Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maah, **** da 'lympicks. The only decent sports are the ones for whom a gold medal isn't even the peak of that sport. Tennis, golf, soccer, cetchra...
That's why those sports aren't as interesting to watch at the Olympics. Because the Olympics aren't about LeBron or Federer or Messi rocking up and winning another award to throw in the sock drawer and forget about.

The Olympics are about the pure sports competitors who toil away in obscure or underfunded competitions because they love competing. Sure they may get kudos within their circle, but they know the public is all watching when it comes to the Olympics. It's the ultimate test of performance under pressure.

They're about staying up until 2am to see if the Aussie archery team can win an unlikely gold, even if you don't remember them in a month. They're about watching Matthew Mitchem pull off the highest scoring dive in the final to snatch gold, or Sally Pearson running a PB in an Olympic final, or teenager Kyle Chalmers stunning the more fancied competitors in Swimming's blue riband event.

They're about the pure excitement of a cutthroat competiton, forced into a condensed timeframe, in dozens of different events. Knowing the competitors have trained for years and may never get another chance.

They're about the heartbreak and triumph of one centimetre, one point, or one tenth of a second. The ecstasy, controversy and joy of unexpected upsets and unforseen failure. The crowning of a lifetime of work for some, and the forever unfulfilled dreams of others.

They're about learning the rules of an event as you watch, and knowing the whole event is taking place before you. There's no long term commitment to watch, so you can cheer and barrack and commiserate with the rest of the world.

That's the beauty of the Olympics, and why they're the greatest collection of sporting entertainment this side of Zero-G football.

FRO pal.

I think Olympic coverage peaked with the John Clarke entree "The Games" followed up by Roy and HG doing "The Dream". (Sydney Olympics)

Absolute gold!

How can you not hear "hello boys" during the gymnastic routines, or the "battered sav"?
Dont forget Fatso the Fat arse wombat

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

On a sadder note, vale Terry Jones of Monty Python fame.
Now two down, four to go.
I was fortunate enough to catch one of their performances at the O2 Arena in London "One down, five to go"

Used to watch the Flying Circus through high school and the movies in Uni days.
Can still recall seeing The Holy Grail at the Octagon Theatre and absolutely cracking up at both the film and the audience reaction.

On a sadder note, vale Terry Jones of Monty Python fame.
Now two down, four to go.
I was fortunate enough to catch one of their performances at the O2 Arena in London "One down, five to go"

Used to watch the Flying Circus through high school and the movies in Uni days.
Can still recall seeing The Holy Grail at the Octagon Theatre and absolutely cracking up at both the film and the audience reaction.
I fart in your general direction

That's why those sports aren't as interesting to watch at the Olympics. Because the Olympics aren't about LeBron or Federer or Messi rocking up and winning another award to throw in the sock drawer and forget about.

The Olympics are about the pure sports competitors who toil away in obscure or underfunded competitions because they love competing. Sure they may get kudos within their circle, but they know the public is all watching when it comes to the Olympics. It's the ultimate test of performance under pressure.

They're about staying up until 2am to see if the Aussie archery team can win an unlikely gold, even if you don't remember them in a month. They're about watching Matthew Mitchem pull off the highest scoring dive in the final to snatch gold, or Sally Pearson running a PB in an Olympic final, or teenager Kyle Chalmers stunning the more fancied competitors in Swimming's blue riband event.

They're about the pure excitement of a cutthroat competiton, forced into a condensed timeframe, in dozens of different events. Knowing the competitors have trained for years and may never get another chance.

They're about the heartbreak and triumph of one centimetre, one point, or one tenth of a second. The ecstasy, controversy and joy of unexpected upsets and unforseen failure. The crowning of a lifetime of work for some, and the forever unfulfilled dreams of others.

They're about learning the rules of an event as you watch, and knowing the whole event is taking place before you. There's no long term commitment to watch, so you can cheer and barrack and commiserate with the rest of the world.

That's the beauty of the Olympics, and why they're the greatest collection of sporting entertainment this side of Zero-G football.

FRO pal.
The sooner they realise this and get rid of tennis, soccer, basketball, baseball the better. Why the **** do we have skateboarding, they have the X-Games. Then we lose sports like greco roman wrestling. That's all they had. Make the Olympic Games smaller but more OG. No more introducing sports cause they're a thing now. The fact they want to bring t20 cricket in is ridiculous.

FRO pal.

Didn't your English teacher ever tell you not to start subsequent paragraphs with the same word?

Didn't your English teacher ever tell you not to start subsequent paragraphs with the same word?
That was a big problem with how English was taught to me at high school. It was the idea that there was one correct form of writing and no others. It completely ignores the fact that you need to adjust your communication style to your audience.

That was a big problem with how English was taught to me at high school. It was the idea that there was one correct form of writing and no others. It completely ignores the fact that you need to adjust your communication style to your audience.
Not being allowed to start a new sentence with 'And' is one rule that I have dutifully ignored over the years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Writing is just about communication, and trying to make it entertaining or informative. If repeating phrases emphasises the point I want to make then I'll do that. When BigFooty introduces a style guide we're all in trouble.

Not being allowed to start a new sentence with 'And' is one rule that I have dutifully ignored over the years.

It's not even a rule, just something they teach you so you don't write how you talk. Much like starting a sentence with 'but' or excessive use of punctuation.

Language and especially English is fluid. You can pretty much do whatever you want if you can write well. The majority of excellent writers constantly play around with form and convention. Take Cormac McCarthy for example, you'd be hard-pressed to find a semicolon in any of his works.

Which is why grammar narcs are almost always impotent men clawing around for validation or hack English teachers whose dreams have passed them by.

(My general thoughts, not a comment on the virile, budding creatives on our board). ;)

I want to be a grammar influencer when I grow up
Hun get in on the ground floor for my start-up, InstaGrammar.

Language and especially English is fluid. You can pretty much do whatever you want if you can write well. The majority of excellent writers constantly play around with form and convention. Take Cormac McCarthy for example, you'd be hard-pressed to find a semicolon in any of his works.

Not a grammar narc but Cormac McCarthy's style of writing and use of grammar is a choice, not an affliction.

That’s the joke . jaypeg
It's not a joke it's a very serious and lucrative enterprise so you'd better shut up or my dad's mate will sue you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back