus opinion at least on BigFooty and from the media "experts" would be that Hawthorn would win.

Didn’t we also beat you at the MCG quite comfortably this year?
This was in the period where we were 18th in the comp for clearances.

Chalk and cheese.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was in the period where we were 18th in the comp for clearances.

Chalk and cheese.
I'm going to be controversial here.

Any past meetings between any teams do not matter.

I always find it cringe worthy when the media trots out "Side X is 2-8 in their last 10 meetings with side Y" or "Side X haven't won at venue Y in 8 years".

It's all pointless noise. All that matters is who performs better on the day. The round 3 meeting was no more or less relevant than the other match. Neither have any influence on a prospective finals match up, just as they wouldn't if Hawthorn had won both games.

Rant over.

I'm going to be controversial here.

Any past meetings between any teams do not matter.

I always find it cringe worthy when the media trots out "Side X is 2-8 in their last 10 meetings with side Y" or "Side X haven't won at venue Y in 8 years".

It's all pointless noise. All that matters is who performs better on the day. The round 3 meeting was no more or less relevant than the other match. Neither have any influence on a prospective finals match up, just as they wouldn't if Hawthorn had won both games.

Rant over.
I agree with that rant.

I find it equally perplexing when formline or games won/lost against an opponent from a year or years earlier are commented on like they mean anything.

“Hawthorn have won their last 3 games against Lions”. BFW!

Maybe with the bookies, it's hard to say - Geelong consistently give worse odds than is merited based on a long history of being competitive. In my opinion if Hawthorn win an EF and Geelong lose a QF then they play off in a SF, the consensus opinion at least on BigFooty and from the media "experts" would be that Hawthorn would win.

Even during Hawthorn's dynasty, Geelong always started favourites.

Even during Hawthorn's dynasty, Geelong always started favourites.

We dropped four in a row against you at one point during that period but even so, managed 3 wins across two of your flag years in 13/14 and led the entire prelim final in 13 before finally getting run down so it was still a close thing even though you had the better of it and were the best side in the comp

Form line wise Hawthorn would go in as favourites in a rematch at the G.

Even with that risk of a finals loss to Hawthorn it's a match up I'd like to see. Win some finals and you never know. ;)
Doubt we would go in as favourites. Geelong's form apart from the Dogs game is impressive

Didn’t we also beat you at the MCG quite comfortably this year?
Was 15 points half way through the final quarter. Hardly say comfortably when it was 20 shots to 21 for the game. Hawthorn had 9 more inside 50's. With how differently this Hawthorn team is playing now, that game means little for how any future games will play out.

Large part of Hawthorn's game is based on running opposition teams into the ground, mcg will be a different kettle of fish than the sardine can down the highway. We will also have Sicily, Ginnivan and Dear back into the team

Doubt we would go in as favourites. Geelong's form apart from the Dogs game is impressive

Geelong always play their best footy against Hawthorn, the market understand this and Geelong always starts favourites.

I suspect unless Hawthorn were around top of the ladder and Geelong were out 8 then Hawthorn would start favourites, but that's never happened since Thompson and Scott have been there. I'm guessing the revenge factor will move on once Chris Scott and Hawkins leave.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast How can this Hawthorn side be stopped?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back