I dont think Carey is in the top 100 players to play the game

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't care about stats. One thing Carey did do was win a game in the last quarter when it had to be won. North would be down by 3 goals on a Friday night game and his teammates, the opposition and the crowd knew he was the man for the moment. And he wouls usually deliver.

Despite double or triple teaming him at these times he would somehow influence the outcome of the game. The entire North game plan and the entire opposition strategy was centred around Carey.

I think Selwood has the same aura about him... is unbelievable when his team most needs him.

Kernahan's combined Glenelg-Carlton record is astonishing.

More games at AFL level than Carey (almost 400 more when combined with Glenelg)
More games as an AFL Captain than Carey (may never be topped)
Equal on premierships, more when including Glenelg (5 including Glenelg)
Equal on premiership as a captain
More goals per game
More goals per game in finals
And Kernahan averaged more than 4 goals per game in State of Origin - more than Lockett!

Is there another key forward in the history of the game whose goals per game average went up in finals and State of Origin?

Yes, Carey played along with Horse, but Carlton had a game plan that involved our mids getting more involved in goal-scoring than North.

Not interested in nicknames, and even AA gongs are highly political (though Sticks has five including his SA days).

He stands, at the very least, alongside Carey.

Last edited:
I rate him top three of what I have seen, and he'd actually probably be one. The one on one battles with Jakovich was always a personally highlight for me.

If you don't rate him as the best or close to it then I doubt you've seen the Duck in full flight.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1993/031219930521.html

An absolute demolition of Silvagni that night.

Also got the better of him in the 1999 GF playing up the ground and in some telling marking contests, but SOS had more than his share of wins vs Carey too.

Yup. Was at that game. Carey was just phenomenal. Destroyed SOS. The only time he really ever beat him.

Didn’t get the better of SOS in 99’ though. SOS held him almost kickless in the first half and most of the time Carey was up the ground, SOS was actually manning Brett Allison in defence.

I know I missed most of his career but from a stats point of view Wayne Carey wasn't that impressive, not compared to other players of his era anyway and I don't get why he is held in such high regard.

Because you never saw him play. " I missed most of his career " you stated.

I been watching footy since the mid 60's. Seen all the greats since then.
There are 3 no. 1's. Ablett, Matthews, Carey.
Can't split them.

I find the school yard test is always a good measure. Line em all up against the fence and pick. For mine I reckon duck would be in my first 100 picked. But having said that I would take Gary Jr every day of the week and twice on Sunday vs Gary Snr. And lets be honest making the 100 greatest of all time is hard. (or is it S Goodwin?)

If you are in the school yard you pick Senior. Better in The air. We are playing kick to kick right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kernahan's combined Glenelg-Carlton record is astonishing.

More games at AFL level than Carey (almost 400 more when combined with Glenelg)
More games as an AFL Captain than Carey (may never be topped)
Equal on premierships, more when including Glenelg (5 including Glenelg)
Equal on premiership as a captain
More goals per game
More goals per game in finals
And Kernahan averaged more than 4 goals per game in State of Origin - more than Lockett!

Is there another key forward in the history of the game whose goals per game average went up in finals and State of Origin?

Yes, Carey played along with Horse, but Carlton had a game plan that involved our mids getting more involved in goal-scoring than North.

Not interested in nicknames, and even AA gongs are highly political (though Sticks has five including his SA days).

He stands, at the very least, alongside Carey.
Umm,,,,w,,,,what?

Try again. I'll isolate the question for you: Is there another key forward in the history of the game whose goals per game average went up in finals and State of Origin?
Don't know, don't care, but he did play for SA did he not? Wasn't like he had to share entries with Lockett and Ablett now is it?

In fairness, the WWE have patented moves they copied from Sos, the full nelson, the body slam, the suplex etc etc.
Love it. Had an Essendon supporting mate who didn't believe me on SOS's scragging tactics - after one particular game between Carlton and Essendon he started agreeing with me.

There may have been an occasion or two to give you this anecdotal feeling, but overall, not a great decision:

Carey average in finals: 18 disposals, 7 marks, 2.6 goals, 2 behinds, 1.2 tackles.
Brereton average in finals: 13 disposals, 5 marks, 2.0 goals, 1.5 behinds, 0.7 tackles.

For the record, Carey had some pretty handy finals that seem to have been ignored/forgotten in this thread (noting that stats certainly don't capture his entire influence):

1994 QF v Hawks - 32 disposals, 10 marks, 4.4
1994 PF v Geelong - 24 disposals, 14 marks, 6.4
1995 QF v Richmond - 22 disposals, 9 marks, 5.4
1996 QF v Geelong - 23 disposals, 10 marks, 3.2
1996 PF v Brisbane - 24 disposals, 14 marks, 3.2
1996 GF v Sydney - 22 disposals, 9 marks, 1.3
1997 QF v Geelong - 23 disposals, 10 marks, 7.0
1997 PF v West Coast - 16 disposals, 5 marks, 2.0
1998 QF v Essendon - 24 disposals, 8 marks, 5.6
1999 QF v Port Adelaide - 24 disposals, 11 marks, 6.2
1999 PF v Brisbane - 17 disposals, 6 marks, 3.0
1999 GF v Carlton - 17 disposals, 5 marks, 2.0

Carey's better than Derm. That's not an argument. Probably even in finals.

But! I know where the argument about Brereton over Carey in finals comes from.

1982 1st semi: Derm's first game. Kicks 5. Aged 18.

1985 GF: 8 goals in a side that lost by 78 points.

1987 QF v Sydney: Kicks 6, all when it mattered.

1988 GF: Dunstall and Abbott kicked 7 and 6 each. Most when the game was dead. Derm kicked 5. And his start, where he made to run in the centre square and steamroll a Melbourne player and stopped dead and sucked Melbourne in set the tone. Total fear. You don't have a stat for that. Then kicks a banana early in the second to break the game open.

Look at the 1989 2nd Semi v Essendon. From memory, Derm had 5 kicks. But his (at the time legitimate) shirtfront of Van Der Haar, followed by his tackle on Daisy Williams a few minutes later, turned the game. Essendon more or less shat themselves. There are no stats for "made a team shit themselves".

Two weeks later - GF. Yeates bumps and then kicks him in the guts as part of the follow up. A few minutes later he marks and goals. The effect on Geelong was enormous - we rolled them from then on until the last quarter.

1991. QF at Subi. Derm goes down with a knee injury. Doesn't return until the GF. Game in the balance at the start of the last. Who kicks the first two of the quarter to break WCE? Derm.

Not saying Derm was better in finals, just that his influence can't be measured in stats all the time. Pure fear from the opposition regarding his physicality allowed Dunstall, Hall, Buckenara, Hudson, Curran, Abbott et al. walk a bit taller and play their natural games. Carey did to a point, but not to that extent - he had tp drag his team over a lot of the time. Derm facilitated the win a lot of the time, Carey was the winner. The two best finals CHFs of the last 40 years.

Last edited:
Carey definitely overrated.

He should not be in the same conversation as Matthews, who is the clear cut greatest.

Carey benefits from two major things.

1. He is in the media currently.
2. People in decision making/powerful positions in the present media & AFL saw him play or played against or with him.

A lot of the ranking stuff is about timing. Sure Carey was very good. But there have been plenty of good players.
Was he better than Quinlan, Wade or Kernahan? Possibly not.

1. lol
2. lol
3. lol

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont think Carey is in the top 100 players to play the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back