How We Can Hold The Club Accountable (Petition Added to OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Only because it was forced upon him. Do you really think he wants to trade out some of his best players for peanuts, even if he had some issues with them? We know he loved Treloar and has coached him since he was 15.

I can understand people wanting Bucks out for his coaching and gameplan but to want him out because of this mess is pretty dumbfounded. Player contracts should never be part of a coach's job.

I don’t think you’re giving credence to the term ‘coach’ as it pertains to AFL clubs. Yes we have a list manager, midfield coach etc. But head coach at AFL level has to have a hand in it all.

People wanting Bucks’ head because of this mess is also valid in terms of how he has clearly mishandled a huge part of his job with leadership and mentoring.

Don’t get me wrong; I don’t think Buckley is the be-all-end-all of this. But to dismiss his part I think is (most likely,) dishonest.

Surely Bucks has to go you can’t have the coach throwing the senior players under the bus like that. A lying flog

Yeah I think this makes things untenable for him. This completely undermines his credibility & integrity in the eyes of the playing group. What an off-season this is turning out to be.

I don’t think you’re giving credence to the term ‘coach’ as it pertains to AFL clubs. Yes we have a list manager, midfield coach etc. But head coach at AFL level has to have a hand in it all.

People wanting Bucks’ head because of this mess is also valid in terms of how he has clearly mishandled a huge part of his job with leadership and mentoring.

Don’t get me wrong; I don’t think Buckley is the be-all-end-all of this. But to dismiss his part I think is (most likely,) dishonest.

I assume he would have had a hand in saying who he thinks is disposable when told we need to offload salary. It would be a horrible situation to be in as senior coach. Even if he did want them out for whatever reason, I have no doubt he would not be happy with what we received from these exits.

It's a list management catastrophe and I don't think he can be blamed for it.

Regarding mentoring and leadership, this is part of coaching so I consider this to be entirely separate from this situation. Like I said, you can criticise for his coaching but I think there's only so much say a coach has when it comes to player contracts, which is the major failure in all this.

The anger is largely directed at the decisions and incompetence that led to the cap crisis. It should never have gotten to this. Understanding that it did get to this, the best suggestion I have seen was to off load Grundy. We would have cleared the cap issues, received proper compensation and been able to more easily replace him. What happened yesterday was unacceptable.

well that will happen in an alternate universe somewhere in the cosmos. I didnt like the length of the contract and I dont like long contracts for a game that has a heavy injury toll. I also dont like long contracts because I think it puts too much pressure on the player. If the reports about the methods used to determine Tom Phillips's salary were correct, then his smart assed manager priced him out of the market.

Only because it was forced upon him. Do you really think he wants to trade out some of his best players for peanuts, even if he had some issues with them? We know he loved Treloar and has coached him since he was 15.

I can understand people wanting Bucks out for his coaching and gameplan but to want him out because of this mess is pretty dumbfounded. Player contracts should never be part of a coach's job.
Oh please... Stop your drivel... Bucks is a grown man. Did Bucks need to respond to Edmund's tweet and imply Edmunds was lying about Bucks reportedly telling Treloar the players and leadership group wanted him gone? Treloar has confirmed that Bucks had told him this. Bucks was trying to protect his image... Again another example of Bucks being in it for himself

Oh please... Stop your drivel... Bucks is a grown man. Did Bucks need to respond to Edmund's tweet and imply Edmunds was lying about Bucks reportedly telling Treloar the players and leadership group wanted him gone? Treloar has confirmed that Bucks had told him this. Bucks was trying to protect his image... Again another example of Bucks being in it for himself

Evidently treloar is giving a press conference today. If he says that buckley told him that the leadership group said he wasnt wanted, then it will troubling. At this stage, we are relying on sam edments statements and frankly, I wouldn't trust him to say anything honestly.

Evidently treloar is giving a press conference today. If he says that buckley told him that the leadership group said he wasnt wanted, then it will troubling. At this stage, we are relying on sam edments statements and frankly, I wouldn't trust him to say anything honestly.
He had his press conference. Treloar confirmed what Sam Edmunds reported was true and that Bucks had called him and told him the players and leadership group waanted him gone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herald Sun Article
Adam Treloar has revealed Magpies coach Nathan Buckley told him the players didn’t want him at the club, as Collingwood pinned the trade on the actions of Treloar’s netball star partner.

Adam Treloar says he was told “in no uncertain way” by Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley that Magpies players did not want him at the club in what he believes to be a hurtful lie.

Speaking for the first time after a tumultuous month, the new Western Bulldogs recruit said he was shocked to be told teammates did not want him given the strong relationships he had built across five seasons at Collingwood.

“It is what you read,” Treloar said when asked about the reported explosive conversation with Buckley.

“That was told to me in no uncertain way and that did hurt, because I know how close I am with the players. To be told that, when I don’t think that’s the truth, and to be told that there’s some players that don’t want you there when I know the majority of the players love me and care for me, that did hurt a bit.

“But they were adamant on moving me on so no matter how they were going to go about it, it was going to happen. It was a fight up until the end, because I wanted to be at Collingwood.”

Buckley had previously denied reports he had told Treloar senior players did not want him at the club.

“The constant rumour and innuendo is disrespectful to Adam, the club and our supporters,” Buckley tweeted last week.

“We’ll continue to communicate directly and sensitively with (Treloar) and his management.

“FYI, our leaders don’t sit on list management, it’s not their job.”

Meanwhile, Collingwood has admitted that conversations to trade Treloar out of the club began when they discovered his partner was moving to Queensland to play netball.

The Magpies cleared almost $2 million from their salary cap in a four-player purge that included 27-year-old Treloar’s five-year deal of more than $900,000 per season.

Collingwood will continue to pay a slice of his wage while he plays for the Bulldogs, but the amount has not been disclosed.

Treloar’s partner, Kim Ravaillion, 27, and their eight-month-old daughter Georgie, will move to Queensland next year to take up a contract with the Queensland Firebirds.

Treloar had insisted he could make football and the relationship work by remaining in Melbourne playing for Collingwood.

But the Magpies orchestrated trade talks as soon as the season finished.

“We had some conversations with Adam and (his manager) Tim (Hazell) originally around whether his family was going to move to Queensland and whether he wanted to do that and it evolved from having that conversation to he thought he’d look at another opportunity,” Collingwood list boss Ned Guy told Fox Footy.

Guy refused to directly answer whether the Magpies would have kept Treloar if Ravaillion remained in Victoria to play netball.

“That was the catalyst for the discussion. We wouldn’t have looked to have that discussion … it wouldn’t have evolved from that, I wouldn’t have thought, no,” Guy said.

Treloar’s manager, Tim Hazel, said on Friday morning Treloar wanted to stay at Collingwood, a club he joined from Greater Western Sydney in 2016.

“He was really desperate to stay, he’s black and white through and through, he’s extremely passionate, wears his heart on his sleeve,” Hazel told SEN.

“Post their last game there were a couple of conversations that took place between Collingwood, Adam and myself and they just felt it that it was a good opportunity for Adam to go and explore.

“We didn’t rush to that, we still wanted to stay and see out his contract, but as the weeks unfolded things started to change a little and the opportunity came to talk to Luke Beveridge and the Western Bulldogs team and it just seemed like a really good fit and a really good opportunity for Adam to see out his playing career.”

Asked about Ravaillion’s move to Queensland, Hazell said: “It does get a little bit complex.

“There were some conversations around can he handle living in Victoria with Kimmy and little George being in Queensland.

“We were really strong that we felt that he could and that he’d be fine … but they just felt that it wasn’t the best thing for Adam and that he should explore.

“Obviously Gold Coast was high on the agenda of conversations, which we never entertained and obviously it got to stage where we looked around Victoria and the Bulldogs were there.”

Hazell said Collingwood had been kept informed of Treloar’s family situation.

“Collingwood was up to speed with where Kimmy’s contract discussions were at, so they knew going into Kimmy signing with the Queensland Firebirds that she was doing that and Adam was on board and Adam was in a really good headspace and really excited by that.

““So that certainly changed the conversation and where they saw Adam, but that certainly didn’t change where Adam was at that stage.”

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire on Friday backed the club’s handling of Treloar’s exit, saying discussions with the midfielder’s management had been handled with the “best intentions” involved.

“I have been talking to Adam this morning. We are close friends and we get on extremely well and we have built a wonderful bond and rapport,” McGuire said on Triple M.

“But at the same time, as Geoff Walsh (head of football) said, we got to the end of this campaign … we hit the wall against the Cats.

“It is the toughest gig in football … I hate this (trade) period, it has been elongated by the AFL because they want to have trade radio and things … but it makes it a lot harder than it needs to be.

“Talking about Adam, there has been a long discussion with his management about where this would all end up, taking into account his family situation and it was done with the best intentions involved.

“We wish Adam Treloar the very best as I’ve spoken to him this morning … he is going to a great organisation (the Bulldogs) … and we wish him well.

“He hasn’t been short-changed, he hasn’t been dudded. He’s actually got a longer-term contract now on very good terms and we wish him all the best.

“As it got to the end of it … it was about getting new picks in, getting everything sorted out so the club could be strong going forward.”

Treloar’s regular training partner Sam Darley said the truth would eventually emerge.

“One day all will be revealed but all I can say is Ads is one happy man to be a WESTERNBULLDOGS but as much as it’s a business the way he was treated was embarrassing. Understand it’s a business but wow hope it’s all told one day,” Darley wrote on Twitter.

Herald Sun Article
Adam Treloar has revealed Magpies coach Nathan Buckley told him the players didn’t want him at the club, as Collingwood pinned the trade on the actions of Treloar’s netball star partner.

Adam Treloar says he was told “in no uncertain way” by Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley that Magpies players did not want him at the club in what he believes to be a hurtful lie.

Speaking for the first time after a tumultuous month, the new Western Bulldogs recruit said he was shocked to be told teammates did not want him given the strong relationships he had built across five seasons at Collingwood.

“It is what you read,” Treloar said when asked about the reported explosive conversation with Buckley.

“That was told to me in no uncertain way and that did hurt, because I know how close I am with the players. To be told that, when I don’t think that’s the truth, and to be told that there’s some players that don’t want you there when I know the majority of the players love me and care for me, that did hurt a bit.

“But they were adamant on moving me on so no matter how they were going to go about it, it was going to happen. It was a fight up until the end, because I wanted to be at Collingwood.”

so we rely on the printed word in these modern times. I hope the media boys took their tape recorders to the interview so we can hear it for ourselves sometime.

Bucks doesn’t get a free pass on this, Ned is the only one who has stood up, he might be a cr@p list Manager, I don’t know but at least he fronted the media as bad as it was. Treat people with respect and dignity, everything else can be dealt with in time.

Buckley would have been given an ultimatum by the list management/ football dept that a number of players had to go. There is no way Buckley would be happy with this situation - it will end his dream of a flag and eventually his coaching career. - He would be well aware he will not be in charge once we are ready to challenge again.

Buckley would have had a strong say in which players to put up for trade and he can be judged on that and the manor in which he communicated with those players.

But in the end, the people who created the mess are Hine, Guy and the people who oversee them Walsh and McGuire.
These 4 must go.

A poor season next year and Buckley will be gone too. If he somehow manages to bond the group to play above expectations, well then his ruthless decisions will be judged as correct.

But no result will whitewash the catastrophe that has been our recent salary cap management and trading that forced Buckley into this position.

i'm upset at your club's failure with brendan bolton and then it's kneejerk reaction to get in michael malthouse. I'm also upset at the way your club has treated stephen silvagni and i'm worried that you might have recontracted eddie betts for reasons other than his ability to kick goals next season. These are only some of the things that make me filthy about carlton's actions.
Ah good to know Ned Guy uses Bigfooty, how are you?
I wasn't coming to put the boots in

I assume he would have had a hand in saying who he thinks is disposable when told we need to offload salary. It would be a horrible situation to be in as senior coach. Even if he did want them out for whatever reason, I have no doubt he would not be happy with what we received from these exits.

It's a list management catastrophe and I don't think he can be blamed for it.

Regarding mentoring and leadership, this is part of coaching so I consider this to be entirely separate from this situation. Like I said, you can criticise for his coaching but I think there's only so much say a coach has when it comes to player contracts, which is the major failure in all this.

Fair response, you make some good points! Damn shame we have to blame anyone - just wish it was all handled better.

Remove this Banner Ad

How We Can Hold The Club Accountable (Petition Added to OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back