Opinion How to beat Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Forward pressure has been non-existent the past few weeks. Really hope we’ve just been going half-arsed but I don’t know if I’m convinced.

Make the most of our inside 50's , of late we have dominated the counts but haven't put teams away & kept them in it , then all of a sudden they bang on a few quick goals & we just scrape home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I think Townsend and Butler make us more clinical up forward. I feel like we've missed that balance a little of late.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kick more goals then them.

No seriously. Graham to O'Meara. I strongly believe Mitchell is very difficult to tag but O Meara can be more damaging although can be stopped. We have enough mids to damage them with carrying a negating defender.

Gunston is a star. I would be tempted to throw Grimes his way and have Astbury take Rough and Vlas take Breust. Gunston I've noticed has done a tonne of damage at ground level. He is deceptively nimble and has a lethal snap. Same goes for Breust.

Townsend would have been perfect for Stratton but it's not to be.

Last edited:
Stick Jack, Jack Graham on Mitchell, Nank has to be covering Big Boy as he is integral to them. Rance to cover Brewst. Astbury on Roughie, Grimes on Porples. That's just off the top of my head.
Reckon Grigga on Mitchell...leave Jack, jack graham that is to attack the center square...agree with the rest!

Seen a bit of Hawthorn this year, good team but never really put under the pump, if we bring our heat, play the game on our terms and stop their possession game with little kicks similar to what the Doggies tried to do, we should win comfortably.

Everyone talks about how great Clarkson is as a coach.

Now lets see if we can devise a plan to weaken them??

For starters I think its important to stop Jack Gunston who seems to be a bit of a barometer and a bloody good footballer and goal kicker.

Stopping possessions to Tom Mitchell probably helps to.

Any other ideas atm??

Graham will put a hard tag on Mitchell. Game over. The hawks don’t worry me at all.

My only real concern is If Grigg has to ruck up against Ceglar or Roughhead for an extended time, I think if we dug up some stats we’d notice in all those games where we got healthy leads and were pegged back it’s a direct correlation with Nank sitting on the pine.

Clarkson will try and exploit our Achilles heel if he can.

My only real concern is If Grigg has to ruck up against Ceglar or Roughhead for an extended time, I think if we dug up some stats we’d notice in all those games where we got healthy leads and were pegged back it’s a direct correlation with Nank sitting on the pine.

Clarkson will try and exploit our Achilles heel if he can.

Can't remember where I saw the stat but when Grigg was in the ruck the oppo scoring dried up a bit more but so did ours. I think visually it can look that way.... Let him go too tall and take away more running capacity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion How to beat Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back