Opinion How should we utilise McGovern?

How should McGovern be utilised?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Seems to be some differing opinions on where he should be played.

If he plays in defence, that probably leaves a smaller forward line (with Darling at CHF). It also raises the question of whether we should play 3 or 4 tall defenders.

If he plays forward, then Mackenzie, Brown and Schofield are pretty much locks for defence. McGovern would play CHF with Darling on a flank, and we would likely play one less small forward or mid.

We could also mix it up and have him spend a bit of time at each end.

I would like to see him in defence. I think he is best suited there, and allows us to play an additional running player rotating through the HFF. I wouldn't be opposed to him then having short stints in the forward 50.

Needs a poll. Options: Forward, back or Hunta.

Definitely a fascinating debate. Hard to overlook his contested marking and swagger up forward. But his kicking out of the back line last year was so creative - so often he seemed to find a target 40m downfield, and in the guts too. Lake-style defensive marks are enticing as well.

Defense. He plays best there and there is no room in the forward line with Lycett or Naitanui resting up front. He goes missing for long periods in the forward line and players run off him too much.

I reckon we should play him at CHF. Takes a good mark & presents well. Jk to play FF, Darling to play as the roaming 3rd tall, where he is best suited. We looked shit when we tryed to play him as the CHF, he's just a bit too small.

McG can play CHF, and go back for little bursts when needed.

This is my preferred setup. I think your initial setup should be where your team is most dangerous and this is it. Fitness should be even better this year and dropping him back is a great tool to have in the bag if required.

As for the resting ruck, for me that is an extra that wouldn't be in use all the time, when one of the rucks is on the bench I don't see Kennedy and Darling as a duo that can get it done, adding in the Gov makes us that much more dangerous and keeps some structure.

Hurn plays on from a kickout to Darling who marks 75 from Defence, wheels around and spots up the McGovern who takes a contested grab our side of the wing, handballs to shuey who spots up kennedy leading hard from the goal square

Defence with periods up forward. Gives flexibility for us positionally but i see him as being a very creative defender and great mark of the ball. Would allow for injuries as well. I think lycett will be much better up forward than nicnat which would potentially mean when nicnat rests forward mcgovern could swing up there as well yet whilst lycett is up forward he plays back.

He can be a gun CHF - why would you develop him any other way. We've really missed a contested marking CHF since Qstick left, and when Shooter was playing there it really straightened us up. Add to that the prospect of his great kicking delivering I50 to JK/Frenchy/King... fine dining baby!

Forward for me as he is a better pack mark than JK but JK is the better forward on the lead.

I really want to keep Schoey in the team but if we play Mcgovern down back i feel it is too tall. Now people will the same up front with Darling but if Darlings gets his fitness back after his injuries he is VERY quick and puts on some awesome forward pressure as a 3rd tall. Plus we can get him to spend minutes in the midfield. Nic nat and Lycett are agile enough to not make us look to slow up front.

My ideal setup with fit players:

B: Bennell Emac Brown
Waters Schoey Hurn

HF Darling Mcgovern Lecras
Cripps JK Newman

Ellis, Shep to rotate into the backline

Lycett, Nic Nat, Mids to also rotate in there with Lecra, Darling and Newman.

Defense. He plays best there and there is no room in the forward line with Lycett or Naitanui resting up front. He goes missing for long periods in the forward line and players run off him too much.
He isn't really a natural shut down defender though. Leaks goals. Is just a good re-bounder and floating mark.

He isn't really a natural shut down defender though. Leaks goals. Is just a good re-bounder and floating mark.

All his good games have been in defense. He doesn't have the work rate or engine to be a forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly depends on injuries for me. If no one is injured I'd have him at CHF - with McKenzie, Brown, Schofield there's enough height in the backline and Hurn, Ellis, Yeo and Waters all provide good running. But if either McKenzie or Brown was out McGovern or Schofield would be next in line depending upon who they'd have to match up against.

Also, given our current propensity to bomb it long to a contest, McGovern is one of the players I'd want to have on the receiving end of such a kick. If Simpson can drill our midfielders into finding a bit more composure and seeking a more advantageous target, then we probably don't need him at CHF quite as badly.

All his good games have been in defense. He doesn't have the work rate or engine to be a forward.

3 bags of 2 and a 3, he played some good games forward.

I would however not play him if it is wet. He looked horrible last season when there was a bit of moisture around. I guess this shows where his work rate is lacking as if he didn't clunk it he wasn't getting involved

I don't think mcgovern is ever going to be an elite fitness (relative to other afl players) guy. As such I don't see him ever being that elite marking all over the ground type of guy. Kennedy as far as i know has knee issues which will need to be managed over the rest of his career meaning he can't necessarily play that role as much either.

If playing forward i see mcgovern as more of a floating tall or FF type, not a leading and marking CHF.

I don't think mcgovern is ever going to be an elite fitness (relative to other afl players) guy. As such I don't see him ever being that elite marking all over the ground type of guy. Kennedy as far as i know has knee issues which will need to be managed over the rest of his career meaning he can't necessarily play that role as much either.

If playing forward i see mcgovern as more of a floating tall or FF type, not a leading and marking CHF.

Did Lynch have elite fitness? He was probably our last true CHF.

B: Bennell Emac Brown
Waters Schoey Hurn

Undeniably a lot of talent in that back 6, but it still looks a bit slow to me, I'd love a pacy lock down small defender. However,I think there's a lot of room for improvement in how we set up against stoppages in our defensive 50. I don't have any stats to back this up, but watching us throughout 2014 it seemed like we leaked way to many goals from defensive 50 stoppages.

I've changed my mind on this in the past 12 months. His marking and aggressive attack onthe aerial contest screams CHF, but his creative and skilful ball use has made him a real asset in the back half. Given our Brown and Mackenzie are not great play makers (but improving), I think he's of greater benefit to our team in the back half.

I wouldn't be surpised if he's considered in our best half dozen or so players at the end of this season.

Honestly depends on injuries for me. If no one is injured I'd have him at CHF - with McKenzie, Brown, Schofield there's enough height in the backline and Hurn, Ellis, Yeo and Waters all provide good running. But if either McKenzie or Brown was out McGovern or Schofield would be next in line depending upon who they'd have to match up against.

Also, given our current propensity to bomb it long to a contest, McGovern is one of the players I'd want to have on the receiving end of such a kick. If Simpson can drill our midfielders into finding a bit more composure and seeking a more advantageous target, then we probably don't need him at CHF quite as badly.

I think we were slowing moving towards that throughout last year. By the second half of the year we were hitting up much more targets in the 30-50 range. Those games against the crows and suns we were looking for the lead, and delivering the ball perfectly, rather than the old bomb it in and hope.

I think looking at the poll so far, most of us see him as a swingman. Either forward, with stints in the backline, or Defense with stints up forward. Either way, he will never be a one dimensional player, which is exactly what Simpson wants.

A big part of my desire to play him in defense is the fact that it means we play an additional runner.

We lacked run late in many games this year. I would rather have an extra mid rotating through the HFF than to shift Darling there from CHF.

I think we are plenty tall enough with Darling, Lycett and Kennedy up front.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion How should we utilise McGovern?

Back