Recommitted Hugh McCluggage [Re-signed with Brisbane through to the end of 2031]

Remove this Banner Ad

Huh I’m not sure what you’re trying to say here
That you won’t want to let him go as it will just be used to match Ashcroft

So you will pay up to keep him

Alternatively you look to trade say pick 6 and 7 (maybe some sweeteners) for a top 2 pick and get ahead of Ashcroft bid at 3

I don’t know if we would do that deal

Think we’d rather just take Smillie

That you won’t want to let him go as it will just be used to match Ashcroft

So you will pay up to keep him

Alternatively you look to trade say pick 6 and 7 (maybe some sweeteners) for a top 2 pick and get ahead of Ashcroft bid at 3

I don’t know if we would do that deal

Think we’d rather just take Smillie
I wouldn’t do that deal much better deal for you than US I think we match and trade him for two top 10 picks

I wouldn’t do that deal much better deal for you than US I think we match and trade him for two top 10 picks
No one will trade 2 top 10 picks for him

They would want him as a free agent for nothing

So teams will offer overs eg 1.3mil

If you match it then you are stuck with that amount in your salary cap as teams walk away if you don’t accept a singular first rounder

And again whatever you do get will be sucked up by a Levi bid anyway

I really hope the deal wasn't too high for us, because McCluggage demonstrated again today that he's a good player, but not a million dollar a season player.

I think he's 1 mill/year on the current, very high salary cap. Going to be a lot more players paid a mill with the cap much higher than previously.
In my view, yes, if there's a possibility of trading with North or West Coast to get above a bid for Levi Ashcroft. But other Lions fans may disagree.

Think this is super risky. We won't know that we can actually do a trade at that stage with the free agency period way ahead of the draft. Decent chance we are stuck with two picks that we can't really use.

The second top 10 pick (say we end up with pick 9 and 10) gets partially eaten up if the bid is at pick 2, and ends up as a pick in the 20s - pretty useless as that's in the range that we might be matching a bid on Sam marshall. And that pick likely to get knocked back even further with other father son/academy players.

Our best bet would be trading that pick for a future first probably, or trading for a player but don't see anyone worth it on the market right now.

Too much risk in my view of us being left stuck with picks we really don't want as we can't guarantee that any team will be willing to move back.

I think he's 1 mill/year on the current, very high salary cap. Going to be a lot more players paid a mill with the cap much higher than previously.

Think this is super risky. We won't know that we can actually do a trade at that stage with the free agency period way ahead of the draft. Decent chance we are stuck with two picks that we can't really use.

The second top 10 pick (say we end up with pick 9 and 10) gets partially eaten up if the bid is at pick 2, and ends up as a pick in the 20s - pretty useless as that's in the range that we might be matching a bid on Sam marshall. Too much risk in my view of us being left stuck as we can't guarantee that any team will be willing to move back.
could trade the pick into next year but that has its own problems

really i think the idea is pretty dumb when you consider that a top 5 pick would net on average a player worse than mccluggage. if he wants to stay at market rate pay the boy.

The second top 10 pick (say we end up with pick 9 and 10) gets partially eaten up if the bid is at pick 2, and ends up as a pick in the 20s - pretty useless as that's in the range that we might be matching a bid on Sam marshall. And that pick likely to get knocked back even further with other father son/academy players.

Our best bet would be trading that pick for a future first probably, or trading for a player but don't see anyone worth it on the market right now.

Too much risk in my view of us being left stuck with picks we really don't want as we can't guarantee that any team will be willing to move back.
I mostly agree, I'd only fail to match if I could get a commitment from a team picking in the top 2 to make the deal to trade up the order. But let's not be under any illusions, McCluggage is a good player at most, not a superstar, and paying him like a superstar isn't going to be value for money.

could trade the pick into next year but that has its own problems

really i think the idea is pretty dumb when you consider that a top 5 pick would net on average a player worse than mccluggage. if he wants to stay at market rate pay the boy.

Depends on what the $$$ is. I’m sorry but Mcluggage isn’t a damaging player like other million dollar midfielders like Gulden.

I’ve heard numbers like 1.3m being tossed around, and there’s no way Lions should be using that kind of cash on Mcluggage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends on what the $$$ is. I’m sorry but Mcluggage isn’t a damaging player like other million dollar midfielders like Gulden.

I’ve heard numbers like 1.3m being tossed around, and there’s no way Lions should be using that kind of cash on Mcluggage.
Don't tell the Lions how they should and shouldn't spend the salary cap McClugage is an elite outside midfielder the guy will be the captain of our club we'll use the salary cap how we want lol also have you even watched Gulden this year

in 2023 with the caveat that mccluggage played an additional game to gulden:

Mccluggage had more goal involvements (goals + goal asissts) (43 v 37)
Mccluggage had essentially equal score involvements as gulden (153 v150)
Mccluggage had less clangers (81 v 109) and greater disposal efficiency (69.4 v 65.2) whilst having a better contested: uncontested possession ratio than gulden

curious as to how you have come to the conclusion mccluggage isnt a damaging player but gulden is?

in 2023 with the caveat that mccluggage played an additional game to gulden:

Mccluggage had more goal involvements (goals + goal asissts) (43 v 37)
Mccluggage had essentially equal score involvements as gulden (153 v150)
Mccluggage had less clangers (81 v 109) and greater disposal efficiency (69.4 v 65.2) whilst having a better contested: uncontested possession ratio than gulden

curious as to how you have come to the conclusion mccluggage isnt a damaging player but gulden is?
He's a damaging player but still goes missing in periods of the game. I feel he also doesn't do enough defensive running. Gulden is going to jump him another year. Look at both their last games. There's a clear picture Gulden does more off the ball and works harder into positions than McCluggage does.

He's a damaging player but still goes missing in periods of the game. I feel he also doesn't do enough defensive running. Gulden is going to jump him another year. Look at both their last games. There's a clear picture Gulden does more off the ball and works harder into positions than McCluggage does.
he is pretty poor defensively. is a front runner and loves to cheat forward at stoppages which often leaves him way out of position if brisbane dont win the ball. that is a fair criticism

the idea that he isnt damaging or is an average ball user though that has been posted by others is just incorrect.

The idea that he goes missing under pressure is crazy - look at his Grand Final and in particular the goal he set up with 2 mins to go or whatever it was.

I think he's better on a wing than inside, too.

Once I heard that St Kilda had the top offer from the VFL clubs at around 1.3m a year I breathed a sigh of relied and knew he would remain a Lion.

$1m a year with the CBA increase is a good outcome for a player of Hugh's caliber.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back