How do the Bulldogs beat St Kilda next week?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Huge game, looking like the dogs chances are fading fast if they dont do something this year. I am not saying they will win it, but to get there would be a big bonus for the club. When did they last make a grand final? They have also fallen short in that dreaded prelim final. 1997-98 would have shattered some hearts, and the last two years would have invoked bad memories of a decade ago. So, how do they beat St Kilda after a tough game tonight? Lets here thoughts on strategies, techniques and a potential game plan against a fresh St Kilda.

There would have to be a major major form reversal for the Bulldogs to win. And not only that, but they somehow have to make up for missing some key players. I just don't see it happening, and its shows why I am not a coach because I cant see how it could happen.

Unfortunately its just another prelim for the Bulldogs.

if saints were tolose a game they were meant to win .....this would be it.

no ones a certainty in prelims way to much emotion for 1 game.....its why they are often better than GF's/.

It is a wasted year for all but 1 team though isn't it Doggy?

Geelong's and St Kilda's best are better than Collingwood's and WB's best respectively but I still give the underdogs in each game a good chance of making the GF.

Looking forward to 2 awesome matches. :thumbsu:

Start by getting Morris straight back into the team to play on Reiwoldt. Did a mighty job for about 70% of last year's prelim with a fractured leg, but shows how hard it is to keep a champion down for a full game. Another performance by our inside mids like the 2nd half tonight will also help.

Will need St Kilda to be 10% off in most aeas and for us to run at full rat power for it to get close. We just have too many key players either banged up or out of form for a ruthless quality unit like St Kilda not to take advantage of.

Carlton fluked a win in the 1999 Preliminary Final against Essendon.
No one expected that result. No one is realistically expecting the Bulldogs to win next week. It's a 2 horse race and you never know what can happen on the night. Bulldogs are depleted, but some of their better players might come our and play blinders and get them over the line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would go for broke and resist playing through Hall at every opporunity, which is what the Saints will be expecting. In fact go for Grant more often than not. The teams that they've struggled against in 2010 (Carlton and Bombers) have pace and play a game where their runners go ahead of the ball. It is a game based on front-runners and can be labeled dishonest but I can't see the Doggies winning any other way.

r263713_1100153.jpg

Target acquired.

50SNIPERS.jpg

036499-nick-riewoldt.jpg

Target immobilized

Saudi-troops-cheer-as-the-002.jpg

Robert Murphy to start forward and stay forward.
Barry Hall to kick 5+ goals.
Brad Johnson and Hooper to be dropped for Moles and Everitt. I would even consider dropping Tom Williams for an extra runner and asking Ryan Hargrave or Everitt to play on Kosi. Lake will obviously get Riewoldt. Hopefully there is a miracle and Morris can get back, he seems like the kind of player who can play injured and still contribute.

I think the Dogs need more through the midfield. They are severely lacking class in this area. It's amazing how they have gone from being so dynamic to being so working class. Addison, Boyd, Picken, Ward and Cross just do not strike fear into teams hitting up the lead or open man coming forward.

Boyd can go with Hayes. But Hayes will have a significant impact. The hope will be that Boyd gets back to his prolific ball winning best.
Jones will go to Griffen. This would likely cut out the only real stand out class the Dogs have through the middle.
Picken is likely to run with Dal Santo, as Dal is the kind of player that will dominate this game if he is left unattended.
This is where it gets dangerous for the Dogs. It's likely that Montagna will be the one with out a threatening match up. Can't see Cross being able to match his pace and though a defensive runner like Ward may limit Montagna's touches, clearly Montagna would have a huge class edge.
Goddard is another likely to escape a competitive match up. He could run free across half back or work his way through the midfield and the Dogs really have nobody to run with him.

For me it's the Saints by 50+ points. Dominating games from Goddard and Montagna.

I expect the Bulldogs to fight hard again. It should be another close one. Hope they get in to the GF for the first time in 49 years.

3 teams with long premiership droughts, Collingwood 20 years, St Kilda 44 years and the Bulldogs 56 years. You have to take your chances in big games because they may not come for a very long time.

Preliminary final rematches, this time with Friday and Saturday swapped around.

If the Magpies beat Geelong they've earnt it.

If St Kilda get through they will win it. Especially if they play Geelong in a GF rematch.

Remove this Banner Ad

How do the Bulldogs beat St Kilda next week?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back