How far can Essendon go?

Remove this Banner Ad

utility said:
They have an outside chance of winning next week but won't make the GF. Ironically the further Essendon go, the further they are from a premiership. They won't win a flag with their current list (won't get within a mile of Brisbane), and each week into the finals means -2 rungs down for each draft pick.

Yeah I'm really dissapointed we won yesterday, pick 12 is just so much more appealing than 14! Shame on you Bombers for letting a golden opportunity slip.

We're going nowhere, fast.

In $ hithouse form. What a horrible game yesterday - no accountability whatsover. We play like that against a decent team, we will cop the mother of all hidings.

Sad thing is we may ar$e our way into a prelim final, and then not get the firecracker shoved up our collective ar$es that we need this off season. A very disapointing year that may be overshadowed by a lucky finals draw.

utility said:
They have an outside chance of winning next week but won't make the GF. Ironically the further Essendon go, the further they are from a premiership. They won't win a flag with their current list (won't get within a mile of Brisbane), and each week into the finals means -2 rungs down for each draft pick.

Very true.... sad, but true.

C'mon Bomber fans ..........a little optimism please!

Port will smash the Cats today.........no doubt at all.

then

Bombers v Cats MCG................Cats inexperienced in finals, no great liking for the MCG, no gun forwards on the big stage...................Bomber win!

then

Bombers v Lions MCG...............no Brown, no Lynch................we owe 'em................Bomber Win! ;)

Port v Saints at AAMI..................Port easily.

Bombers v Port Grand Final.......................Port NFI about Grand Finals............Hird to win Norm Smith again!

yeh baby!

ok ok ok...............so i'm a little optimistic.............aint a crime is it?

but like Big Kev............."I'm Excited"! :p

VANDA said:
C'mon Bomber fans ..........a little optimism please!

Port will smash the Cats today.........no doubt at all.

then

Bombers v Cats MCG................Cats inexperienced in finals, no great liking for the MCG, no gun forwards on the big stage...................Bomber win!

then

Bombers v Lions MCG...............no Brown, no Lynch................we owe 'em................Bomber Win! ;)

Port v Saints at AAMI..................Port easily.

Bombers v Port Grand Final.......................Port NFI about Grand Finals............Hird to win Norm Smith again!

yeh baby!

ok ok ok...............so i'm a little optimistic.............aint a crime is it?

but like Big Kev............."I'm Excited"! :p

Oh how I would love to come back to that post at the end of September and bow at you for your foresight into the future!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Yze_Magic said:
they will go nowhere

barely beat a Neitz-less Melbourne, by less than a goal

pathetic effort from the Scum
True, to only beat Melbourne by 5 points in a final is indeed a pathetic effort. The expectation is 60+ given Melbourne's history of record breaking defeats in September.

cmon Ari / Marcuz................common sense has no place on BigFooty.................geezsch though you 2 would have known that............just tryin to keep the spirits up........................and ya never know in September.........................anything can happen & often does........................... ;)

I love the smell of victory on a Sunday morning! :p

It really will be a travesty if we go past next week considering our form, but who knows? McPhee and just possibly Rioli back and a couple of the softest ones out. Still too many soft guys in the side for mine to win finals. If Geelong win today, then we're gone next week. If not, we're about a 30% chance next week.

Why should we worry about where our first draft pick is? Hawthorn and Richmond are probably looking forward to trading priority picks with us!

utility said:

It goes a bit deeper than that. Sheedy's deperate to get Essendon into the finals every year, even if means jeopardising their chances of winning a flag, by playing older more experienced player at the expense of developing younger talent. Recruiting Allan and Murphy is an example. Hence the current state of Essendon's list. By contrast StKilda and Geelong have made the big decisions and coped a fews years of pain and are now reaping the rewards. Pagan is doing a similar thing with the Blues. Unlike Sheedy, these coaches are trying to build top-4 teams that can match it with Brisbane and win flags, rather than just making up the numbers to please supporters and club officials. It's been a long time since Sheedy has had to rebuild his list. Not sure if he's up to it anymore :)

Choota said:
All the way to the pub next Monday.

they are finished , they are on the end of this squads road, Hird will be gone or too old and a few others, they've got nothing but nancy boys coming through so it is the end for the nonces of the northern suburbs for 5-6 years, and it will give me more pleasure to se those imbeciles down the bottom than even Port or Collingwood :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

demon_dave said:
they are finished , they are on the end of this squads road, Hird will be gone or too old and a few others, they've got nothing but nancy boys coming through so it is the end for the nonces of the northern suburbs for 5-6 years, and it will give me more pleasure to se those imbeciles down the bottom than even Port or Collingwood :D

Don't be too bitter, Essendon list may be lacking pace an talent, but they won a final, and Melbourne's list is still pretty average, despite all the media hype. Having said that, the Dee's have exceeded all expectations, but were found out at the serious end of the year. :)

prelim maybe as long as the umpies get the brown paper bag before next saturday. Oh and just remember that both port and geelong have both if not at least one of the following. a full forward and a full back. Melbourne had neither yesterday. :mad:

parrot said:
By contrast StKilda and Geelong have made the big decisions and coped a fews years of pain and are now reaping the rewards. Pagan is doing a similar thing with the Blues. Unlike Sheedy, these coaches are trying to build top-4 teams that can match it with Brisbane and win flags, rather than just making up the numbers to please supporters and club officials.
Nothing like making a virtue of necessity. These teams became crap, they didn't deliberately become crap. Putting Carlton in that list is an absolute joke. Last year they accepted the inevitable. Collingwood's recruiting policies, like Carlton's, made them crap for the latter part of the 90s (although they beat us in enough Anzac Days).

We did this in 1992 and 1998. We rebuilt, with young guys, and won flags pretty well straight away. I hope we don't pick up any more Murphy/Allan types though unless one's a key defender. We should only be bolstering our most pressing needs

demon_dave said:
How many times have we heard this? and how many times has it ended up as egg on people's faces.

Don't forget, next year's an odd number, peckerhead.

slugger said:
Nothing like making a virtue of necessity. These teams became crap, they didn't deliberately become crap. Putting Carlton in that list is an absolute joke. Last year they accepted the inevitable. Collingwood's recruiting policies, like Carlton's, made them crap for the latter part of the 90s (although they beat us in enough Anzac Days).

We did this in 1992 and 1998. We rebuilt, with young guys, and won flags pretty well straight away. I hope we don't pick up any more Murphy/Allan types though unless one's a key defender. We should only be bolstering our most pressing needs

Virtue of necessity huh. You mean like Sheedy having to recruit Murphy and Allan to get them into the 8 at the expense of the long term. Oh and by the way StKlida, Geelong and Carlton are already beating Essendon quite comfortably. Nuf said. :)

parrot said:
Virtue of necessity huh. You mean like Sheedy having to recruit Murphy and Allan to get them into the 8 at the expense of the long term.
Even in 99 and 00 we drafted some used by players, worse than both Murphy and Allan. They aren't hindering anything long term.

Our list is only 1 month older on average than carltons. FFS.

Oh and by the way StKlida, Geelong and Carlton are already beating Essendon quite comfortably.
On a regular basis?

Anything is possible in the finals. The best team doesn't always win and that augers well for us.

If we get by Brisbane in a Prelim at the 'G, those Magpie fans better think of plenty of ways to thank us for preserving their record.

Essendon can win the flag now.....if i were a bookmaker id rate the order for the flag as this:

Brisbane (still the team to beat)
Port Adelaide (hard to beat at AAMI)
Essendon (excellent draw and many tipped them earlier in the year to be top 2 and playing good footy at right time)
Sydney (Could be the smokey, with their possesion style game frustrating opponents)
St.Kilda (wheels have fallen off and with a possible prelim against red hot port)
Geelong (tough to come back after a demoralising loss)

Remove this Banner Ad

How far can Essendon go?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back