Player Watch Hugh Bond - Debut!

Remove this Banner Ad

Bond, does not seem to have the athletic profile.... i might be wrong here but he looks awfully slow at times and skills are average at best.

Bond spent his time in the Talent League as a tough inside midfielder, leading the league in tackles per game, while his highly-regarded endurance was also on display on Saturday night, covering 15.4 kilometres in the win.

While Bond was impressive as a midfielder, it was a move to defence for Vic Country in the 2022 Under 18 National Championships that caught the attention of the Crows.

The 185 centimetre midfielder-turned-defender tracked Higgins all night, keeping the crafty small forward to just seven disposals and one behind.
Crows captain Jordan Dawson was full of praise for the 19-year-old, telling Fox Footy that Bond was a Luke Brown replica.

“He’s fit, he’s quick, he’s strong and he hates getting beaten and loves these sorts of conditions,” Dawson said.

“I’m excited about what he’s got to offer us in the back half of the year.”
Ben Keays, who finished with 24 touches and one goal, said Bond was “amazing” on Saturday night.

“He’s the guy in pre-season who you don’t want coming to you when you’re playing forward,” Keays told this masthead.

“Every team’s got to have guys like that who are selfless and don’t care to get the ball, they just want to lock someone away.”

Don't want to can the guy, but wasn't he standing Merrett who was named Essendon's best player with 28 touches, and who ran past Bond at the last CB and, if he kept his head, should've won the game for them.

Don't want to can the guy, but wasn't he standing Merrett who was named Essendon's best player with 28 touches, and who ran past Bond at the last CB and, if he kept his head, should've won the game for them.
A kid in his second game, who has spent the past 12 months purely playing back pocket, got burnt by one of the AFL's best mids when suddenly thrown in the middle with the game on the line.
Seems a bit unfair to be criticising him...

A kid in his second game, who has spent the past 12 months purely playing back pocket, got burnt by one of the AFL's best mids when suddenly thrown in the middle with the game on the line.
A mid who absolutely torches us every game

Granted and he’s shown promise and should stay in the team, but he’s far from sure thing yet.

I thought Bond had a decent first half, but then got a bit sloppy (both defensively and offensively) in the second half. That's alright, only his second match. I think he is worth persisting with for the rest of this year at least.
He was taken off merrett in the third and lined up on McGrath, then went back to Merrett after their run on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There you go! He cut his coaches votes IN HALF!
Haha and if you go further back he was only outpointed by Darcy Parish in 2022 and got the full compliment again in 2021 so DABM is on the money.

Last edited:
Bond playing in the centre at the vital last CB with the game on the line does seem like a really weird decision.
And I'm sure a large reason is because you can't trust Laird to man up and be accountable.

Bond playing in the centre at the vital last CB with the game on the line does seem like a really weird decision.
And I'm sure a large reason is because you can't trust Laird to man up and be accountable.

It’s been pretty public Laird played only half the last quarter. Received a massive corkie and couldn’t run - and told the coaches that. So that’s why he was out of the middle. If you watch the replay you will see he spends most of the last on the bike on the bench

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’s been pretty public Laird played only half the last quarter. Received a massive corkie and couldn’t run - and told the coaches that. So that’s why he was out of the middle. If you watch the replay you will see he spends most of the last on the bike on the bench

And because of that we won the dam GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When will Nicks and the selections committee realize he isn't a full time/ elite mid anymore.

Wonder if he was one of the players who looked sore at training today by bigman?
Could be the reason we are half considering Matt crouch?

I wonder if bond is still on the delist pile. Kind of embarrassing as a footy board for us to get that so wrong.

On CPH2371 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not really. It actually makes sense.

The majority of fans who post on this forum would be AFL fans. How many watch the reserves side?

and if they did, they probably have their own SANFL club they watch and support far more closely. Meaning if someone like Hugh Bond plays SANFL for the Crows, they only see him 2 or maybe 3 times a season.

Football is very unique in South Australia and the Adelaide Football Club are unlike many other club, except maybe West Coast Eagles.

Not really. It actually makes sense.

The majority of fans who post on this forum would be AFL fans. How many watch the reserves side?

and if they did, they probably have their own SANFL club they watch and support far more closely. Meaning if someone like Hugh Bond plays SANFL for the Crows, they only see him 2 or maybe 3 times a season.

Football is very unique in South Australia and the Adelaide Football Club are unlike many other club, except maybe West Coast Eagles.
It's tongue in cheek.

Basically any player who is not playing seniors and yet to debut is always going to have their name with a question mark. Hugh as a lock down style Backman is never going to be a star learning the trade in the SANFL. So my post was tongue in cheek. I think our delistings will be from more experienced players not getting a game than young debutants.

On CPH2371 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Hugh Bond - Debut!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back