garygee

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Rugby Sucks
How has Dean Bailey escaped the axe for so long.
Here are the historical end of year positions under Bailey's coaching.
Year EOY Ladder Pos.
2008 16
2009 16
2010 12
2011 9
Compare this with Essendon who sacked their coach
Year EOY Ladder Pos.
2008 12
2009 8
2010 14
2011 3
Now Harvey's peformance was arguabley better than Bailey's but his blood was still demanded by the supporters and board. They got what they wanted and a huge turnaround as a result. Are Melbourne so used to losing that they are going to put up with lack of results for years to come?

Essendon always wanted Hird so that was a no brainer unless Knights did something dramatic. Maybe after this season Bailey's contract will be looked over. Is his contract up then?

I guess Melbourne believes that the young players will automatically become good after a few years in the system and automatically turn them into a good team, regardless of the coach.

I think he has escaped it because the club knew it would take time to turn the list around and that there would be plenty of pain before we starting playing good footy on a regular basis.

However his time is running out and he won't be escaping it for long if we keep losing games. Our expectations as a club have gone up yet we haven't really looked up to it yet this year. If we don't win as many games as we did last year then he will struggle to keep his job, and rightly so.

I'll tell you why:

This was the best 22 in round 1, 2008 when Bailey took over.

Bell, Daniel
Bruce, Cameron
Buckley, Simon
Carroll, Nathan
Davey, Aaron
Garland, Colin
Green, Brad

Johnson, Paul
Jones, Nathan
McDonald, James
McLean, Brock
Miller, Brad
Moloney, Brent
Morton, Cale

Neitz, David
Newton, Michael
Petterd, Ricky
Robertson, Russell
Weetra, Isaac
Wheatley, Paul
White, Jeff
Yze, Adem

Bolded players remain on senior list.

Surely Melbourne should have had to forfeit yesterday for playing a player not on their list in Newton???

That clip they showed on TV this am of his post match talk to the players out on the ground and they were all looking at him like WTF? expressions on their faces. Personally I think Bailey is a dead man walking in 2011.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll tell you why:

Bell, Daniel
Bruce, Cameron
Buckley, Simon
Carroll, Nathan
Davey, Aaron
Garland, Colin
Green, Brad

Johnson, Paul
Jones, Nathan
McDonald, James
McLean, Brock
Miller, Brad
Moloney, Brent
Morton, Cale

Neitz, David
Newton, Michael
Petterd, Ricky
Robertson, Russell
Weetra, Isaac
Wheatley, Paul
White, Jeff
Yze, Adem

How is that a justification for him not being sacked?

Has Bailey used the "this is the most exciting young list in the club's history" angle?
Considering he'd have to trawl back a further 133 years of history than Neil, no :cool:

Essendon always wanted Hird so that was a no brainer unless Knights did something dramatic. Maybe after this season Bailey's contract will be looked over. Is his contract up then?
Yep. Up at the end of the season

I'll tell you why:

Bell, Daniel
Bruce, Cameron
Buckley, Simon
Carroll, Nathan
Davey, Aaron
Garland, Colin
Green, Brad

Johnson, Paul
Jones, Nathan
McDonald, James
McLean, Brock
Miller, Brad
Moloney, Brent
Morton, Cale

Neitz, David
Newton, Michael
Petterd, Ricky
Robertson, Russell
Weetra, Isaac
Wheatley, Paul
White, Jeff
Yze, Adem

The players unbolded aren't/weren't very good anyway.

Watch some footy Rioli, how is a is a depth rookie-listed player in the best 22 because he's played a game as a pinch ruckman thanks to 3 of our 6 recognised ruckmen (if you can even count Martin as one) going down on the same weekend with the 4th just having played his first half of the year in Casey 2nds. I suppose whoever fills in for Gilham will be a best 22 player?

Get a clue fella

Well, isnt that the point. He had one of the worst lists seen in 20 years when he took over. I dont get why people think this should be turned around in the space of a couple of years.

The players unbolded aren't/weren't very good anyway.
Neitz, Robertson, Yze, White, McDonald. Bruce (prior to Bailey coming in), McLean and Wheatley were all very good players :thumbsu:

Well, isnt that the point. He had one of the worst lists seen in 20 years when he took over. I dont get why people think this should be turned around in the space of a couple of years.

Still talking sense after all these years hey mate? Who would have thought it! ;)

Watch some footy Rioli, how is a is a depth rookie-listed player in the best 22 because he's played a game as a pinch ruckman thanks to 3 of our 6 recognised ruckmen (if you can even count Martin as one) going down on the same weekend with the 4th just having played his first half of the year in Casey 2nds. I suppose whoever fills in for Gilham will be a best 22 player?

Get a clue fella

What???

All he said was that Newton was still on your list, but was left unbolded.

Get a clue fella :confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

How has Dean Bailey escaped the axe?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back