Preview How do you see the Cats 2024 Finals going?

How do you see the Cats 2024 Finals going?

• Out in straight sets (two losses not making the Prelim)

Votes: 36 34.3%
  • Preliminary Final loss (means they win one game in the finals)

Votes: 44 41.9%
  • Grandfinal loss

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • 2024 Premiers

Votes: 21 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you guys know if you will be playing Friday or Saturdauy night for the Prelim? Trying to organise crap for when im in Melbourne but cant find out when the actual game will be on

Fully expect we'll be the Saturday prelim as our opponent will come from the Saturday SF.

Yeah from memory our prelim against Brisbane in 22 didn't get more than 70k odd.
Will be even easier if it's GWS

Will be going for Geelong either way. Not a fan of how those 2 built their lists at all and with Neale/Dempsey/Mannagh/Humphries and how list has been built in general makes you are much more deserving then those 2

Thanks. Feel like ill be able to get tickets given it will be a non ViC team you are facing
Should be, although it might be tricky if it's a Saturday twilight.

It's just too hard for Geelong people to make the trip en masse on Friday nights if they've got kids, families, work etc, particularly on public transport if you want to have a few lemonades before or after the game.

Seems to cap us at that 60-75k for those games over the last few years on Fridays.

If it's Saturday arvo/twilight though, that number probably gets up to 80+, particularly if it's Brisbane bringing their Fitzroy contingent too.

We've asked for that slot on multiple occasions over the years as a result, but only 2022 saw us get it for he QF.

I think this finals series is set up so well for the Cats to win the premiership. Obviously, I know that there are no guarantees. But a few things that come to mind for the positive side of the ledger:

1) In 2022 - we had some easy games at the end of the season, and had some big wins. The question that was constantly asked was - did we have too easy a run to get to the finals? The answer was no. The last two games for us, we had big wins. We were able to implement our gamestyle and practise it against opposition.

2) The QF was always our achilles heal. In 2022, we had to deal with ALOT of external pressure about this very question. Would Geelong fail once again? The boys had to fight through that - and now, this isnt even a questions.

3) Failing after Byes. Well, that's no longer a thing.

4) Failing in a pre-lim as we start off slow after having a week off and then we have to chase hard. That was put to bed in 2022. CS and his coaches learned. they primed their players. It was a professional focused game. I remember Selwood saying this in the GF as he gave the address before the game "Professional"... That collective wisdom remains in the team.

5) Opposition - The only ones who actually could beat us right now are GWS.
  • Sydney are not in form. GWS lost Saturday's game. THey had so many many chances and they fluffed it. Sydney remind me of us in 2016 - we just scraped it in against the Hawks. Then we were demolished by Sydney. I think Sydney have alot of issues and they are lucky to get the PF in their ground. The GF has alot of bad memories for them, especially against us.
  • Hawthorn are on a high, they will definitely have enthusiasm against Port, but I cannot see them being able to deal with us in a GF if they get that far. We have given them a couple of beatings this year. They just copy our version of football at a lower standard.
  • Port... they may have the resolve to beat the Hawks at home, but they will have to have an almighty effort to beat Sydney in Sydney, and then us at the MCG. Especially with such out of form forwards. They rely too much on Rioli and Giorgiadis.
  • Brisbane, they had a great win against Carlton, got to turn it on in the first half. And then they looked a little bit wobbly as the blues put a few together. THey now have to play in NSW against an equally talented team in GWS. They will beat the hell out of each other. THen if they win, welcome back to a PF against a rested Geelong at the MCG.
  • GWS - they really fluffed their QF. They are a very dangerolus, powerful team. I am genuinely threatened by all facets of their gameplan. Elite midfield, one of the best forward lines in the comp, Sam Taylor in defense. If we dont win, I hope they do. They will be our biggest challenge this year. We are honestly lucky that we gave them a decent game this year and that a PF is held at the MCG. They love crowding a ground where their powerful bodies and handpass game can bully an opposition.

Last edited:
Here how I see we have turned our season around -

Backline - Brilliant move to send Blitz back there. I was calling for this all year.. Blitz was having a shocking year. Was not getting it as a Mid, was not negating as a run with stopper and seemed to have lost his confidence with marking around the ground.
Has REALLY shored up the backline, this has allowed Henry/Kolo/Guthrie more freedom/confidence defending and attacking.
Better late than never to bring Humphries into the team... Had been knocking down the door for months, now he is there permanently.

Ruck - Have been very critical of Stanley recently, but has given a really honest contest since returning to the team late in the season. Not getting pushed about, not giving away pointless free's. Not dominating, but holding his own well.

Mids - Danger back has been huge. This has correlated with a much improved output from Tom Atkins.. Mid season I thought he should have been dropped, has played himself back into form.
Bowes has found his niche - Part time mid, part time defender, part time forward..

Fowardline - MANNAH!.. Revelation.. With Humphries, had to fight tooth and nail to get his chance. Permanent fixture now..
Neale - Since becoming #2 tall, the teams fortunes have changed. Without dominating, he creates a great contest, doesn't get beaten easily, and brings smalls into the game.
Cameron - With no Hawkins in the side, has been able to play more minutes deep forward and has found some super form..
Smalls - With a better forwardline structure, more contests hitting the ground, all smalls have hit form..

The win on Thursday has likely set us as premiership favourites..

We have been pretty good for a while now, with glaring exceptions against the Doggies and a half against the Saints.

Apart from being done in the contest, on those occasions we fell into the trap of bombing it long down the line - basically our cause of death in several finals series gone past.

We seem to have stopped doing that but it might become tempting if serious pressure is applied to our mids. This is why I think one of our most important players going forward is Ollie Henry. If he can share the chocolates with his direct opponent that will go a long was to us winning a PF or even a GF. It will ensure the opposition don't get easy rebounds whilst giving space for Cameron and Neale.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's like the Count in Sesame Street. He goes all in on the "Stat of the Day".

He knows there are heaps of variables (incl. externalities outside a Team's control)
Most overrated stat in football is stats. Kingy could become a far better footy analyst if they took the stats away from him, that way he can just watch the game and try to work out the game and plays himself, analysing with his own analytic mind.... oops, I'm not so sure that's such a good idea either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview How do you see the Cats 2024 Finals going?

Back