FTA-TV How I Met Your Mother Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure. But the point is, you look at the best storylines on the show and you can relate to them. e.g.

Pineapple Incident - guy wakes up not remembering the night before and has to piece it together with his friends
Taste of Liberty - guy and mate go on a spur of the moment trip, wind up with a great story
Purple Giraffe - guy throws repeated parties to contrive hooking up with a girl
Slap Bet - two guys have a bet with high stakes about some disputed aspect of a friend's past
Best Burger in NY - guy searches for an awesome place he found once and then couldn't find again

Okay, maybe some of those stories had aspects that were ridiculous and played for comic effect, but the underlying concept was relatable. Even if it hasn't happened to you, you can plausibly imagine that sort of epic story happening in real life (just in a less epic, more realistic way).

Then you look at the main plots from some of this season's episodes:

- Guy tries to convince girlfriend to write a breakup note to her ex fiance whose wedding she ran out on, except with the twist that he ran out on it too
- Guy gets into a crazy prenup war with his fiancee
- Couple run pseudo-gameshow to determine which friends should be godparents
- Guy tries to win court case but gets beaten by a lawyer who pulls crazy tactics to seduce jury full of horny women

Who can relate to any of that?

I just don't think this deeply about TV. I see what you're saying and it makes complete sense, but i have never thought about it this way. EVER

TV is for entertainment and to switch off my thoughts for a while for me. If the characters want to be zany go for it. They're not real. Each to their own

I don't mind this series so far. I guess it has me drawn to find out who the mother is. But i still laugh at it, and so does my wife

It's not like I think about this stuff when I'm watching. I totally agree, TV is for switching off and relaxing. But even though you don't think about why you're laughing, I'm sure you find some stuff funnier than others. And there's reasons for that, even though you don't analyse it.

First decent ep in a while. It wasn't brilliant but still pretty good the only part I didn't like was Barney being on a date with Patrice. Just hanging out as friends would have made a lot more sense. Robin looked pretty good as Lara Croft too.
Agree, has been ok the last couple of episode.

Don't forget the last scene as well.

Yeah was good. Ive been a fan of 3 or 4 in a row now. Again they havent been fantastic, but theyve been good enough i think.

Kudos on Robin lately too. Yow-za

Solid episode. Jesus, Lily is annoying though...the crying was insane.

Actually felt for Robin, thought she was great this episode.

Why are they increasingly writing scripts that call for Lily to do that stupid fake crying? I realise it's a sitcom and reality needs to be suspended slightly, but as if anyone would go from nothing the bawling their eyes out. For that matter I found the Brobibs highly derivative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah it seems the harder they make us try and like Lily (ie, the lesbian stuff), the more annoying she gets. I never disliked her before last season but i don't know, she's just so annoying these days.

Same here. I thought she was okay.
Then i starting reading on here how much some of the other guys hated her, now all those little things i cant get past. She annoys the hell out of me. (Similar to the Glass Smashing episode i guess)

But then when i watch some of the old episodes seasons 1-5 lets say, she isnt anywhere near as bad.

The US have this thing that the TV networks don't like websites being mentioned if they don't exist, otherwise someone could buy the licence to the site and put potentially dodgy stuff on there.

Therefore if the show mentions a website, they make sure that they own the website and can control its content.

Came to a fore some years back with Conan O'Brien and his mention of hornymanatee.com - a site which didn't exist when he initially mentioned it.

Cool story on that here.

I don't know if it's Alyson Hannigan just phoning it in or the writers just writing her a certain way but something's changed. They seem to be writing her to be more of a smart arse too which probably doesn't help.

It'd be hard for her being on a comedy show all the while being someone who doesn't do comedy very well. But to be fair, they don't give her the best material to work with.

All through the show, the characters have been given their own individual quirks. Marshall with his Bigfoot/Loch Ness monster obsession, Barney with the suits, Robin being Canadian, Ted being a dork. What has Lily got? A shopping addiction and loud chewing (which was good for one episode). They've tried to give her the lesbian fantasy with Robin angle, but she just doesn't pull it off at all.

Cobie Smulders has knocked every bit of material given to her this season out of the ballpark.

Thought it was a really nice episode, one that fitted into the classic HIMYM formula that we all tune in for. The only problem I had with it was the writers completely ignoring the callback to Robin's infertility in preference for a hitherto unreferenced mention of Robin's allergy of lobster. Puts the whole storyline in a new light without it.

I understand that it wouldn't necessarily fit into the comedic angle they were working with, of Robin acting like a ditzy high-schooler with a crush who is really only thinking selfishly of her own interests, but you introduce these massive storyline arcs, you damn well better remember them and not just toss them to the curb when they're inconvenient.

I don't know if it's Alyson Hannigan just phoning it in or the writers just writing her a certain way but something's changed. They seem to be writing her to be more of a smart arse too which probably doesn't help.

Shes basically the same character as she is in American Pie

Cobie Smulders has knocked every bit of material given to her this season out of the ballpark.

Thought it was a really nice episode, one that fitted into the classic HIMYM formula that we all tune in for. The only problem I had with it was the writers completely ignoring the callback to Robin's infertility in preference for a hitherto unreferenced mention of Robin's allergy of lobster. Puts the whole storyline in a new light without it.

I understand that it wouldn't necessarily fit into the comedic angle they were working with, of Robin acting like a ditzy high-schooler with a crush who is really only thinking selfishly of her own interests, but you introduce these massive storyline arcs, you damn well better remember them and not just toss them to the curb when they're inconvenient.

They'll take any chance they have to get a cast member in a fat suit.

It'd be hard for her being on a comedy show all the while being someone who doesn't do comedy very well. But to be fair, they don't give her the best material to work with.

All through the show, the characters have been given their own individual quirks. Marshall with his Bigfoot/Loch Ness monster obsession, Barney with the suits, Robin being Canadian, Ted being a dork. What has Lily got? A shopping addiction and loud chewing (which was good for one episode). They've tried to give her the lesbian fantasy with Robin angle, but she just doesn't pull it off at all.

She's always been better when the straight man / voice of reason. But yeah, every time they've tried to make her funnier it hasn't really come off. She's always been a bit of a badass, hence why I didn't mind the previous ep.

She's always been better when the straight man / voice of reason. But yeah, every time they've tried to make her funnier it hasn't really come off. She's always been a bit of a badass, hence why I didn't mind the previous ep.

Yeah, lest we forget the whole "where's the poop" fiasco.

All that being said, I still love the show.

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV How I Met Your Mother Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back