I feel sorry for Grant Thomas ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Lukazzz777

All Australian
Jan 25, 2006
Templestowe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I know that I will get bagged for this but I genuinely feel sorry for Grant Thomas. I have been a fan of his whilst the whole Australian footy community has relentlessly criticised him

I think he did a wonderful job with the Saints, recruiting Reiwoldt, Kozi, Powell, Hamill, Dal Santo, Ball, Hayes, Fisher, Gram, Clarke etc.

And a lot of those picks, trades etc were not givens.

He also managed to reinvigorate the older blokes, Peckett, Harvey, Thompson and especially his work with Big Fraser.

Totally rebuilt the side, unlucky in two preliminary finals, cruelled by injury.

Fantastic coach, just one of those beat up guys that the media and everybody in the AFL seemed to love to hate.

Saints loss today in my opinion, a big loss, and next year you guys will not make the eight unless you recruit a very, very good coach.

Butters is a disgrace by the way. The way he handled it was disgusting.

Was no worse than the way he handled the Blight afair mate. Seems to be creating his own little history down there huh!

I agree with you...They backdoored him, in the lowest form possible.

You could see it on he's face, the guy was crushed...I'm sure he's going to get used in a clubs higher positions though, Butters could use a guy like that to open the eyes of the board to what coachings about.

YEah i think he might be back in a couple of years. He did a good job, like many coaches before him, but i do think that maybe there are better out there.

Yeah I also feel sorry for him. Especially considering the horrid run of injuries over the last two years he's had to deal with, I thought he'd done a pretty good job.

They may get a better coach, but with their loyalty track record, could it also backfire against them? Didn't Stan Alves also make the Grand Final in 97, and then get sacked during the next year? And then there's Blight and Watson who didn't last very long either.

I'm curious to see what the disagreement in the future direction of St Kilda was referring to, and whether or not the options for a new coach will also disagree with it.

Never been a great fan of Thomas as a tactician but his man management skills are obvious. I said this a while back that I thought St Kilda were in a perfect position to re define the job of a head coach. Wont happen now.

Watching the press conference I did feel for Thomas and thought he showed great character in the way he held himself. Also glad he didnt tow the club line and told it how it is.

Wow.

What a bunch of scum that board are.They have the Presidents mate conduct a 6 month long review of all things football.This bloke hires Slade to conduct interviews alreayd for a coach.Then they sack this one.What if they had of won on Friday night.

What a pathetic lot they are.They never informed the players, they hear it in the media 1st.A good quality club.

Did anyone here that Starcs was sacked yesterday as well, I think that wa son WLF.

Pity the poor new coach.They will never stand a chance.

campbell said:
Wow.

What a bunch of scum that board are.They have the Presidents mate conduct a 6 month long review of all things football.This bloke hires Slade to conduct interviews alreayd for a coach.Then they sack this one.What if they had of won on Friday night.

What a pathetic lot they are.They never informed the players, they hear it in the media 1st.A good quality club.

Did anyone here that Starcs was sacked yesterday as well, I think that wa son WLF.

Pity the poor new coach.They will never stand a chance.

Hey you gutless ********, why don't you get some balls and tell us what team you barrack for... then maybe we can discuss the quality of your club....

My two cents - I feel very sorry for Thommo. He got this club to where it is now - thanks to him, we're financially sound, we have a strong supporter base and we have rebuilt and redeveloped to make us a a proud club. I am very grateful for what Grant has done for us, and I trust the board won't rest until we find the perfect coach....

And to some of you, you're so damn fickle... you argue incessantly that we have the best list and any other coach would have us a flag or three by now, but now we lose our coach in these circumstances and its all downhill for the St.KFC.... well, which is it?!?!?!??!??!

Good luck in the future Grant, with whatever you choose to pursue.

campbell said:
You can have a shot at my club if you like. We are stable through and through.We have won back to back to back premierships,which is something St Kilda can only dream of.

dammit.... was hoping you were a collingwood supporter.... fair enough, attack away.... sounds like you're either brisbane or adelaide..... can't really say anything about either of them.

campbell said:
You can have a shot at my club if you like. We are stable through and through.We have won back to back to back premierships,which is something St Kilda can only dream of.

Although there is a fair bit of horse manure around at the moment, the gun sprinter has bolted and a couple of out-and-out champion stayers are in danger of being put down :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hes Brisbane. Cant remember Adel winning 3 in a row.

I feel sorry for GT, as i never disliked him as a person, just saw him as way out of his league as a senoir coach. Tactically a minibus. So as sad as it is for him, and his 8 kids, great news for Aints. Time to get a ruckman and be a real force!

Lukazzz777 said:
I know that I will get bagged for this but I genuinely feel sorry for Grant Thomas. I have been a fan of his whilst the whole Australian footy community has relentlessly criticised him

I think he did a wonderful job with the Saints, recruiting Reiwoldt, Kozi, Powell, Hamill, Dal Santo, Ball, Hayes, Fisher, Gram, Clarke etc.

He also managed to reinvigorate the older blokes, Peckett, Harvey, Thompson and especially his work with Big Fraser.

Totally rebuilt the side, unlucky in two preliminary finals, cruelled by injury.

Fantastic coach, just one of those beat up guys that the media and everybody in the AFL seemed to love to hate.

Saints loss today in my opinion, a big loss, and next year you guys will not make the eight unless you recruit a very, very good coach.

he dared to be different and it didnt come off. takes alot of guts.
class act in the press conference.

It's amazing how many armchair experts are out there. It's actually embarrassing to read some of the crap that is being written.

Noone who has ever coached at VFL/AFL level ends up their by fluke. There are only 16 jobs and to get a gig is bloody hard work. Keeping your job is even harder. Then you have player contracts, recruting, assistant coaches, player management, injuries, draft picks, player strategies, budgets - the list goes on.

Each coach must justify everything to the board. Grant Thomas didn't wander into St. Kilda and become senior coach. He obviously showed something that Rod Butterss liked - friend or not.

IMO the main thing Thomas did wrong was publicly state that ruckmen weren't that important. Every time they were beaten in this area, it was highlighted and Thommo's comments were regurgitated. And when players like Dean Cox, Adam Goodes, Peter Everitt (2005 form), Brendon Lade and Jeff White are racking up possetions whilst setting up teammates with their hitouts, it tends to make your comments look a bit stupid.

That said, he had a shocking run with injuries. Hamill's knee, Maguires leg, Hayes knee, Frasers ankle none of which were his fault. He's never had a stable set of assistant coaches (maybe his fault, maybe not). And due to his relationship with Butters and his lack of coaching before his senior appointment, he was always under the spotlight.

These ****ers writing that Blight would have won a flag or St.Kilda should do this or get him have no idea. They are faceless morons who can never be held accountable for their actions. It's easy to hang **** when no one knows who you are.

Anyway, good luck to Grant and who ever replaces him. IMO, they need an experienced coach, not a newbie. The club is a finals contender next year and a first year coach won't have finals experience. They need someone who has been there and done it before - Pagan, Thompson, Ayres.

And to the armchair experts - get a life.

Jean Claude Vas Deferens said:
Why Garry Lyon?

Good question. He's untried as an AFL coach, he's not had any experience as an assistant at AFL level. His only experience is with the IR Team, which is a totally different kettle of fish to managing and coaching a team day in day out. He would be a risky proposition at best.

Very easy to sit and criticise in the media whilst earning big bucks, but he has so far showed reluctance to put his arse on the line and back his knowledge and skills. Has everything to lose, including his credibility ala Tim Watson, but nothing really to gain.

I have a suspicion that Lyon would be a good coach, but I also thought the same thing about Watson, Frawley and others too.

As for Grant Thomas, I admire the way he's handled this and I admired the way that he dealt with all the negatives thrown at him constantly. He was not a great match day coach and feel that he was also let down by his support staff. I think Grant Thomas would make a brilliant Football Operations manager for any club looking for innovation. I'd be happy to have him at the Crows, dealing with all the operational/management issues of the football dept. Class act and a quality bloke, just 10% short as an AFL coach. Good luck Grant.:)

One Eyed Sainter 66 said:
dammit.... was hoping you were a collingwood supporter.... fair enough, attack away.... sounds like you're either brisbane or adelaide..... can't really say anything about either of them.

Nah, could just as easily be Melbourne of the 1950's, or the 'Pies of the 1920's. We'll never know, because he doesn't have the stones to name his club.

Pyssant taking potshots from the cheap seats. :thumbsdown:

Lukazzz777 said:

Just a couple of things on this. I am no expert on the Saints and don't profess to be but Steve Lawrence my absolute fave went there and I follwed the Saints quite closely whilst he was there.

1.Thomas did NOT recruit Sammy, he went to the Saints on the basis of being coached by Blight.
2. The Blight sacking was atrociously handled and now so has the Thomas sacking.
3. In summary as members you should be calling for the head of Butters. Use your votes.

Lukazzz777 said:
He didn't recruit Riewoldt, Koschitzke, Hamill or Hayes.

Lady Lawrence said:
3. In summary as members you should be calling for the head of Butters. Use your votes.

The basis of this being that you think GT is a good coach, and can win the Saints the flag ???.

Bet you there are a few Blues fans out there that wished their board had bittne the bullet and got rid of Pagan lasl week.

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel sorry for Grant Thomas ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back