Preview How do you see the Cats 2024 Finals going?

How do you see the Cats 2024 Finals going?

• Out in straight sets (two losses not making the Prelim)

Votes: 36 34.3%
  • Preliminary Final loss (means they win one game in the finals)

Votes: 44 41.9%
  • Grandfinal loss

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • 2024 Premiers

Votes: 21 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Some folks seemed to get really upset reading the following, that Hawkins likely isn't best 22 come finals

NO ROOM UP FRONT

He was well farewelled by the Cats faithful on Saturday post-match and now it is clear – Tom Hawkins’ incredible career should be over. Barring injury, the champion doesn’t have a spot in Geelong’s forward line, even if he returns to fitness. There is no way he should be picked above Shannon Neale, and if both were selected, Jeremy Cameron would be pushed upfield. That would be a mistake. Since being stationed at full-forward in round 15, Cameron has averaged 6.2 shots at goal per game, which would easily lead the league if held over a whole season. Legendary goal kicker Jason Dunstall wouldn’t play Hawkins and Neale together. And even Hawkins philosophically told Fox Footy: “if I fall short, we have achieved enough”.

A different favourite of Chris Scott’s that may be left outside the starting 22 in two weeks time. All year it has been clear the Cats don’t function as well when Gary Rohan and Ollie Henry both play together and with Patrick Dangerfield playing as a pseudo centre half-forward at times on Saturday, there is definitely not room for all three up forward. Rohan may be left in the sub’s vest come a qualifying final. Henry could have kicked five goals in the first quarter and probably should have booted seven after he was a whipping boy from the fanbase following last week’s loss.

For the Cats, Jacks Bowes and Henry have found touch at the right time. Mark Blicavs was intriguingly put in defence at stages, perhaps as a cover if Sam De Koning’s knee doesn’t get up. Will the Cats regret taking the foot off the throat in the second half? It felt inevitable they would overtake Port Adelaide on percentage at half-time but didn’t quite finish off the kill. Either way, this is Chris Scott’s 10th top-four finish in 14 home-and-away seasons. He has to be the best modern day regular season coach.

I agree

Im going 6-10 goal loss vs port. Will be an absolute blood bath in the midfield and all the papering over the cracks scotty has done will come undone.

Will be over at half time.

Not feeling pessimistic about it, i just think thats where we are at. Its incredible what we have achieved this season with so many young players.

You look at how experienced port gws and sydney are, and its amazing we are up there.

Sportsbet have the game listed as a Thursday night which is also what Tom Morris reported so probably true.

Sportsbet have the game listed as a Thursday night which is also what Tom Morris reported so probably true.
Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Lions have to play Thursday or Friday due to Suncorp having the Brisbane derby (Broncos v Dolphins) on Saturday 1730. Friday makes sense here.

Swans v GWS should play the first game, given Swans played 1st. It also means the loser gets a day break over the winner of Lions/Blues for the following Friday night.

Looking at the finals draw, I have us either going out in straight sets or winning the GF, no inbetween
Look if we lose week 1 we will win SF against dogs/hawks i reckon but then we will lose the prelim it will take its toll.

But if we beat port i think we make the GF amd honestly will probably win it.
Huge game.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Lions have to play Thursday or Friday due to Suncorp having the Brisbane derby (Broncos v Dolphins) on Saturday 1730. Friday makes sense here.

Swans v GWS should play the first game, given Swans played 1st. It also means the loser gets a day break over the winner of Lions/Blues for the following Friday night.
Next week is the bye week so the broncos game wont be an issue.

I think us vs port will be thurs night, the syd derby friday night. Brisbane will get the saturday arvo and dogs and hawks will be sunday arvo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So even if we beat the saints by a couple of goals we still would of ended up third. Makes that result a lot less relevant now.

Not if we beat them by 50.

If we somehow beat Port, then there’s a very good chance we’ll be playing in the GF and from there who knows. If we lose, very real chance we’ll go out in straight sets. Either way, finishing top 4 this year exceeded my expectations and we should all be very proud of our team. Let’s go into this finals series with minimal expectations and see what happens. The race is as wide open as I can remember; there’ll be lots of surprises I’m sure.

Both Damian Barrett (on AFL.com.au) and Tom Morris (Ch9) have reported:

Thursday Port v Cats
Friday Dogs v Hawks
Sat Swans v GWS, Lions v Blues

So if we win we go straight to an MCG prelim vs one of the syd teams (i dont see brisbane beating either).

If we lose we get the dogs or hawks at the G followed by a rested swans/giants away?

Pretty big carrot to win this game.

Look if we lose week 1 we will win SF against dogs/hawks
With the form those teams are in, I wouldn't be so confident. Those teams are incredibly dangerous, and whichever one wins first week will be brimming with confidence. We played the Hawks well at our own ground some weeks ago, but whether we'd be able to do the same on the MCG and against a side that plays quick surge footy remains to be seen. I feel we'll get caught out for speed against them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview How do you see the Cats 2024 Finals going?

Back