How do you beat Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Ok, Collingwood are bloody amazing right now. They are playing a brand of footy that is very hard to overcome. No weak links on any line. They are fit, fast, skilled, strong and determined. They almost got pipped last year in the 1st GF. I would argue that they are better than last year, and they want another cup because that will put them on par with Essendon and Carlton. Not sure if that is the incentive but anyway, they are on track to do that.

I remember when Essendon were very dominant between 1999-2001. They only won a single flag in that time. Collingwood lost a prelim in 2009, they smashed it in last year in week 2, but could Geelong do a Brisbane and be a giant killer? I am not sure, i am not convinced the cats can climb over them.

I just was keen to know from Pies fans and anyone really, how do you think you beat the Pies? How do you knock them over in September? Because we all know finals is a different caper, but how does one beat Collingwood? And who can do it?

Cheers

Play better football than them.

There's no secret mathematical or tactical formula. They play raw contested football and hard running ball movement. There isn't a whole lot of strategic depth to the way their team plays and that's probably their greatest strength - they can't be undone by flimsy tactics. You just need to do the same things better.

It's just a question of if anyone is able to do that.

1) Tag Daisy. He's more susceptible to a tag than Pendles and I'd rather limit Daisy's impact over Swan's.

2) Isolate a big forward on Maxwell. Maxwell is decent when he roams around by himself and plays as a 3rd man to a contest. He becomes a liability when he is caught one out against a competent forward.

3) Less handball and much more long kicking. If you try and handball through their press you'll get swallowed up and they'll smash you.

4) Have a couple of quick and more skillful players off the back flank and tell them to take the game on with run and long kicking.

You have to take some risks which is dangerous against a side like Collingwood but it's the only way you can beat them.

You can do all of those things and still get smashed, but that's probably the way to go about it.

You need to move the ball quickly and try and get it over the top of their press into space.

If you try to handball your way up the ground, you'll get smashed.

If you try to take a slow approach and dominate the possession you might stay with them a while, but not for a whole game, and definitely not in a final.

So according to your theory, and if Geelong were to adopt it, they would need to;

1. Put Ling on Daisy and try and curb him
2. Get Maxwell isolated on Pods? Or Ottens
3. Obviously instruct everyone to bang it in long
4. Have Mackie, Enright, Corey, Scalett etc run and carry though the guts and kick deep into forward line?

So in saying that, you can't really have an off day if you are those Geelong players?

Can they do it in a final?

Since 2007 the score is 2 - 1 in Geelong's favour. BUT, the 2011 Collingwood is infinitely better than 07 & 09.

Therefore, given that Cats are the only side to beat Pies this year, I cannot see anyone beating them in finals, including Geelong.

This.
I can see why Geelong people get annoyed by such discussion.
Just wondering, did Geelong have the same aura of invincibility about them in 2008 as Collingwood do now?

Yeah they did. I remember Paul Roos citing them as being unbeatable. Which of course we weren't. I also remember facing Hawthorn in rd 17 08 missing Ablett, Ling, Milburn, Chapman, Kelly and still winning. At that point who would of thought we'd lose to that same team. Things change quickly.

This.
I can see why Geelong people get annoyed by such discussion.
Just wondering, did Geelong have the same aura of invincibility about them in 2008 as Collingwood do now?

Not to the same degree. I think the "Buddy" factor at Hawthorn made the Hawks a genuine contender, even though Cats were favorites.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hit targets, punish them WITH GOALS when they make mistakes and play on at all costs to give them less time to implement their press.

And pray for some good luck along the way.

Have the umpires mess up a game deciding call ? :p

Yeah, nah. Geelong players would've tackled Pendlebury if the umpire had called advantage and Pendlebury wouldn't have been able to have a free shot. Geelong deserved the win.

Ling would get absolutely carved up if he went to Daisy. He would not have the leg speed to be able to put the clamps on him. Ditto Swan. Both of these two are explosive from the standstill. They'd put metres on Ling in an instant.

IMO, Ling would have to go to Pendles who hasn't got the same turn of speed as Swan/Daisy and plays alot more inside than the above two which should suit Ling's style of play.

Everyone knows how to beat Collingwood, it is the ability to execute that is the problem. The objective of the Collingwood game is to apply such pressure that it is hard to execute what you need to to for a sustained period. If Collingwood is not on, then our games fall apart very quickly. Essendon showed that the other week, even Richmond, Adelaide and Port Adelaide showed that early on the year.

The tactic to isolate Maxwell is flawed, because I doubt that he will get back in the side now he has broken his thumb. More and more he is not looking like someone in the top 22.

Ask Geelong..........

Geelong can beat Collingwood when they're playing well. However Hawks, Eagles and Blues would probaley have to play Collingwood on a very bad day to win

Everyone knows how to beat Collingwood, it is the ability to execute that is the problem. The objective of the Collingwood game is to apply such pressure that it is hard to execute what you need to to for a sustained period. If Collingwood is not on, then our games fall apart very quickly. Essendon showed that the other week, even Richmond, Adelaide and Port Adelaide showed that early on the year.

The tactic to isolate Maxwell is flawed, because I doubt that he will get back in the side now he has broken his thumb. More and more he is not looking like someone in the top 22.

So when he recovers from that broken thumb he should not be included back in the side? He is the Captain, when that thumb recovers he will be back. They can't really tap him on the shoulder and say, 'hey mate, you not getting picked'. Dont think that will happen. He will need to play, and if you drag him back to the square then he will be found out. He has to be accountable for someone, right?

This is what I would do to beat Collingwood:

1. Tag Luke Ball. Every time Collingwood plays below par it is because Luke Ball influence is curbed. Plus if Ball is locked down their is more work for Swan, Thomas and Pendlebury to do to get their own ball.
Also it has proven many times that Swan, Thomas and Pendlebury can easily break tags with their gut running so I don't see the point of tagging them and would back your own midfield to hurt them going the other way.

2. Take Leon Davis to the goalsquare. Now to Davis credit he has stood up this year when this has happen this season, as he is very strong one on one. But even if he is winning the contest with your forward pocket on the last line of defense, you know he is not going to get 20+ disposals if he is not allowed to move outside the 50.

3. Isolate Nick Maxwell. Play a quick marking forward on him and get him to lead to opposite flank as your gun forward. If Maxwell chooses to zone off then use his opponent as a target.

4. Move the ball quickly and kick long. The best way to beat the press is don't let Collingwood time to set it up. If they do manage to slow the game around then kick long to the boundaries as Collingwood is very good at stopping any attack through the middle.

5. Put your 'a team in' when Leigh Brown/ Cameron Wood is rucking. Both of them can be exposed in the centre square.

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you beat Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back