Preview How do you see the Cats 2024 Finals going?

How do you see the Cats 2024 Finals going?

• Out in straight sets (two losses not making the Prelim)

Votes: 36 34.3%
  • Preliminary Final loss (means they win one game in the finals)

Votes: 44 41.9%
  • Grandfinal loss

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • 2024 Premiers

Votes: 21 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You can mount the argument that we have a better middle tier in todays game, and that the 6-12 sides might be better than years gone by...but the top end just isn't close to what it once was.
The dilution of talent across the playing lists of each club is becoming more and more and profound, no doubt. And the introduction of Tasmania is going to contribute to a further diminution of relative quality as well.

Which means that dominant teams over a series of seasons are going to be harder and harder to manufacture. But also means the very best coaches are going to keep middling lists in contention for longer, as the outright talent advantage of one club relative to another is further diminished in the future.

#inscottwetrust
#nonebetteratthatcaper
#signhimforlife

The dilution of talent across the playing lists of each club is becoming more and more and profound, no doubt. And the introduction of Tasmania is going to contribute to a further diminution of relative quality as well.

Which means that dominant teams over a series of seasons are going to be harder and harder to manufacture. But also means the very best coaches are going to keep middling lists in contention for longer, as the outright talent advantage of one club relative to another is further diminished in the future.

#inscottwetrust
#nonebetteratthatcaper
#signhimforlife

I wonder what this ultimately means for the quality of the game.

The overall quality of the footy being played has dropped off imo, and further dilution is going to exacerbate that.

Some might say the bumbling footy we're seeing has created a bit of excitement due to the uncertainty and unexpected results, but it makes for pretty ordinary viewing at times too.

I wonder what this ultimately means for the quality of the game.

The overall quality of the footy being played has dropped off imo, and further dilution is going to exacerbate that.

Some might say the bumbling footy we're seeing has created a bit of excitement due to the uncertainty and unexpected results, but it makes for pretty ordinary viewing at times too.
I don't disagree but it's a trend that you simply can't see being arrested. The drive for the AFL to continue to increase their take from the game means they see more footy as vastly preferable to better footy.

Which has some positive consequences (the eventual entrance of the team with the most moral right to enter the competition since the first incarnation of the AFL) and some really negative consequences (the abomination that is Wildcard Round about to further torpedo the idea that this is a truly elite competition).

If I didn't love the Cats and thus footy at its most foundational level, I certainly accept that I'd be far less drawn to become a fan of the game at this point than I was back in the day.

I don't disagree but it's a trend that you simply can't see being arrested. The drive for the AFL to continue to increase their take from the game means they see more footy as vastly preferable to better footy.

Which has some positive consequences (the eventual entrance of the team with the most moral right to enter the competition since the first incarnation of the AFL) and some really negative consequences (the abomination that is Wildcard Round about to further torpedo the idea that this is a truly elite competition).

If I didn't love the Cats and thus footy at its most foundational level, I certainly accept that I'd be far less drawn to become a fan of the game at this point than I was back in the day.

Agreed.

The end product is suffering from the pursuit of $.

I'm no apologist for David King. And his incessant cries of 'Who's going to play that lead-up, Cameron Mooney role?' going into the 2011 finals series are still some of my favorite moments of footy analysis gone wrong in my 40+ years of watching the game.

Having said that, he is absolutely all over it in that analysis. Based on those underlying numbers over the past six weeks, we probably should have expected 1-2 wins, at most. Yet here we are, still contending for top 4 as we go into the final week of the H&A.

Our coach is clearly the best going around, given the balance of our list at this point in time. And while I don't think there's any realistic prospect of us hoisting the cup in a month or so, the very fact that we're going to roll into September (yet again) with meaningful finals to play is almost unbelievable in my view. He's the cheat code par excellence when it comes to extracting the very best from the very least.

#onyascotty
#lovethisclub
I agree about the coach but react a little (not too much) in terms of the notion (by King and Wheatley) that it only the coach. To me part of us defying gravity comes down to Dempsey, Lawson and Mannagh coming in and probably being in our most important dozen players.

Yes we can't win big games unless the "trinity" play their best...and the coach moving Stewart and Jezza around to try and make that happen is good coaching...but that is critical but not sufficient. We need the role players playing well (from the backs to the tough mids) but also our young guns (including Holmes) are also factors in us outperforming this year - and might well be factors in us continuing to suprise

I agree about the coach but react a little (not too much) in terms of the notion (by King and Wheatley) that it only the coach. To me part of us defying gravity comes down to Dempsey, Lawson and Mannagh coming in and probably being in our most important dozen players.

Yes we can't win big games unless the "trinity" play their best...and the coach moving Stewart and Jezza around to try and make that happen is good coaching...but that is critical but not sufficient. We need the role players playing well (from the backs to the tough mids) but also our young guns (including Holmes) are also factors in us outperforming this year - and might well be factors in us continuing to suprise
I'm with you here. It's not just the coach. But there is also a role for the coach/coaching staff in the development of players like Laws and Ollie to come in and offer as much as they have from so far back. So even as such unheralded draftees kick on and make a real contribution, the coaches are inevitably caught up in the reason for those particular good news stories as well.

Last edited:

When you are younger you are alot keener no doubt so you have to factor that in , but i agree with your point re the attraction of the game back in the day when basically all players were in their correct position so it was free flowing football and exciting

About 30 years ago early 90s , 2-3 weekends ( normally long weekends ) a year id catch the train Friday night from Central station in Sydney and arrive at Spencer st at 8am Sat morning , and i would go to about 3 games , the Geel one and couple of other ones , Victoria Park - Princess Park , went out to Footscray one Sunday and watched them play West Coast , good entertaining game a couple of kicks in it . I couldnt get enough AFL because the game back then was so exciting - and you had to factor in when you caught the train back to Syd it would arrive 9am Monday morning - you had slept in the seats overnight and then you had to go straight to work - hah

You fast forward to today , yes your alot older , but there is no chance in hell of me doing that , 30 blokes all around the ball with all the mauls . If the Afl hadnt brought in the rule changes 4-5 years ago ( and i think they have been good changes ) to try to free the game up a fair bit , then i was ready to give AFL the total flick because it was utter garbage and boring

When you are younger you are alot keener no doubt so you have to factor that in , but i agree with your point re the attraction of the game back in the day when basically all players were in their correct position so it was free flowing football and exciting

About 30 years ago early 90s , 2-3 weekends ( normally long weekends ) a year id catch the train Friday night from Central station in Sydney and arrive at Spencer st at 8am Sat morning , and i would go to about 3 games , the Geel one and couple of other ones , Victoria Park - Princess Park , went out to Footscray one Sunday and watched them play West Coast , good entertaining game a couple of kicks in it . I couldnt get enough AFL because the game back then was so exciting - and you had to factor in when you caught the train back to Syd it would arrive 9am Monday morning - you had slept in the seats overnight and then you had to go straight to work - hah

You fast forward to today , yes your alot older , but there is no chance in hell of me doing that , 30 blokes all around the ball with all the mauls . If the Afl hadnt brought in the rule changes 4-5 years ago ( and i think they have been good changes ) to try to free the game up a fair bit , then i was ready to give AFL the total flick because it was utter garbage and boring

That's a great story, love the passion!

If you could choose our QF opponent, which would you pick?

A) Swans @ SCG
B) Port @ AO

These are the only likely scenarios (will be basically impossible to get our percentage high enough to finish 2nd on the ladder).

I feel like (A) would be the better option, in which case we should probably let the Eagles kick a few goals right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A) Swans @ SCG
B) Port @ AO

These are the only likely scenarios (will be basically impossible to get our percentage high enough to finish 2nd on the ladder).

I feel like (A) would be the better option, in which case we should probably let the Eagles kick a few goals right now.

Swans at the SCG easily. We always choke in the Adelaide Oval finals atmosphere, and I can't stand the thought of losing to freaking Ken Hinkley in a Qualifying Final for a third time.

Also, for some reason I feel like we match up better against the Swans.

So it may have been mentioned previously but if the unlikely event that we wind up playing GWS in the first week of finals occurs, do we play them at ENGIE stadium with a capacity of 23,500. If so, do we as a club have grounds to be a little frustrated? I know the AFL will roll out the “home state” final and “contracts with the MCG” yadda yadda but at some point enough is enough. We are Geelong, NOT an extension of Melbourne. The MELBOURNE cricket ground can facilitate the 7 Melbourne clubs IF they earn the right. Let Geelong play our home finals that we have earned in Geelong and IF we have to venture to Sydney and play GWS at their home ground because they’ve earned the right to a home final, I’ll throw up!

Some folks seemed to get really upset reading the following, that Hawkins likely isn't best 22 come finals

NO ROOM UP FRONT

He was well farewelled by the Cats faithful on Saturday post-match and now it is clear – Tom Hawkins’ incredible career should be over. Barring injury, the champion doesn’t have a spot in Geelong’s forward line, even if he returns to fitness. There is no way he should be picked above Shannon Neale, and if both were selected, Jeremy Cameron would be pushed upfield. That would be a mistake. Since being stationed at full-forward in round 15, Cameron has averaged 6.2 shots at goal per game, which would easily lead the league if held over a whole season. Legendary goal kicker Jason Dunstall wouldn’t play Hawkins and Neale together. And even Hawkins philosophically told Fox Footy: “if I fall short, we have achieved enough”.

A different favourite of Chris Scott’s that may be left outside the starting 22 in two weeks time. All year it has been clear the Cats don’t function as well when Gary Rohan and Ollie Henry both play together and with Patrick Dangerfield playing as a pseudo centre half-forward at times on Saturday, there is definitely not room for all three up forward. Rohan may be left in the sub’s vest come a qualifying final. Henry could have kicked five goals in the first quarter and probably should have booted seven after he was a whipping boy from the fanbase following last week’s loss.

For the Cats, Jacks Bowes and Henry have found touch at the right time. Mark Blicavs was intriguingly put in defence at stages, perhaps as a cover if Sam De Koning’s knee doesn’t get up. Will the Cats regret taking the foot off the throat in the second half? It felt inevitable they would overtake Port Adelaide on percentage at half-time but didn’t quite finish off the kill. Either way, this is Chris Scott’s 10th top-four finish in 14 home-and-away seasons. He has to be the best modern day regular season coach.

Last edited:
Some folks seemed to get really upset reading the following, that Hawkins likely isn't best 22 come finals

NO ROOM UP FRONT

He was well farewelled by the Cats faithful on Saturday post-match and now it is clear – Tom Hawkins’ incredible career should be over. Barring injury, the champion doesn’t have a spot in Geelong’s forward line, even if he returns to fitness. There is no way he should be picked above Shannon Neale, and if both were selected, Jeremy Cameron would be pushed upfield. That would be a mistake. Since being stationed at full-forward in round 15, Cameron has averaged 6.2 shots at goal per game, which would easily lead the league if held over a whole season. Legendary goal kicker Jason Dunstall wouldn’t play Hawkins and Neale together. And even Hawkins philosophically told Fox Footy: “if I fall short, we have achieved enough”.

A different favourite of Chris Scott’s that may be left outside the starting 22 in two weeks time. All year it has been clear the Cats don’t function as well when Gary Rohan and Ollie Henry both play together and with Patrick Dangerfield playing as a pseudo centre half-forward at times on Saturday, there is definitely not room for all three up forward. Rohan may be left in the sub’s vest come a qualifying final. Henry could have kicked five goals in the first quarter and probably should have booted seven after he was a whipping boy from the fanbase following last week’s loss.

For the Cats, Jacks Bowes and Henry have found touch at the right time. Mark Blicavs was intriguingly put in defence at stages, perhaps as a cover if Sam De Koning’s knee doesn’t get up. Will the Cats regret taking the foot off the throat in the second half? It felt inevitable they would overtake Port Adelaide on percentage at half-time but didn’t quite finish off the kill. Either way, this is Chris Scott’s 10th top-four finish in 14 home-and-away seasons. He has to be the best modern day regular season coach.

He's absolutely not even in our best 28 as it stands right now.
Neale hasn't exactly blown the world away but he's been far better than Hawkins was the last 2 months prior to injury, he was horrendous (and it's likely a physical cliff that came, completely excused for a 350+ game all time Champion).
We would need 2 injuries to our 4 forwards and atleast 1 of those would have to be Neale or Jezza before the MC should even consider Hawkins.

He's absolutely not even in our best 28 as it stands right now.
Neale hasn't exactly blown the world away but he's been far better than Hawkins was the last 2 months prior to injury, he was horrendous (and it's likely a physical cliff that came, completely excused for a 350+ game all time Champion).
We would need 2 injuries to our 4 forwards and atleast 1 of those would have to be Neale or Jezza before the MC should even consider Hawkins.

i looked at Tom's stats, and this is how he went against other potential finalists - it doesn't make for great reading if trying to push for his return:

Bulldogs, Lions & Carlton (x2) - 0 goals from those 4 matches
Port & Sydney - 1 goal each match
GWS - 2 goals
Hawks - 4 goals in game 350

I posted a few weeks back that I thought Hawkins could still play a role this year (when he was tracking for a return vs West Coast), but that ship has sailed now. Can't bring a bloke in for finals who hasn't played for 2 months and was in some of his worst form for a decade prior to that.

Even without the lack of match fitness for Hawkins, Neale has been providing more so he gets selected on merit. He is starting to hold his marks and has kicked at least a goal in every game he has played this year (even Cameron has had a few goal-less games in 2024) - tracking beautifully. The only thing he hasn't done to stamp his mark on the side is kick a bag, but he has seemed primed to over the past month to my eyes. I'm backing him in to tear at least one finals game apart with a big performance/bag of goals - the parallels to Hawkins/Mooney in 2011 are too obvious to ignore!

A) Swans @ SCG
B) Port @ AO

It's not impossible, our % will remain the same but if Freo win by 20+ then Port's will drop below ours.

Intriguing year.
No real standouts for premiers.
I think the cats go in as one of the weaker contenders but still a chance.
Some Jekyll and Hyde teams in the bottom 4 that could do some damage
ABH ( anyone but Hawthorn!)
I think that is the point….we focus (understandably) on how inconsistent the Cats are and therefore find it hard to predict that we could win the flag….

But equally of importance is that every other team has played inconsistently - even when they are winning.

If Port play like they did against swans there is no way we beat them…but if they play like they did against us for 3 quarters maybe we can…

Only consistent teams in last 4-5 weeks is hawthorn and bulldogs. But likely they play each other in elimination finals week one

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview How do you see the Cats 2024 Finals going?

Back