Preview How do you see the Cats 2024 Finals going?

How do you see the Cats 2024 Finals going?

• Out in straight sets (two losses not making the Prelim)

Votes: 36 34.3%
  • Preliminary Final loss (means they win one game in the finals)

Votes: 44 41.9%
  • Grandfinal loss

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • 2024 Premiers

Votes: 21 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats a very long break for us. Possibly too long.
Hope the leadership at Geelong has really considered best preparation for a long-ish break leading to PF. Like all finalists, we did come into the Port final after a break (albeit a smaller one than we face now) and started really well so hopefully can do similar in Prelim (he says hopefully :))

If we manage to win a final, then that would be considered a successful season, but as this is a weak year, I couldn't help but feel it's an opportunity wasted if we don't win the flag, because I still believe our best is as good as anyones.

But I guess with the discrepancy between that best and our worst being so large, it's why we most likely won't be winning it.

Do I have to reassess things a little after Thursday?

Do I have to reassess things a little after Thursday?
Ha…yes and no.

Take it that in your (pre thursday) view we have already had a successful season…we have.

But of course from now we need to all get on board with the players and club belief that success is another flag! Even if that just gives us a little joy over the next two weeks!

After last night it’s hard not to get excited.

In a transition year we find ourselves in a home prelim against most likely an interstate team. At worst we lose the prelim and go 1-1 getting valuable finals experience into players, at best we make another GF and the cream would be winning the flag.
Is this really a transition year more than any other? Hindsight is wonderful, but you could argue the only real transition has been Neale for Hawkins. I would call Mannagh>Guthrie, Henry>Rohan, Dempsey>Tuohy a natural progression based on good list management. Next year maybe Mullin>Duncan, Clark>Atkins, Conway>Stanley. The real transition you think will be the big 4 but by then who knows - 27 may see COS>Blicavs, Reid>Dangerfield, Cadman>Cameron and prime Humphries>Stewart. By then the kids will be in their prime mid-late 20’s and we ride out their departures similar to Hawk this year - barely a ripple when all is said and done based on current form. We are following a ridiculous football club.

Hope the leadership at Geelong has really considered best preparation for a long-ish break leading to PF. Like all finalists, we did come into the Port final after a break (albeit a smaller one than we face now) and started really well so hopefully can do similar in Prelim (he says hopefully :))
I think we’ve finally worked out the curse of the bye. It actually suits us with our mix of young and old bodies right now.

I actually had a dream the night before the Dons game that we beat the Swans in the GF by three points so curious to see if I am psychic or not!

The Brisbane Lions board is full of delusion people thinking they are a chance to beat us. If we get the Lions for our prelim I'm ticking off a Geelong GF appearance before the first bounce. Fagan is a mediocre coach. Scott would once again have a field day against him. Another prelim against the Lions would be a dream come true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I think for us to win the flag we are going to have to beat both Sydney teams (assuming they don’t go out in straight sets)…I actually don’t mind what order we play them in. Both on MCG…

Is that like being HALF pregnant….lid a nudge off is lid OFF!

200.gif

I dont mind this because IF we make the GF we are 99 % likely to get sydney and at the G i reckon we will beat them like 2022. We will have to get past gws first though which wont be easy i think they can really trouble us-hopefully the week off helps us run the game out better than them.

We aren't a fantastic side like we were in 2022. So I'm not getting carried away. Any of the remaining sides could beat us, and beat us well depending on which Geelong rolls out there.

However we have put ourselves in a strong position. There's no denying that. We have a chance at a flag with:

-A week off before the prelim. Look at our record in prelims after playing a semi. It isn't pretty.
-Two interstate sides to beat, at the MCG.
-Pretty much no premiership players in the remaining teams. Parker for Sydney. Breust and Gunston who are very peripheral players for Hawthorn.
-Plenty of finals and premiership experience in our team.
-A good dose of hungry youth who are desperate for success.

2012-2014 there was an incredible opposition side in the way. 2016 was a blown chance, but we weren't very good either. 2017-2020 there was a great side (better than the sum of their parts) in the way. 2024 there are good sides, but none proven to be great yet. GWS and Sydney have potential. But until then we have a realistic chance to nab another flag.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview How do you see the Cats 2024 Finals going?

Back