Player Watch Hugh Bond - Debut!

Remove this Banner Ad

Gets the job on every SANFL' team's best small/medium forward every week and does the job he's been set resolutely sacrificing his own game to cut the oppo's dangerous forwards output, completely blanketed arguably the SANFL's most dangerous forward Aiden Grace, holding him goaless and to just 5 possies @93.8%DE, also snuck in 2 stoppage clearances, 2 score involvements and 3 intercepts along with his 16 possies. Might even get a run on ball because essentially he played almost all his footy as a junior in the midfield, probably wishful thinking on my part there though.
I feel that he has been very composed coming out of defence in his last few games too. He is quite strong too. I can see why the club is giving him a chance and I hope that he performs well.

Excited to see what he can do. You'd imagine he'll be told to stick to Higgins like flypaper.

Agree with everyone pointing out that disposal and tackle counts aren't especially relevant metrics for the role Bond has been playing in the SANFL.

I feel that he has been very composed coming out of defence in his last few games too. He is quite strong too. I can see why the club is giving him a chance and I hope that he performs well.
It 's become pretty clear now we saw him as a lockdown defender (Luke Brown replacement) when we drafted him but honestly as Captain of the GWV Rebels he always played midfield and I can't remember ever seeing him play that role for them and I saw almost every game he played either live or streamed.

The only time he ever played specifically the lockdown defender was for Vic Country at the Nationals where he was assigned the oppo's most dangerous small/medium forwards and did that superbly in all 4 games, now obvious that's what our recruiters had planned for him.

OccamsRazorRay

Check out these tackles and bumps, he tackles and bumps with absolute ferocity when needed.
#7 for the Rebels
#32 for Vic Country

Last edited:
Hope he goes well. I imagine Max will be given more rebound opportunities while Bond takes Higgins
I like this a lot, Max has some superb skills and every time he runs through the middle and gets a handball receive he's hitting a target inside 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe, just maybe Nicks can finally see the value in a player being able to seriously clamp down on an oppo threat, almost all current AFL coaches seem to utilise players for this purpose when required and currently very much in vogue.

Maybe, just maybe Nicks can finally see the value in a player being able to seriously clamp down on an oppo threat, almost all current AFL coaches seem to utilise players for this purpose when required and currently very much in vogue.

Against St Kilda?

Yeah, that's a no, captain.

After the horse has bolted………… always ahead of the pack our man

Always happy to see a debutant and don't want to shoot him down before he's even played, but is this another example of Nicks choosing a tough guy who tries hard, rather than someone with natural talent like Curtin or Ryan?

I don't trust Nick's ability to identify genuine talent

Always happy to see a debutant and don't want to shoot him down before he's even played, but is this another example of Nicks choosing a tough guy who tries hard, rather than someone with natural talent like Curtin or Ryan?

I don't trust Nick's ability to identify genuine talent
Persisting with scrappers like Murph and McHenry for way too long is not really comparable to this.

Persisting with scrappers like Murph and McHenry for way too long is not really comparable to this.
giving a guy a chance is exactly what we want, surely.

let's hope he is an upgrade and sees 200 games as a premiership player (yeah okay, over the top but what else do we have )

Player Watch Hugh Bond - Debut!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back