How high can Carlton go in '08?

Remove this Banner Ad

We can finish as low as 16th and as high as 8th potentially. Our midfield will be good enough to win us several games - but for us to even manage to make the finals everything will have to go right but I don't think that will happen. If we sustain some injuries then we were in serious trouble... as for a prediction I'll take the middle ground and say the top half of the bottom eight. I believe we can improve with Stevens and Judd in the team, not to mention Pagan gone.

Those of you who are predicting top 4 - you're dreaming. We're not good enough... and to be a top 4 side you need a rock solid defense. While we may beat the teams who have an equal or worse midfield, it's the sides that have the superior midfields and good forward lines that will trouble us most. Assuming it's break even in the midfield, there is still the trouble of containing their forward line. Our defense is non-existent, though hopefully Ratten's more defensive gameplan will improve it but ultimately we will need players down there to step up.

Calton has become a better team with Judd..
Is that what your thinking; Dont think that way
Calton will not SNEAK into the finals they will CREAP out of the finals and finish 10th as best

Personally I believe that we can probably finnish 7-8th and just sneak into the finals. I would then like to see us make the 2nd week of the finals.

Many people seem to forget that we have been tanking :eek:(something I'm not proud of), now that we have significantly improved our midfield, our defence can only get better, and our forwards have already shown that they can score goals.

So now when we actually try to win some games, how well do you think Carlton will go in '08?

PS: Please be realistic, I will review @ the end of the season!!!

I believe much higher than you anticipated. From what Kouta said in his book, it appeared that many of the players were not wanting to commit themselves to do things hard. Then Stevens was out of the side, your captain was a lame duck, and Fevola was dysfunctional. On top of that your team was tanking.

I am willing to bet that, apart from the Navy Blue guernseys, we are going to see a different Carlton team next year. New coach, new centre, reviatilsed forward line and no more tanking.

OK, I tipped, tongue in cheek, that Carlton would be beaten by teh Cats in teh Grand Final next year. I just wanted to show my prediction of their improvement, but the insults of MORON and whatever else came afterwards surprised me. I am willing to bet that I will be closer to teh mark than these well knowledged individuals hurling insults at me will be. Il rest a voir!!

There's just NO way Carlton will finish ahead of Collingwood in 08. You're delusional to think otherwise, not just optimistic.

FWIW, I think Carlton could finish 11-16. Teams to return to form next year should include the Bulldogs, Melbourne and Freo. I expect them to finish ahead of Carlton too. Grats for getting Judd, but he won't be any magical cure-all.

You lost any credibility with those predictions. Nice work tool. :thumbsu:

Perhaps Gellong will have a down year and slip back to 10th? Don't laugh, a shocking injury run and loss of confidence and the Cats are just as likely as any other team to not to make the finals. Just as likely is a team like Carlton, surprising many (including themselves) and climbing towards the top end of the ladder in 08

At the end of the day, just because some random internet ****** like yourself THINKS they know what Carlton's true potential and capability is for '08 doesn't make it so.

The only people who can make it happen is the Carlton players and coaching staff, with self belief and gaining some much needed confidence, the talent is already there. It will not take nearly as much as some of you (Carlton supporters included) on this thread think, for Carlton to play finals next year. :cool:

LMAO

so which 8-9 teams are the Blues better than?

After looking @ the draw, I think we are a chance for 13-14 wins which would certainly put us in the 8.

Personally I will be dissapointed with anything less than 8 wins. 9-11 wins would be good, 12-14 wins would be for me, realisticly reaching our full potential for '08. If we win more I won't complain though!!!

I believe much higher than you anticipated. From what Kouta said in his book, it appeared that many of the players were not wanting to commit themselves to do things hard. Then Stevens was out of the side, your captain was a lame duck, and Fevola was dysfunctional. On top of that your team was tanking.

I am willing to bet that, apart from the Navy Blue guernseys, we are going to see a different Carlton team next year. New coach, new centre, reviatilsed forward line and no more tanking.

OK, I tipped, tongue in cheek, that Carlton would be beaten by teh Cats in teh Grand Final next year. I just wanted to show my prediction of their improvement, but the insults of MORON and whatever else came afterwards surprised me. I am willing to bet that I will be closer to teh mark than these well knowledged individuals hurling insults at me will be. Il rest a voir!!

WOW !!! :eek:

Particularly (sp?) from a Bomber supporter! :p:thumbsu:

So back to the topic, Carlton to finish 8th to 11th

Improved Midfield, capable forward line....better administration than the previous 20 years and better rehab team and facilities will all prove the big winners that will help the on-field.

This post epitomises exactly why carlton can not go too high in 2008, it/Carlton contain NO BACKLINE.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You lost any credibility with those predictions. Nice work tool. :thumbsu:

Perhaps Gellong will have a down year and slip back to 10th? Don't laugh, a shocking injury run and loss of confidence and the Cats are just as likely as any other team to not to make the finals. Just as likely is a team like Carlton, surprising many (including themselves) and climbing towards the top end of the ladder in 08

At the end of the day, just because some random internet ****** like yourself THINKS they know what Carlton's true potential and capability is for '08 doesn't make it so.

The only people who can make it happen is the Carlton players and coaching staff, with self belief and gaining some much needed confidence, the talent is already there. It will not take nearly as much as some of you (Carlton supporters included) on this thread think, for Carlton to play finals next year. :cool:

Carlton need to develop some soft of defense to be any chance of finishing higher than 10. Only a stupid fool like yourself would argue that. They are not close to Geelong, Collingwood or Hawthorn's level and won't beat any of those teams in the foreseeable future.

Carlton need to develop some soft of defense to be any chance of finishing higher than 10. Only a stupid fool like yourself would argue that. They are not close to Geelong, Collingwood or Hawthorn's level and won't beat any of those teams in the foreseeable future.

Just because we copped beltings by Geelong and Hawthorn in 07 doesn't mean we aren't half a chance of knocking them off in 08 with just 5% improvement..

As for Collingwood, I believe we will finish higher then them. Their veterans are a year closer to the end of their careers and their midfield youngsters are not as good as ours. Even if their performances have been better thus far. Is easier for young guys to take the next step and shine in a winning team. Let's compare Pendulbury and Thomas to Murphy and Gibbs this time next year after a full season playing with a couple of A grader mids around them.

The youngsters in the Collingwood defence who carried the load for much of the season Goldsack, Clarke & OBrian who all impressed in 07 no doubt, but hardly guys anyone expected anything from this time last year. There is no reason why guys like Jaimison, Bower, Anderson, Grigg, Austin etc can't replicate that. Hell 2-3 of them could have break through years for all anyone knows with a better midfield support ...and all of a sudden the backline doesn't look so bad once you add Setanta, Thornton, Scotland. With Waite, Walker and even Hadlee rotating through there. Our defence could even go from our weakness to a strength by seasons end.:cool:

If all these things happen:

More realistically:
- One of Judd/Stevens misses 8 games or more. The other returns to 75-80% capacity in the short term
- Murphy and Gibbs continue to develop steadily. Murphy rises to 'star' status, Gibbs remains 12 months away
- Fevola has 4 absolutely dominant games, 4 games where he flips out and moons the crowd or abuses the coach, misses 3 games through injury and 2 through suspension, and wins the Coleman medal.
- Fisher drops back to being solid but nothing more
- Hampson is still 2 years away. Cloke plays 5 games, then gets injured because he is undersized. Kreuzer isn't AFL ready. Carlton use a combination of O'Hailpin and Ackland in the ruck again
- O'Hailpin plays in the ruck instead of defence. This leaves Thornton/Jamison outmatched, pinches Waite from attack and the defence again struggles
- Walker confirms the general bigfooty opinion to be correct
- Waite has 3 great games in a row from rounds 6-8, which prompts everyone to announce his 'arrival'. He then goes missing for the next 4 matches, spends 3 weeks in defence, goes missing for another 5 games, then plays a blinder in round 22
- Grigg looks good but does stupid things. The rest get delisted at the end of the year
- Ratten confirms my suspicions and proves that his 0-6 coaching record in 2007 wasn't out of character

If, as I suspect is more likely, the second scenario occurs, Carlton will likely be somewhere between 12th and 16th again.

Take note Carlton fans........ this bloke isn't living in a dreamland!!!!

Just because we copped beltings by Geelong and Hawthorn in 07 doesn't mean we aren't half a chance of knocking them off in 08 with just 5% improvement..

As for Collingwood, I believe we will finish higher then them. Their veterans are a year closer to the end of their careers and their midfield youngsters are not as good as ours. Even if their performances have been better thus far. Is easier for young guys to take the next step and shine in a winning team. Let's compare Pendulbury and Thomas to Murphy and Gibbs this time next year after a full season playing with a couple of A grader mids around them.

The youngsters in the Collingwood defence who carried the load for much of the season Goldsack, Clarke & OBrian who all impressed in 07 no doubt, but hardly guys anyone expected anything from this time last year. There is no reason why guys like Jaimison, Bower, Anderson, Grigg, Austin etc can't replicate that. Hell 2-3 of them could have break through years for all anyone knows with a better midfield support ...and all of a sudden the backline doesn't look so bad once you add Setanta, Thornton, Scotland. With Waite, Walker and even Hadlee rotating through there. Our defence could even go from our weakness to a strength by seasons end.:cool:

Complete rubbish like this is why Carlton supporters are so hated on bigfooty..... Jamison, Bower, Grigg, Austin.... WHOOOOOOO????? Your argument is outrageous. Murphy is a star but I believe Pendelbury is better.

Kruze, you can be optimistic, but don't go over the top! Carlton will struggle to win more than 5 games next year. Take a leaf out of btdg's (a fellow carlton supporter) earlier comment!!!

Complete rubbish like this is why Carlton supporters are so hated on bigfooty..... Jamison, Bower, Grigg, Austin.... WHOOOOOOO????? Your argument is outrageous. Murphy is a star but I believe Pendelbury is better.

Kruze, you can be optimistic, but don't go over the top! Carlton will struggle to win more than 5 games next year. Take a leaf out of btdg's (a fellow carlton supporter) earlier comment!!!

Get your hand off it. Who the hell were Goldsack, Clarke and OBrian six months ago? If they can improve, so can our youngsters, most of whom you know nothing about or what they are capable of yet.

Murphy will go close to winning the Brownlow by the time he's 21. Pendelbury is a front runner who will be left in Murphy's shadow. Gibbs will surpass Pendelbury by the end of next season.

YOU and most of the others on this thread would like to think that the Carlton supporter who suggested the most negetive outcome possible will come to fruition. But deep down, know that is the worst case senario and the probability that Carlton will do a Hawks/Roos of 07 is the more likely outcome.

Enjoy your "almost" year till round 1! Your lot can then resign yourselves to the fact that you are merely a hard working, admirable but ultimately average team who will be fighting it out with half a dozen other teams for 7-8 spot, nothing more. :thumbsdown:

Alright mate..... If you think so.....

Carlton Losses in a row..... 11 and Counting!!!

And you can make it 12 when we bow out in the first round of the NAB Cup and focus on 22 rounds of the real stuff this time! :thumbsu:Will be no tailing off half way through '08 season proper because we played our starting 22 for 4 weeks straight before the season even started, like we did over the past 2 years.

Looking forward to watching a Blues v Pies final (if you lot make it that far) that is. :cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

How high can Carlton go in '08?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back