I dont think Carey is in the top 100 players to play the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Carey in today's game would be unstoppable.

What position do you think he would play? Ruck Rover?

I reckon the closest comparison playing today would be Fyfe, when he was right at the top of his game.

What position do you think he would play? Ruck Rover?

I reckon the closest comparison playing today would be Fyfe, when he was right at the top of his game.

High half forward, with stints through the middle.

I find the school yard test is always a good measure. Line em all up against the fence and pick. For mine I reckon duck would be in my first 100 picked. But having said that I would take Gary Jr every day of the week and twice on Sunday vs Gary Snr. And lets be honest making the 100 greatest of all time is hard. (or is it S Goodwin?)

Just a plodder. Basically couldn't take an overhead mark for the second half of his career. Still battled on.

• 2× AFL Premiership: 1996, 1999
  • 2× Leigh Matthews Trophy: 1995, 1998
  • 7× All-Australian Team: 1993–1996, 1998,1999–2000
  • 4× All-Australian Team Captain: 1993, 1998, 1999–2000
  • 4× North Melbourne Best & Fairest: 1992–1993, 1996, 1998
  • 5× North Melbourne leading goal kicker: 1995–1996, 1998–2000
  • North Melbourne Captain: 1993–2001
  • Australian Football Hall of Fame
  • North Melbourne Team of the Century: (Centre Half Forward)
  • North Melbourne Hall of Fame
  • North Melbourne Team of the Century Captain
  • Michael Tuck Medal: 1998
  • 3x AFL Pre-Season Premiership: 1995, 1998
  • VFL: U-19 Premiership: 1988
  • Captain of New South Wales/ACT: 1993
  • Vice Captain of Southern NSW/ACT Team of the Century
  • Captain of Australia: 1998

Led Adelaide's goal kicking once too.

Just a plodder. Basically couldn't take an overhead mark for the second half of his career. Still battled on.

• 2× AFL Premiership: 1996, 1999
  • 2× Leigh Matthews Trophy: 1995, 1998
  • 7× All-Australian Team: 1993–1996, 1998,1999–2000
  • 4× All-Australian Team Captain: 1993, 1998, 1999–2000
  • 4× North Melbourne Best & Fairest: 1992–1993, 1996, 1998
  • 5× North Melbourne leading goal kicker: 1995–1996, 1998–2000
  • North Melbourne Captain: 1993–2001
  • Australian Football Hall of Fame
  • North Melbourne Team of the Century: (Centre Half Forward)
  • North Melbourne Hall of Fame
  • North Melbourne Team of the Century Captain
  • Michael Tuck Medal: 1998
  • 3x AFL Pre-Season Premiership: 1995, 1998
  • VFL: U-19 Premiership: 1988
  • Captain of New South Wales/ACT: 1993
  • Vice Captain of Southern NSW/ACT Team of the Century
  • Captain of Australia: 1998

So he was only North Melbourne's leading goal kicker 4 times?

Buddy has been his clubs leading goal kicker 10 times.

I find the school yard test is always a good measure. Line em all up against the fence and pick. For mine I reckon duck would be in my first 100 picked. But having said that I would take Gary Jr every day of the week and twice on Sunday vs Gary Snr. And lets be honest making the 100 greatest of all time is hard. (or is it S Goodwin?)
How kind of you.

Michael Jordon in your top 100 also?

Who was norths FF at the time? Im sure you have heard of him

Bit of a different time. Back then it was unusual for a CHF to be the deepest player on the field. There was usually a few targets closer to goal... as in, within 20 metres! Matter of fact, that there was a CHF in the first shows how different it was. These days they all come under the 'KFP' umbrella.

You never saw him so you wouldn't have a clue.

He was beyond mathematical interpretation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, and no one is claiming Longmire is one of the greatest players of all time.
And why should they. But its a pretty irrelevant stat given the team setup at the time. And the roll they both played for the team. Horse was solid. Very solid. But it allowed duck to play his role in the right position.

I remember watching games where he had minimal impact on the score but still thought they had no chance without him.

Sometimes a team makes a player good. Every now and then you get a player who is just bettter than the rest so to speak. For mine carey was definitely one of those players

I am just going by stats, that is true, but his stats just don't look that impressive to me considering he was in the era of Lockett, Dunstall, Lloyd, even Rocca, an era where kicking large bags of goals was common place.

I'm not sure you understand the difference between a bloke becoming captain at 21 in the hardest position on the ground versus umpire protected show ponies?

I am just going by stats.....

Which makes your opinions on the matter pretty much worthless. I can handle constructive criticism, but criticism from a position of admitted ignorance, just serves to dumb down the level of discourse.

Centre Half Forwards don't even really exist any more, so you would be clueless as to the position and the role it entailed.

You would be better served by finding a thread that deals with Adam Goodes & Booing. I'm sure your opinions would be important there.

Which makes your opinions on the matter pretty much worthless. I can handle constructive criticism, but criticism from a position of admitted ignorance, just serves to dumb down the level of discourse.

Centre Half Forwards don't even really exist any more, so you would be clueless as to the position and the role it entailed.

You would be better served by finding a thread that deals with Adam Goodes & Booing. I'm sure your opinions would be important there.

I am not entirely sure what Goodes has to do with this. I always find that people that bring up (out of the blue) the racist booing of Goodes tend to be the ones who were completely okay with the racism, and given you seem to be a fan of Carey it does not surprise me you are not quite at 2017 from a social standpoint.

I saw this topic name out of the corner of my eye on the front page and had to get involved.

I don't usually like to be negative towards ANY topics, I mean after all anyone's opinion (espescially if supported by facts / statistics) is as valid as anyone else,.

BUT,

This is the stupidest, and most wrong thing I've ever read in my entire life.

If you want to argue Carey isn't the greatest ever, fair enough,... if you want to argue he isn't in the top 10,.. fair enough (I disagree, but fair enough) but to say not in the top 100.... Sorry, but that's just wrong,.. and plain ridiculous.

Carey was absolutely unbelievable as a player. North melbourne built their entire game plan around him and then flaunted that's what they were doing, opening themselves up to other teams trying to double team, tag, negate Carey out of matches,.... and he still absolutely dominated.

Not only did he Captain two premierships, but during his time at the Kangaroos during the Pagan/Carey era they also played in another Grand final and 8 straight final series of which I think only once didn't lead to a Prelim (at worst).

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG,..

THIS POST,. IS JUST WRONG.

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont think Carey is in the top 100 players to play the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back