How long can we carry Henderson up forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok let us move on a positive note White and Lucas look good.

Hendo needs a spell in the 2's no doubt about that. He needs to build some confidence and I feel he will respond well and come back a much better player or it.

I've been impressed with White's disposal and rebounding but I am not completely sold on his defensive work. In game 1 against Adelaide, Burton had a number of shots at goal and White was lucky he didn't convert. Then against Geelong, Pods kicked 0.4 and White was well beaten. Today Dawes had his number early and was moved off him.

Don't get me wrong I like him as a player and he is promising but he needs work.

Lucas on the otherhand has been fantastic! Head to my thread about Kane to voice your praise!

Why are we so reluctant to give players a spell at VFL level when they are struggling as Hendo clearly is at the moment? :confused:

If the MC think it's best for him and the team going forward to regain confidence in the 2s, then play him in the 2s. He's scarcely played forward at all since being drafted, playing in defence when at Brisbane. Him dominating for a couple weeks at a lower level would do him a world of good.

Henderson is a young player learning to find his feet in the game. Yes, we can all see his potential. I'm glad he's on our list... but....

You've got to earn your place in this Carlton side. No one's spot in this team should be gift wrapped. You can't be a good footy side if you don't have complete confidence that your team mates have the skill and intensity to back up your hard work on the field.

We're not a 'developing' side anymore. On field success is the only measure of our progress. We can't accept any liabilities on the field.

Yarran has awesome potential. He was dropped back to the twos last season after some sketchy efforts. Has it harmed his development or sapped his confidence? He won his spot back through hard work and he's a better player for it.

It was tough watching Henderson in the third term corkscrew a kick out of the goal square over the boundary line. He blew up at himself. He's not learning and you can see the pressure is getting to him. A stint in the twos would be a good release valve. Give him time to concentrate on his skills in an environment where his mistakes don't hurt us on the scoreboard.

Hendo's shown he can has the ability to get in the right spots up forward. The ball just needs to start sticking in his mits. He can be a very good contributor to this footy team, but he's not there just yet.

If anyone here thinks Wiggins would give the same output as Henderson at the present time has rocks in their heads.

Wiggins would give us much much more at the present time.

Hell even White gave us more as a forward when he was thrown there than what Hendo gave us.

He clearly needs a spell so he can find more of the pill. Nothing wrong with dropping a player if his not performing.

I don't think we can really let him take up a spot in the 22 just to "develop" him. I don't see any other teams having players who don't deserve it in key positions. We need to pick the best side. It's not like he won't get any better playing in the reserves. Will hopefully gain confidence in himself, his body and his position. Nothing against him but he really shouldn't be in the side even if we might not have a true CHF in waiting.

We've traded one of the best Power Forwards in the game for a DUDD who's never gonna make it

No, we traded the biggest screw-up in the game, for a young KP player who we can develop along with our other youngsters.

Fev plays for the Brisbane Lions. You can either accept that & support our current listed players, or jump ship & follow the Lions, a team that has lost consecutive games, despite apparently having one of the "best Power Forwards in the game."

I wonder if Ratten will pay attention to the elite posters from Big Footy and drop Henderson after he sees the result. :D

What point are you trying to make here - this thread is no more meaningless than any other so why choose this one

Play him.

Any game is an investment for the future.

Wiggins isn't an AFL footballer after ten years and never will be.

Casboult isn't ready.

What on earht does Henderson have to do with Waite, Thornton and Grigg who is a midfielder?

Thornton wasn't missed with Walker stepping into his spot and doing a better job of it.

Waite might in this week, but wasn't performing either.

Sooks.

Our delivery inside fifty today was pretty shite.

Dawes didn't do much after Henderson went back.

Bower deserves more criticism for letting Cloke play in front all day long.[/quote]

I thought Bower was unbelievable first game back and Cloke only joined the party late

I don't think we can really let him take up a spot in the 22 just to "develop" him. I don't see any other teams having players who don't deserve it in key positions. We need to pick the best side. It's not like he won't get any better playing in the reserves. Will hopefully gain confidence in himself, his body and his position. Nothing against him but he really shouldn't be in the side even if we might not have a true CHF in waiting.

:thumbsu:

Definitely needs a spell in the reserves, needed to get dropped back last week imo.

The marking thing is confidence, he'll get better with that no doubt. The aspect I think he really needs to work on is his leading and gut running. If he's going to play a role across half forward he's going to have to lead like he actually wants the ball.

He's very young, drop him back and when he's ready give him a recall... the kid will make it.

More than anything, I just don't think you blokes should tear strips off the walls if he's included next week.

We played the second most inexperienced side and the youngest 22 of any team this week. We've got miles and miles of developing across the board to do before we can even think of playing consistently stunning football.

Ratts has developing to do as a coach.

Judd, by his own admission, has developing to do as a captain.

Our midfield has a tonne of developing to do on their defensive game, it is too hit-and-miss.

Henderson has plenty of developing to do just to kick a goal or two. But if the MC think he will develop fastest playing against quality defenses like the Cats, Saints and Pies, then you'd have to back them in.

Of course there is the fine line to tread between winning matches to give us (hopefully) finals experience and blooding the youth to ensure they have enough composure and experience to actually perform in finals.

A long wait until Monday next week - but time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, we traded the biggest screw-up in the game, for a young KP player who we can develop along with our other youngsters.

Fev plays for the Brisbane Lions. You can either accept that & support our current listed players, or jump ship & follow the Lions, a team that has lost consecutive games, despite apparently having one of the "best Power Forwards in the game."
Last year Fev was one of the best going round I never said I wanted to keep Fev in fact I think he is an absolute tool but I'm saying what we've got for him is a young dudd he may develop but he is taking up a spot for someone else who might be more deserving of a game.

He has showed no more than Jay Neagle IMO.

I disagree, but I'd also point out that, regardless, Neagle isn't getting a game with the Bombers at the moment. Admittedly we probably have more tall options, but still.

I personally haven't seen anything from Henderson to get excited about. Zero. If I were Ratten, I'd play him in defence behind the ball where he can react rather than need to create, & let him build up some confidence.

I'm not at all convinced he's a forward at all

Must be dropped. Never seen a bloke with his physical attributes, have so little presence on the field. When you can't get the footy, you at least have to tackle and apply pressure... can't even do that. Tackles like he doesn't have arms.

I disagree, but I'd also point out that, regardless, Neagle isn't getting a game with the Bombers at the moment. Admittedly we probably have more tall options, but still.

I personally haven't seen anything from Henderson to get excited about. Zero. If I were Ratten, I'd play him in defence behind the ball where he can react rather than need to create, & let him build up some confidence.

I'm not at all convinced he's a forward at all

He is a KPF... he is only 20 years old and has played 21 games and only has 2 years of development in the system.

Name me one KPF who came out and crushed it from day one? Usually they spend a couple of years developing in the seconds before getting a few runs in their third year and going on from there. Casboult is going to be a prime example of a developing KPF. He will work in the seconds for his 3 year rookie contract and will hopefully get promoted after that.

Henderson needs time in the twos. Has given us zero all year. Maybe he will be a better backman in the short term, where's he's played his best footy. Forward again once he eventually develops.

Waite in this week maybe alternating back and forward with White. White came to us with ability to play both ends well and gave us more in a qtr up forward than what Henderson has given all year.

Good luck to anyone playing forwrad next week against the Saints. 8 goals might win it!!! lol!

What point are you trying to make here - this thread is no more meaningless than any other so why choose this one
Polls are stupid and meaningless.

It's a crap thread populated by the usual nail biting flogs after a loss.
I thought Bower was unbelievable first game back and Cloke only joined the party late
I took more notice of Cloke taking uncontested mark after uncontested mark on the lead and then passing it inside fifty.

Something that Bower failed to stop time and time again.

I had Cloke as one of their best and most important players from a structural point of view.

It's a crap thread populated by the usual nail biting flogs after a loss.
I rest my case...
Henderson needs time in the twos. Has given us zero all year. Maybe he will be a better backman in the short term, where's he's played his best footy. Forward again once he eventually develops.

Waite in this week maybe alternating back and forward with White. White came to us with ability to play both ends well and gave us more in a qtr up forward than what Henderson has given all year.
/face palm

More than anything, I just don't think you blokes should tear strips off the walls if he's included next week.

We played the second most inexperienced side and the youngest 22 of any team this week. We've got miles and miles of developing across the board to do before we can even think of playing consistently stunning football.

Ratts has developing to do as a coach.

Judd, by his own admission, has developing to do as a captain.

Our midfield has a tonne of developing to do on their defensive game, it is too hit-and-miss.

Henderson has plenty of developing to do just to kick a goal or two. But if the MC think he will develop fastest playing against quality defenses like the Cats, Saints and Pies, then you'd have to back them in.

Of course there is the fine line to tread between winning matches to give us (hopefully) finals experience and blooding the youth to ensure they have enough composure and experience to actually perform in finals.

A long wait until Monday next week - but time will tell.

I cannot find Fridays paper to confirm it but I am pretty sure that the Wobbles av age was only 1yr older than ours :confused:

He is a KPF... he is only 20 years old and has played 21 games and only has 2 years of development in the system.

Name me one KPF who came out and crushed it from day one? Usually they spend a couple of years developing in the seconds before getting a few runs in their third year and going on from there. Casboult is going to be a prime example of a developing KPF. He will work in the seconds for his 3 year rookie contract and will hopefully get promoted after that.

Michael Hurley? ;)

No, I do take your point. KPPs take longer, no doubt. And sometimes they improve rapidly. But you see signs. I just don't see Henderson as a forward & never have. I reckon he could be a great lockdown CHB though, although the pace might be a worry

I personally haven't seen anything from Henderson to get excited about. Zero.
Kicked three goals against Brisbane.

Showed good vision & poise to hit Setanta in the square and dummy Maguire for one of his three goals.

Your supporters would take that game from Gumbleton.

Henderson has played with more intensity than he showed today.

Had a promising game against Adelaide and Essendon where he took a total of 18 marks IIRC.

Just one of those days every player has...

I'm sorry but I actually thought we were in a rebuilding phase. I thought this meant we were to teach our young players.

So we have a very young KPP and you all want him to go into the 2's to get better. Please tell me how this works?

He will make mistakes, he will make the wrong decisions, he will deliver poor disposal's.

But he will get BETTER.

I dont see how putting him in the 2's will help him improve.

Yes it may boost his confidence by getting his hands on the ball a bit more, but what happens when he comes back into the seniors??

Leave him where he is and let him learn against the best. Remember we are rebuilding, have patience, he will be worth the wait.

Kicked three goals against Brisbane.

Showed good vision & poise to hit Setanta in the square and dummy Maguire for one of his three goals.

Your supporters would take that game from Gumbleton.

I didn't see that game, probably didn't take it into consideration. I agree we would take that from Gumby & be happy at this stage

Remove this Banner Ad

How long can we carry Henderson up forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back