How far can Essendon go?

Remove this Banner Ad

parrot said:
Doubt it. That one still cuts deep. Sheedy still has nightmares of Kouta's last quarter demolition job. :)

Dude you need to move on.
Essendon won the flag 12 months after this game.
What have Carlton done ? Apeart from cheating .

dons will beat geelong next week. then brisbane will take care of them in the prelim with relative ease.

week 3 of the finals with thier list perceivedly on the decline is a very good performance.

I'd expect them to lose next week who ever they play. But football games are a 2 horse race so anything can happen. Also essendon have played some very good burst of football at times that could be enough to beat a inexpericed side like geelong in a big final.

They may have a chance next week, they will play either Port who would have failed in yet another final if they play the Bombers or Geelong who have no real finals experience and could choke like the demons did this week.

Finals football is very different to home and away, Essendon are a definite show against a side that is questioning their own ability to win a final, that and the umpires tend to not play as many free kicks during finals. There would have been 3x as many free kicks in todays game if it was played as a home and away game.

You need a lot of luck in the finals and so far this final season looks as good for Essendon as it did for Collingwood last year. Running into Victorian based teams and/or Port Adelaide anywhere is better than running into Sydney or Brisbane away.

I think a prelim appearance would be a good effort for the bombers who didn't really have a sensational home and away season.

If the Cats lose tommorow as expected, Essendon will have the advantage of playing in a close, hard fought final in front of a huge crowd today and have played at the MCG more often this year for 7 wins from 9 games compared with 1 win by Geelong and that was against Richmond. In reality, Geelong should go in favourites because they've had a better season but it wouldn't surprise me the slightest if the Dons could win that one (if of course it actually eventuates...). The Dons have much more finals experience than the Cats and it could be a big factor on the MCG next Saturday Night.

Whoever wins that though, will be dead set screwed playing the Lions the week after though.

bOmBeR_BoY1 said:
Whoever wins that though, will be dead set screwed playing the Lions the week after though.

Bingo!

No one will beat the Lions in this years finals. They are on song. Even if they lose Brown they will cover his loss with another 'ring in' that would no doubt be on $400k at another club!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just soaking up today's victory atm. Will watch the game to see who we'll be up against. Wouldn't suprise me if Geelong got up, but Port MUST win this game. Another 1st up loss and it'd be almost curtains for Mark Williams.

Essendon would go into next weeks final as favourites if Geelong were humiliated to the extent St.Kilda were last night.

Rogue Bomber said:
Right at the minute I am not sure too many Essendon supporters care.... We're just wrapped to have won what was a bloody exciting game of footy for the supporters of both clubs.

Spot on! Loving the win. Nothing better to knock out the Dees! Now I know how Carlton felt when knocking us out of the Grand Final in 1999... pure elation knowing that they prob wouldnt win the next week. That win was enough!

I know we probably won't get past next week, but I loved the game today, good hard fought struggle, at least it wasn't boring like last nights game, or tonights, best game of the round so far. :cool:

Yze_Magic said:
they will go nowhere

barely beat a Neitz-less Melbourne, by less than a goal

pathetic effort from the Scum

We were Mc Phee less & he has been a better player than Neitz this year, try again loser boy. :D

The prelim is about best case scenario for the dons. I doubt we have it in us to challenge the best.

I can't see 'em getting past either Port or the Cats next weekend, on form. finals are different, of course, but you can't discount momentum through the H&A season either. Tomorrow's result will have a big bearing though, and it doesn't matter who wins - just in terms of how the loser will recover next week. Still wouldn't tip them to beat either of the teams, unless it's some sort of bloodbath and Port or Geelong lose a few players. The bombers have been bloody erratic of late.

Yze_Magic said:
they will go nowhere

Oh, SO you're a 1 man team... Wheres depth? And what about Mcphee and Rioli, oh they're not important at all... FACE IT - YOU LOST! ESSSENDON WON!!!!!!!! :)

Yze_Magic said:
they will go nowhere

Have to agree, both Essendon and the Dees are pretty middle of the road. Would be amazed if Essendon win another game, the opposition would have to put in a shocker. While yesterdays game was a great battle, it was hardly impressive in terms of skill level, and huge contrast to the other 2 games played so far. Sheedy has done remarkably well with the players he has. Any other coach would be struggling to make to 8. Well done bombers. :)

They have an outside chance of winning next week but won't make the GF. Ironically the further Essendon go, the further they are from a premiership. They won't win a flag with their current list (won't get within a mile of Brisbane), and each week into the finals means -2 rungs down for each draft pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

How far can Essendon go?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back