How do you beat Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes I know they're the yardstick. They will more often than not beat any opponent they come up against.

Geelongs list is capable of beating them more often than other teams, but other teams are capable as well.
Geelong has the list, for the rest all the stars would need to be in alignment. It could happen but any fan that spent their time worrying over such things would never get a minute's enjoyment out of the game.

Geelong has the list, for the rest all the stars would need to be in alignment. It could happen but any fan that spent their time worrying over such things would never get a minute's enjoyment out of the game.

should be epic.

Geelong v Collingwood will be epic IMO.

Of course I'm hanging to a slim thread of hope that we smash both your sides on the way to our second premiership, but saying that, if the two expect front runners make it, as I and many other predict, it will be titanic I think.

As epic and as close as GF1 last year of the 05/06 wce/swans premiership.

Geelong will hit collingwood like a tonne of bricks and collingwood will use pace and dash against the brutality of the cats.

Power Punch champion boxer at the end of his career against the new kid on the block with skill and pace.

I'm fairly sure every team with a chance of final has similar hopes to me

2008 geelong didn't give hawthorn enough respect till it was too late.

I can't imagine mm making that mistake, but some of the players might.
Why do you think the players were made to climb Mt Mkinnley twice this past preseason? To drive home the message that doing it twice is vastly harder than once. I'm very sure Mick and the staff are VERY aware of the danger and I doubt - I don't say it's impossible - but I DOUBT that complacency will play a role in our finals campaign.

Geelong kicked away their chances against Hawthorn, really IF they had kicked straight they would have won. But IF's don't pay the piper, bad kicking is bad footy and they lost as they deserved to for such poor kicking.

Hawthorn are injury ravaged, Carlton are surface pretty but dodgy in depth and StKilda are a shadow of the team they were last year with Hayes.

Really all things being equal it should be Collingwood and Geelong in the big dance.

should be epic.

Geelong v Collingwood will be epic IMO.

Of course I'm hanging to a slim thread of hope that we smash both your sides on the way to our second premiership, but saying that, if the two expect front runners make it, as I and many other predict, it will be titanic I think.

As epic and as close as GF1 last year of the 05/06 wce/swans premiership.

Geelong will hit collingwood like a tonne of bricks and collingwood will use pace and dash against the brutality of the cats.

Power Punch champion boxer at the end of his career against the new kid on the block with skill and pace.

I'm fairly sure every team with a chance of final has similar hopes to me
Total agreement Geelong have been a great team for a long time and all the indicators point to this being their last realistic shot at the flag for a while so they will be desperate and probably vicious in their attempt to snag a flag before their window closes.

I fully expect the Pies to go toe to toe with them, Pies don't have a tagger in the team as Mick's attitude is to trust his boys against any opposition. So long as injuries don't destroy one or the others campaign at this late stage it should be a slugfest, quite possibly literally as the Cats will claw us with every thing they have. However we aren't the light young team they have brushed aside in the past and if anyone is considering we may just get blown away they are going to be very disappointed. I expect the game to be decided in the 4th quarter, and believe that the Pies supreme fitness will get them over the line.

Collingwoods best is waaay better than anyone else's in the league.

Not sure about that. I really think optimal Pies, Cats, Hawks or Blues are as good as each other. The big difference is that the Pies (and in that order descending) are much more consistent. Make no mistake though a rampant Blues could take down Collingwood in a Prelim or the GF. We have seen Geelong beat them already and could do it again. And of course I feel that Hawthorn have proven they can split games open when they fire.

All 4 of those teams could stand comfortably on the premiership premiership dias without deserving claims of not being worthy being levelled at them.

I think collingwood will drop off a bit, few injuries do that
We've played all year with between 4 and 7 premiership players missing and it has given us a chance to develop new players such as Fasolo Keeffe Rounds Sinclair and most likely Young will get his chance this week, but come finals they settle it down to a very select 24/25 with only Fasolo a chance to make it

Not sure about that. I really think optimal Pies, Cats, Hawks or Blues are as good as each other. The big difference is that the Pies (and in that order descending) are much more consistent. Make no mistake though a rampant Blues could take down Collingwood in a Prelim or the GF.

Realistically, the Blues are nowhere near the level of Geelong, or even Collingwood.

The thing about these two teams and Saints as well, is that they don't let the other teams play well.

It's quite simple in theory-

1. Win the contested possession count
2. Win the Clearances
3. Hit targets (preferably not with 1000 short passes such as Hawthorn tried)
4. Move the ball quickly inside 50.

Other things that can beat Collingwood. Overconfidence- if the players think in a similar manner to some of our supporters, then it could be a dismal finals series.

Injuries- If Cloke and Jolly are some how missing in any one final, we will struggle.

Geelong and Hawthorn( as much as I hate them for having the world's most disgusting looking sport's outfit) are both bloody good sides and on their day could easily achieve 1,2,3 and 4 above.

Id rather the hoops than the prison bars....

Collingwood are unbeatable in 2011 just as Geelong were in 2008.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id rather the hoops than the prison bars....

Collingwood are unbeatable in 2011 just as Geelong were in 2008.

Maybe my sentence was a touch ambiguous. It was a comment solely about the abomination that is the Hawthorn uniform. I don't care how successful they have been, I could never contemplate following a club with such a horror strip.

As for the Cats. They have a great strip. Classy, just like their football.:thumbsu:

As a Geelong supporter that can remember back to 2008 (at least), I'm here to say no-one is unbeatable, percentages exaggerate how good a team is, and you gotta perform on the day, otherwise it doesn't mean much.

Clarkson got his team to perform on the day in 2008, and Bomber could not. And it is the media, and excitable fans that build up the top team to be invincible. Really there wasn't that much between Hawthorn and Geelong. Just that Hawthorn peaked later on, but Geelong was strong throughout the season, and the Mike Sheahans of the football world got carried away with the Cats. It annoys me every time I hear the Bradbury shit for that year.

Anyone in the top 4 could win it. I would say Collingwood is best placed. They have greater belief in each other under pressure. That shows when they kick goals they have to get. You could see the Saints just didn't have that belief last night. But cracks can appear very quickly.

Considering Collingwood's depth, I wouldn't have Shaw back in after 8 weeks out. And I would ask Nick Maxwell to take forever for his hand to heal, because his form has fallen away and you can't afford passengers. That is super ruthless. And they are the only teams that win.

As a Geelong supporter that can remember back to 2008 (at least), I'm here to say no-one is unbeatable, percentages exaggerate how good a team is, and you gotta perform on the day, otherwise it doesn't mean much.

Absolutely. Our '2008' was 1970. I was there that day to see an inferior outfit come from 44 points down at half time. An absolute dud in Ted Hopkins kicked 4 goals in the second half. Anything is possible when the whole year comes down to one afternoon.

Absolutely. Our '2008' was 1970. I was there that day to see an inferior outfit come from 44 points down at half time. An absolute dud in Ted Hopkins kicked 4 goals in the second half. Anything is possible when the whole year comes down to one afternoon.

Its brutal, its cruel. That is the way it is. I remember last year when good servants of your club were omitted for the finals. But the coach has to have that mind set to win.

Yeh, players these days shudder at the thought of coming up against that jumper.

The old one was intimidating. The theory might have credence if we're talking about that one.

This thing that they wear now is as big a joke as they are.

Collingwoods best is waaay better than anyone else's in the league.
the hawks havent played their absolute best all year how do you know?, we were in 2nd gear all day yesterday, full throttle were as good as anyone including the pies. To beat the pies you gotta make them do what they dont want to do ie play man on man, you do that by winning enough ball around the ground and hitting targets by foot and the crap about "oh the short chipping wont work so give it up hawks" is just that, crap, it isnt short chipping its kicking to the leading player, usually into space. You have to be a highly skilled side to pull it off every week which we are, to beat the pies we have to be spot on but thats fair enough if you want to win the flag you have to play the best footy.

Teamwork and structures are the keys to collingwood, these are things any side can work on and replicate in due time.

They are far from a side like Geelong or Brisbane who just beat you by being too good and for that reason alone they are very beatable, Franklin could have a day out and completely wreck Collingwood's flag chances.

the hawks havent played their absolute best all year how do you know?, we were in 2nd gear all day yesterday, full throttle were as good as anyone including the pies. To beat the pies you gotta make them do what they dont want to do ie play man on man, you do that by winning enough ball around the ground and hitting targets by foot and the crap about "oh the short chipping wont work so give it up hawks" is just that, crap, it isnt short chipping its kicking to the leading player, usually into space. You have to be a highly skilled side to pull it off every week which we are, to beat the pies we have to be spot on but thats fair enough if you want to win the flag you have to play the best footy.

What a stupid statement. Collingwood are one of the best contested possession sides in the AFL. Hawthorn tried to beat us last time by making a lot of uncontested situations ie. keeping the ball off us.

I don't think they will try that again in the finals as it will crumble under pressure. I really rate Hawthorn's chances this year, they are only slightly behind Geelong and Collingwood and with our crazy system of deciding the best team for the year in a single afternoon, anything can happen.

But I don't think Clarkson will play the short, chipping game against us or Geelong in a GF.

Teamwork and structures are the keys to collingwood, these are things any side can work on and replicate in due time.

They are far from a side like Geelong or Brisbane who just beat you by being too good and for that reason alone they are very beatable, Franklin could have a day out and completely wreck Collingwood's flag chances.

You should apply for the coaching position at Port Adelaide. Such a simple plan to win a Premiership and to think the idea hadn't even occurred to them. Tell them they can also save heaps of cash on recruiting. Just get any old footballers and teach them teamwork and structures.

Thank God for Carlton supporters, they continually come out with gems of wisdom like this. And here I was thinking that Collingwood had some really good footballers. Silly me.

Hawthorn will! Sure they lost against the Pies recently but I think they can really turn it on during finals.

Collingwood aren't unbeatable. And like someone said before, things change quickly! Carlton can also match it with the Pies... They have an impressive midfield but their forward pocket is kind of flawed... They just need a tall target. Their forwards are quick but can't always rely on Walker, Betts and Gartlett. If the Blues were to win against the Pies, you'd need Simpson, Gibbs, Judd, Murphy and Scotland to kick several goals between them. And Yarran using his speed from half back, he is not afraid to take the game on and loves kicking goals.

Have nothing against the current Collingwood outfit. I actually enjoy watching their brand of footy. Can't stand Carlton, wouldn't mind seeing Geelong win the flag this year but Hawks Premiers '11 for me

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you beat Collingwood?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back