How did Melbourne get so bad?

Remove this Banner Ad

2 brownlow votes against the Hawks and 3 votes against North Melbourne.

Wow... I stand corrected! Kudos for that drop-in there Fryzie.

I'll have to look up these games I think. Maybe there's some hope for Priddis after all :thumbsu:

And "losing" Nathan Carroll certainly was a good step towards creating the squad we currently have, and the significantly stronger squad we'll have after this draft :)

Maybe WCE might like to resurrect his career perhaps...? :p

Well I spose we did take Steven Armstrong and turn him into a premiership winning forward pocket.... which he never would have been at Failbourne :D

Like Hawthorn, Melbourne seem to boast about their membership numbers. Strange how their crowd numbers don't correlate. The big clubs don't need to play these silly kid's games.

Melbourne are shadow of the club they were and I take no pleasure in saying that. Just hope that their kids will come through for them and give them a lift. They are in a bit of trouble.

How in gods name did Melbourne become so insipid the past few years? I can understand the competition works in rotations with the way you are rewarded draft picks for generally being a poor side but how did they manage to get so incredibly bad?

Carlton has a valid reason... They cheated and the AFL tore them a new one setting them back years.

What is Melbournes reasoning? It's not like you had any shock retirements/trades of superstars leaving the club either. I dare say Melbournes list (minus the talented youngsters they've recently drafted) has got to be THE worst I've ever seen in my time of watching the AFL.

What's gone wrong with this once proud club?

Was it Wowoedins brownlow win that set the tone that mediocrity will be rewarded?

Something is seriously wrong in Casey. Melbourne supporters please enlighten me as to how you got in such a horrendous predicament.

Wow.......Now I've almost seen it all

A bulldogs supporter hangin $hit on the Dee's

If you want to have a laugh at something funny
Have a look at your forward line for 2010

The Dads Army of the AFL :D:D

Well let's see... how did the Demons get to where we're currently at...

Firstly, we went from $5 million in debt to less than $1 million, within 18 months. Carlton, St Kilda (I think), the Bulldogs, Port Adelaide & North Melbourne all have more debt (substantially more in 4 of those cases) than us.

Secondly, we set consecutive membership records in the last 2 seasons, and are currently 3,500 ahead of where we were even last year, meaning we have a damn good chance to break 35,000 in 2010.

Thirdly, we got that new deal with the MCG, meaning that, from what I can see, we're guaranteed $1 million profit on the gate each year now. And the Darwin deal, guaranteeing us a similarly large additional cash flow.

Fourthly, we secured new sponsorship deals which now put us in the upper tier of AFL clubs when it comes to sponsorship revenue.

And finally, and very importantly, we built a group of young players in our squad of such quality that even many opposition supporters around here acknowledge that we have the best list of young talent of any AFL club right now.

Sure you don't want to go back and CHANGE the topic of this thread Daz?

LOL at the OP being a Bulldogs fan by the way, they don't even come close to us off the field... check out the financial schemozzle they've been in for such an extended period now.

2010 is arguably their last hope for real on-field success. The sunset side of the mountain beckons for the Bulldogs- again!

At what part in this horrible rant did you ever address how bad melbourne is as per the OP??? :confused:

True in the first point (although it is a fact that Johnson performed well against WCE at Subi, and against the Bulldogs at the 'G, and matched Sandilands in Round 20)

Jamar came out ahead, often well ahead, in his ruck matchups this year. He was 13th in our B&F after only playing 7 games.

I don't need to play up specific matches where he's concerned.

Not a testament to jamar's ability but a testament to how bad you guys actually are!

Something isn't right there, a cancer has pretty much been eating at the club since 64'

13 finals series in 45 years is not great but Wonna has convinced me they are on the cusp of a golden era.

Strangely enough only one person has bothered to answer the questions raised in the Op so far.

So you had Richmonds recruiter? All makes sense now we may as well close this thread.

I'd like to raise another question. Of all the teams going forward the next few years will anyone be as bad as Melbourne has been for the past few years?

Strangely enough only one person has bothered to answer the questions raised in the Op so far.

So you had Richmonds recruiter? All makes sense now we may as well close this thread.

I'd like to raise another question. Of all the teams going forward the next few years will anyone be as bad as Melbourne has been for the past few years?

Great question...
we are about to get two new teams so if either manage to bring a freo-style entry into the AFL then Melb could have a rival for crapness

The Fevless tankers may challenge but the league's gifting of draft picks away from the current 16 will change that club's contemporary approach to footy...

The tigers will continue to meet expectation so they will reach the heights of ninth, go through a few more coaches and be a regular feature at the grand final sprint at half time

but to seriously address the question - the lists of the lions and the bulldogs are very skewed for a tilt in the next 1-2 years... beyond that window, it is really not clear what either club is trying to achieve - for both their sakes, I hope it exceeds Melbourne's recent form

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs that shouldnt hang sh*it on Melbourne:
(in order of shouldntness)

Port Adelaide: by far the most disgusting of ALL clubs, your players dont try cause they hate your club and your coach, your coach hates your players right back, your players want to leave your club, players not at your club dont want to go to ur club, even in a two-team town you get no one at your games.. sorry
Richmond: Richmond
Fremantle: yeah you know
Carlton: blue baggas, you are criminals, but aside from that shouldnt bag us cause you have had the worst 10yr period in AFL history
West Coast Eagles: drug-riddled culture, Chris Judd left you (pwd) and i heard a rumour that people who live in perth have two heads and 11 toes, can someone confirm or deny this?
Collingwood: yeah yeah 50,00 members, lots of $$$, everyone wants to play for you due to your 50,000 members and your lots of $$$.. BUT you have the lowest tooth-to-supporter ratio in the AFL
Essendon: knights is ripping your clubs soul apart.. kevin sheedy must be rolling in his grave.. shame on you.. shame
Adelaide: similar tooth-to-supporter ratio as Collingwood, and worlds most boring coach (boring as he may be i wish we had him though..)
St Kilda: see Essendon but replace Knights with Lyon and ignore the Sheedy part
Western Bulldogs: 'more pooer than we are' and had to get barry hall. O and aka lol
North Melbourne: also very poor. i like liam anthony tho.. wish we had him
Hawthorn: fat, injuried, hungover and also drug-riddles. ps well done on the 2008 premiership!
Brisbane: Roar! you guys got fev who will drink your beers and sleep with your wives. love Vossy tho
Sydney: generally good supporters and probably wont bag melbourne and shouldnt cause the next few years will be tough for you

Suckas

Port Adelaide: by far the most disgusting of ALL clubs, your players dont try cause they hate your club and your coach, your coach hates your players right back, your players want to leave your club, players not at your club dont want to go to ur club, even in a two-team town you get no one at your games.. sorry
Carlton: blue baggas, you are criminals, but aside from that shouldnt bag us cause you have had the worst 10yr period in AFL history
West Coast Eagles: drug-riddled culture, Chris Judd left you (pwd) and i heard a rumour that people who live in perth have two heads and 11 toes, can someone confirm or deny this?
Collingwood: yeah yeah 50,00 members, lots of $$$, everyone wants to play for you due to your 50,000 members and your lots of $$$.. BUT you have the lowest tooth-to-supporter ratio in the AFL
Essendon: knights is ripping your clubs soul apart.. kevin sheedy must be rolling in his grave.. shame on you.. shame
Adelaide: similar tooth-to-supporter ratio as Collingwood, and worlds most boring coach (boring as he may be i wish we had him though..)
Western Bulldogs: 'more pooer than we are' and had to get barry hall. O and aka lol
Hawthorn: fat, injuried, hungover and also drug-riddles. ps well done on the 2008 premiership!
Brisbane: Roar! you guys got fev who will drink your beers and sleep with your wives. love Vossy tho
Sydney: generally good supporters and probably wont bag melbourne and shouldnt cause the next few years will be tough for you

Suckas
So melbourne doesnt deserve anything? They finished the last 2 years with 7 wins all up and you think thats ok? They are a rabble at the moment and they also have jack watts so... how about you just go sit over there .....mmk

So melbourne doesnt deserve anything? They finished the last 2 years with 7 wins all up and you think thats ok? They are a rabble at the moment and they also have jack watts so... how about you just go sit over there .....mmk
no no dont get me wrong melbourne are bad, worse than most clubs (but not port), i just gave a list of reasons why other teams should bag melbourne

kthxbye

lol at port..
Also you can lol at port all you want, i only put that there so idiots like you dont just say like omg your team sucks so bad dude. Because when a tool like you disagrees with someone who is very much smarter than you, its not worth my time. So go ahead, keep watching your pathetic excuse for a club, its not like they could get any worse.

Also you can lol at port all you want, i only put that there so idiots like you dont just say like omg your team sucks so bad dude. Because when a tool like you disagrees with someone who is very much smarter than you, its not worth my time. So go ahead, keep watching your pathetic excuse for a club, its not like they could get any worse.
listen here sweetheart, your name is pokerface, i keep up with current popular culture enough to know that that is a 'Lady Gaga' song and a shocking one at that. so i wouldnt be taking trash creepy little Port Adelaide supporter, change you lame name before you start handing out sh*t. piss off the Bay if you cant handle it.
Port are truely the worst team and are infact THE most "pathetic excuse for a club" your players dont even try, you change your jumper every second week, you have no spirit, your club is a wasteland. deal with it

omg your team sucks so bad dude

and lol at port, and lol at you

Suckas

crying_baby.jpg

Your best players either retired or moved to Hawthorn/Richmond.
Your best forward is one hamstring away from retirement.
Recruited a full forward who couldn't even get a game in the Richmond forward line this year. And ditto Jay Nash from Essendon.
Lost to the wooden spooners and to Fremantle in the same year.
Had a finals berth giftwrapped for you, and still ****ed it up.
If Dean Brogan goes down, your ruck stocks are ****ed. You're considering a 2-club reject in Cameron Cloke as back up.
You have a poor man's Jack Watts in Justin Westhoff. And his gayer brother Matthew.
Your coach is shit, and your club went to shit after he signed a new deal. And they won't even let him choose his own captain.
You only have one other club to compete for members with and you're still going broke. Port are the Crows bitches.
YOU go sit over there BITCH! Look forward to passing on the spoon to your shambles of a club.

We made the finals in '06 so I wouldn't say we have been terriblle for to long. Just one season of insipid performances and the next where we got to lucrative a carrot dangled in front of our nose to reject

listen here sweetheart, your name is pokerface, i keep up with current popular culture enough to know that that is a 'Lady Gaga' song and a shocking one at that. so i wouldnt be taking trash creepy little Port Adelaide supporter, change you lame name before you start handing out sh*t. piss off the Bay if you cant handle it.
Port are truely the worst team and are infact THE most "pathetic excuse for a club" your players dont even try, you change your jumper every second week, you have no spirit, your club is a wasteland. deal with it

omg your team sucks so bad dude

and lol at port, and lol at you
I agree port do suck, but if you think i go for them you are extremely stu....oh wait already knew that. Ive had this account for under a week , all i frikken do on it is bag melbourne, because they deserve it for being a terrible excuse for a club. Check my posts bud, they're all the same. Now do what I said and go over there....next to your dad who seems to be a pretty fruity guy.

Melbournes last flag: 1964

Port Adelaide: Last Premiership 2004
Richmond: 1980
Fremantle: Melbourne only team to lose to Freo in a final
Carlton: 1995
West Coast Eagles: 2006
Collingwood: 1990
Essendon: 2000
Adelaide: 1998
St Kilda: 1966