Preview How do you see the Cats 2024 Finals going?

How do you see the Cats 2024 Finals going?

• Out in straight sets (two losses not making the Prelim)

Votes: 36 34.3%
  • Preliminary Final loss (means they win one game in the finals)

Votes: 44 41.9%
  • Grandfinal loss

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • 2024 Premiers

Votes: 21 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think our issue is we have struggled at stoppages and especially in the wet games where there are lots of stoppages. Definitely, there was a noticeably uptick when Danger returned and Stewart was inserted in the middle, but even with that we've still had quarters where we have collapsed.

I think our finals campaign lives and dies by how much we get from Stanley and weather conditions.
I'd say we've only had 1.5 horror games at stoppages over the past 9 weeks. That scrappy game in the wet against Footscray, and the second half fade out against St Kilda on the fast deck. Otherwise I feel like we've been competitive enough to let our defenders and forwards get to work.

We need to put Port under the pump like we did against Freo and hope they make silly mistakes under pressure. Then we must be deadly efficient on our counter attacks or free clearances.

A huge challenge but not impossible.

Depends entirely on week 1- IF we win, we could make a GF again. If we lose, I think straight sets.
To be honest...

It heavily depends on How the cats go vs Port on Thursday.

Cats lose to Port , they face the winner vs the Hawks or Dogs. A small chance of getting out in straight sets.

Cats Beat Port in the Qulaifying final, I see them winning the flag.

To be honest...

It heavily depends on How the cats go vs Port on Thursday.

Cats lose to Port , they face the winner vs the Hawks or Dogs. A small chance of getting out in straight sets.

Cats Beat Port in the Qulaifying final, I see them winning the flag.
Thanks, sounds like we are in agreement

Thanks, sounds like we are in agreement

I dont think the cats were terrible last season, they just lost a couple of narrow games too many.

Again... just like the cats 2022 flag, I think the toughest bit is the Qualifying final. Once you get that narrow win on thursday, I think the cats will be more relaxed.

I dont think the cats were terrible last season, they just lost a couple of narrow games too many.

Again... just like the cats 2022 flag, I think the toughest bit is the Qualifying final. Once you get that narrow win on thursday, I think the cats will be more relaxed.
In 22, we were a pretty complete team- each player was fit, fresh, knew their roles and pumped each other up. We were very stable. DeK was a revelation at FB, Stanley was at his peak, ditto CGuthrie, Danger, Duncan, Rohan, Selwood, Stengle, Close, Smith, Cameron, Hawkins, Henry, Kolo, Miers; the others followed suit.
This year, we play 2 great quarters at best, and then struggle, and many of those aged stars are in the twilight for sure, if not past it.
We are not angry about it, actually pretty proud- some newer kids are really playing well.
Time will tell.

Last edited:
I'll be nervous if we have to go through Hawthorn.

Mitchell has done well as coach, and they're rebuilding better and faster than hoped.
Agreed, but they do see us as their current nemesis. Would much prefer direct entry to the prelim. Would be great for our list and supporters.

Even more motivation for them, and tbh, if there's one team who always give it their all, it's them.

Us not so much.

I hate Hawthorn, but do admire their tenacity. They never, ever give up.

A reason why they've been so successful.
Best we avoid the need to play them

They won't fear any opposition and nor will we.

It's finals time, not "assume the foetal position" month.
Still, we would all prefer direct entry to the prelim if we have flag hopes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are obsessed with Port Adelaide mate.

They are a very good team but nothing more.
There's a reason why many have implied this is the most evenly contested season in recent times.
Obsessed?
We ARE playing Port, and a poster says if we stop WINES we win.
Surely JHF and Butters are equally, or moreso, players we need to deal with. Why not take posts in context b4 jumping at shadows.
If we were playing Swans, it'd be all about Heeney, Warner, Gulden, Papley, etc....

In 22, we were a pretty complete team- each player was fit, fresh, knew their roles and pumped each other up. We were very stable. DeK was a revelation at FB, Stanley was at his peak, ditto CGuthrie, Danger, Duncan, Rohan, Selwood, Stengle, Close, Smith, Cameron, Hawkins, Henry, Kolo, Miers; the others followed suit.
This year, we play 2 great quarters at best, and then struggle, and many of those aged stars are in the twilight for sure, if not past it.
We are not angry about it, actually pretty proud- some newer kids are really playing well.
Time will tell.
well the only nervous road block was the 2022 Qualifying final vs the magpies. It was only a 6 point win.

Me personally as a dockers fan, glad dockers got 5th that 2022 season rather than 4th.

Had Freo got 4th, dockers would of likely to be belted by the cats in the Qualifying final. Then face either the swans or magpies in a semi final in Perth. Either swans or magpies would be confident in beating freo as they both did it late in the season in Perth. So essentially freo would of went out in straight sets.

Since freo got 5th with that 15 win, 6 losses and 1 draw record, I am glad on how it panned out. Dockers won an elim final vs the dogs. that was our 1st final since beating the swans in 2015.

had to get an Elim finals win that year in 2022. Had we not won that final, the finals drought would be close to 10 seasons.

11th best defence this year, if I'm not mistaken? That is not going to win us a Premiership.

Limitations of the midfield are well documented.

We are 8 and 8 in our last 16.

Our position of 3rd is flattering, and incredibly inflated because of our 7 - 0 start.

All things considered, it has been a pretty amazing season for a side who is ultimately rebuilding on the run.

If we can win a final, I think it will be a good result.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview How do you see the Cats 2024 Finals going?

Back