How high can Carlton go in '08?

Remove this Banner Ad

Given that Melbourne finished in the finals last year and were widely tipped to challenge for the flag this year (as well as their repeated 'yo-yoing' between top and bottom) I would say that there is more evidence of Melbourne tanking the season than Carlton. At least Carlton have been consistent in being a crap side over the last 5 years.

Get real. We were smashed by injuries. Once we were 0-9 it would have been dead easy for us to "convincingly" snare a PP, but instead we kept trying to win with half a fit squad and managed to.

Carlton in 08?? well... you finally have A good player and some yet to prove themselves draft picks, but you dont have a backline and no matter what Fevola promises.... theres gonna be some off field drama because he's a drunken loser. I foresee a more competitive Carlton in 08, closer games and a couple of gutsy wins but its gonna take another year or two until we'll see any real signs of success and another 2 until I really give a sh*t.
:D

Get real. We were smashed by injuries. Once we were 0-9 it would have been dead easy for us to "convincingly" snare a PP, but instead we kept trying to win with half a fit squad and managed to.

Definately agree with that, while Carlton and Richmond were plain awful this year, Melbourne were absolutely decimated by injuries and still had the passion to pull off a few wins. Be interesting to see how they go next year as I had them penciled in top 6 last year.

Get your hand off it. Who the hell were Goldsack, Clarke and OBrian six months ago? If they can improve, so can our youngsters, most of whom you know nothing about or what they are capable of yet.

Murphy will go close to winning the Brownlow by the time he's 21. Pendelbury is a front runner who will be left in Murphy's shadow. Gibbs will surpass Pendelbury by the end of next season.

YOU and most of the others on this thread would like to think that the Carlton supporter who suggested the most negetive outcome possible will come to fruition. But deep down, know that is the worst case senario and the probability that Carlton will do a Hawks/Roos of 07 is the more likely outcome.

Enjoy your "almost" year till round 1! Your lot can then resign yourselves to the fact that you are merely a hard working, admirable but ultimately average team who will be fighting it out with half a dozen other teams for 7-8 spot, nothing more. :thumbsdown:

Goldsack was an u18 player
Clarke was being touted as the "Chris Judd" of Gaelic football
O'Brien had shown promise at the senior level.

"murphy will go close to a brownlow by the time he's 21". You know that this is not true, get your hand off it.

YOU would like to think that you will be the Hawks/Roos of 08 but it will not happen. Your midfield will win you 1 or 2 extra games but with just 1 gun forward, a few more half decent ones, no backline and no spirit how well do you honestly think you will go? What is going to happen when you come up against the forward might of a team like Hawthorn or Geelong or even a team with many "potential" matchwinners like Collingwood? Carlton can simply not match up on these teams.

Did you watch any Pies games this year? If you honestly think that Carlton can reach the same level as Collingwood did this year next year then you are the one that is dreaming.

The future is definentely, unfortunately, bright for carlton but it will not happen next year.

Those predicting Carlton will finish top 4 are getting ahead of themselves I think.

For example, compare Essendon 07 to Carlton 08:
Ess Backline >> Carlton Backline
Ess Ruck == Carlton Ruck (both just about as crap)
Ess Forward line > Carlton Forward line
Ess Mid < Carlton Mid
Both teams are comparable as both have considerable holes in them, though i'd think Carlton's are definitely larger.
Essendon had a much stronger then expected season, but still only finished 12th. In order to achieve that they also had to win several very close games that ended up being won in the last quarter.
The difference here I think is that Carlton's side will be too inexperienced to win the close ones next year. Predicting 10th-13th.

Those predicting Carlton will finish top 4 are getting ahead of themselves I think.

For example, compare Essendon 07 to Carlton 08:
Ess Backline >> Carlton Backline
Ess Ruck == Carlton Ruck (both just about as crap)
Ess Forward line > Carlton Forward line
Ess Mid < Carlton Mid
Both teams are comparable as both have considerable holes in them, though i'd think Carlton's are definitely larger.
Essendon had a much stronger then expected season, but still only finished 12th. In order to achieve that they also had to win several very close games that ended up being won in the last quarter.
The difference here I think is that Carlton's side will be too inexperienced to win the close ones next year. Predicting 10th-13th.
Calton at best will play in 1 final but will get belted(no final experience) at worst 13th..

You lost any credibility with those predictions. Nice work tool. :thumbsu:

Perhaps Gellong will have a down year and slip back to 10th? Don't laugh, a shocking injury run and loss of confidence and the Cats are just as likely as any other team to not to make the finals. Just as likely is a team like Carlton, surprising many (including themselves) and climbing towards the top end of the ladder in 08

At the end of the day, just because some random internet ****** like yourself THINKS they know what Carlton's true potential and capability is for '08 doesn't make it so.

The only people who can make it happen is the Carlton players and coaching staff, with self belief and gaining some much needed confidence, the talent is already there. It will not take nearly as much as some of you (Carlton supporters included) on this thread think, for Carlton to play finals next year. :cool:

Delusional *******, let me just remind you that this entire forum is a place for airing opinions. Good luck to you for your opinions, although I couldn't give 2 shits about them or how Carlton goes next year. They're unlikely to be a threat to Geelong and that's all I care about in this context.

Oh by the way:

the talent is already there

No, idiot, it's not.

Calton at best will play in 1 final but will get belted(no final experience) at worst 13th..
Yeah I would think so.
It's not just having no finals experience either, its also no winning experience. The boys are going to have to learn how to win again, and additionally learn how to finish games off.

If all these things happen:

- Judd and Stevens both return to full capacity
- Murphy and Gibbs development is accelerated as much as can be reasonably expected, and become fully-fledged midfield stars
- Fevola is injury (physical and mental) free, and returns to his '06 form
- Fisher plays as well as he did in 07
- Hampson bulks up and becomes a ruck option, Cloke stays in injury-free as a backup and Kreuzer is AFL-ready
- O'Hailpin keeps developing and can hold down a KP defence spot, Jamison bulks up and becomes another KP option
- Walker realises his potential
- Waite finds some consistency
- One or more of Grigg, Hartlett, Anderson, Bower, Bentick, Wiggins takes a big step forward and becomes a decent player
- Ratten proves himself to be a competent coach, and demonstrates that the horrific coaching errors he made late in 2007 (leaving 3rd-gamer Jamison on Matthew Lloyd one-out in the last quarter, playing Saddington on Rocca and not O'Hailpin, failing to rotate the midfield against Port) were in fact deliberate ploys as part of a 'tanking' strategy, and not just evidence he can't coach.

If all that happens, Carlton will be a top 4 team. Likelihood of that occuring? Probably 1 in 1000.

More realistically:
- One of Judd/Stevens misses 8 games or more. The other returns to 75-80% capacity in the short term
- Murphy and Gibbs continue to develop steadily. Murphy rises to 'star' status, Gibbs remains 12 months away
- Fevola has 4 absolutely dominant games, 4 games where he flips out and moons the crowd or abuses the coach, misses 3 games through injury and 2 through suspension, and wins the Coleman medal.
- Fisher drops back to being solid but nothing more
- Hampson is still 2 years away. Cloke plays 5 games, then gets injured because he is undersized. Kreuzer isn't AFL ready. Carlton use a combination of O'Hailpin and Ackland in the ruck again
- O'Hailpin plays in the ruck instead of defence. This leaves Thornton/Jamison outmatched, pinches Waite from attack and the defence again struggles
- Walker confirms the general bigfooty opinion to be correct
- Waite has 3 great games in a row from rounds 6-8, which prompts everyone to announce his 'arrival'. He then goes missing for the next 4 matches, spends 3 weeks in defence, goes missing for another 5 games, then plays a blinder in round 22
- Grigg looks good but does stupid things. The rest get delisted at the end of the year
- Ratten confirms my suspicions and proves that his 0-6 coaching record in 2007 wasn't out of character

If, as I suspect is more likely, the second scenario occurs, Carlton will likely be somewhere between 12th and 16th again.

Mate that's not realistic,that's pessimistic in the extreme!!
I don't know where we'll finish,I expect some degree of improvement,but your post is just fuel for opposition supporters.
I know one thing we'll beat the filth and the Hawks next year,bookmark it !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

13-16th is where the Blues will finish in 2008, adding Judd to a very bad list won't improve Carlton by more than a game or two.

I wonder why alot of Carlton supporters,think that having Chris Judd in there side will solve the problems they had last year?

Judd is without a doubt an absolute champion, but he won't bring the same result to Carlton as he hid West Coast. The main reason is because at West Coast he was surrounded by class on the feild to help him, at Carlton there is nowhere near the same class he had surrounding him.

He will still be an extremely good player,but he is going to have to work harder than ever before to have the same impact.

Judd is without a doubt an absolute champion, but he won't bring the same result to Carlton as he hid West Coast. The main reason is because at West Coast he was surrounded by class on the feild to help him, at Carlton there is nowhere near the same class he had surrounding him.

He will still be an extremely good player,but he is going to have to work harder than ever before to have the same impact.

Everybody saying Judd won't win Carlton games you are being very narrow minded as all Carlton supporters are saying Judd will help/assist!!!

There is so much more than just Judd going on, but others just can't look past him.

He will be added to a midfield that will rotate a fit Stevens, Hadley, Simpson, Murphy, Carrazzo, Gibbs, Walker, Scotland, Jackson....very solid midfield, might be the mag 4 that Bris and WC had, but it'll trouble teams.

Our Forward will trouble most teams....you have Fev, Waite, Fisher, Betts, Houlihan will play forward in 2008 and add in a rest Judd, Murphy, Cloke it will be very hard to man up!!!

Our backs will be where will find it hard, but Setanta will play FB all year and won't be used to fill gaps (was very good at full back in early 2007...stopping some big names and kept Hall goaless), add in Thorton, Jamison, Bower, Scotland and Walker if not used in the middle and they will fit to the death...

Our rucks will be better, Cloke will be back (you might say he is nothing but he is young) add in A O'hAilpin and Hampson and they will all battle but our midfield will then need to get the ball from there.

We are a much faster team in 2008 and will trouble teams....i think most people are forgetting that middle of last year Carlton were kicking big score...given that others kicked them against us...but we are more settled now with all that has happened in the off season so far....and lets not forget the last 6 games, minus the North game...Carlton we 2 kicks off winning 5 games....whatever happened it showed they are willing to play!!

So its not just Judd...he is a part of a much bigger puzzle....

LMAO

so which 8-9 teams are the Blues better than?

BUMP - Mid year review !!! :D

Well there are currently 8 teams below us and we have beaten Collingwood twice which makes 9 !!!

Well, at 1/2 way we are in the 8 and I still give us a reasonable chance of being there @ the end of the year !!

GO BLUES !!

YEAH GO YOU BLUEBOYS YOU ARE MAKING THE REST OF THE COMP EAT THERE WORDZ AND NOW THEY WILL ADMIT THAT WE HAVE ONE OF THE BEST SIDES IN THE COMP:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

facepalm.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

How high can Carlton go in '08?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back