Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not even a rule, just something they teach you so you don't write how you talk. Much like starting a sentence with 'but' or excessive use of punctuation.

Language and especially English is fluid. You can pretty much do whatever you want if you can write well. The majority of excellent writers constantly play around with form and convention. Take Cormac McCarthy for example, you'd be hard-pressed to find a semicolon in any of his works.

Which is why grammar narcs are almost always impotent men clawing around for validation or hack English teachers whose dreams have passed them by.

(My general thoughts, not a comment on the virile, budding creatives on our board). ;)
I think this is spot on, but individuality in style is not encouraged in the current WACE system. It's very much 'paint by numbers' and I've seen students get punished for writing and thinking outside of the box.

It's not even a rule, just something they teach you so you don't write how you talk. Much like starting a sentence with 'but' or excessive use of punctuation.

Language and especially English is fluid. You can pretty much do whatever you want if you can write well. The majority of excellent writers constantly play around with form and convention. Take Cormac McCarthy for example, you'd be hard-pressed to find a semicolon in any of his works.

Which is why grammar narcs are almost always impotent men clawing around for validation or hack English teachers whose dreams have passed them by.

(My general thoughts, not a comment on the virile, budding creatives on our board). ;)

When it comes to the English language prescriptivists are the bottom feeders of the linguistics world. English is full of a lot of accidental structures and historical quirks that don’t rise to the level of rules.

As long as your syntax is clear then you can get away with pretty much anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When it comes to the English language prescriptivists are the bottom feeders of the linguistics world. English is full of a lot of accidental structures and historical quirks that don’t rise to the level of rules.

As long as your syntax is clear then you can get away with pretty much anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who f****** asked you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's why those sports aren't as interesting to watch at the Olympics. Because the Olympics aren't about LeBron

The Olympic basketball is about everyone that's not called America. The US team with Iverson, D Wade, Carmelo, LeBron, Duncan etc. lost twice in the group stage in 2004 before losing to Argentina in the semi finals and ending up with bronze. And wasn't it fantastic? Sure they won the next 3 golds, but every 4 years it's 11 other nations lining up to take their best shot at the 'muricans.

The US players might not all take it 100% seriously (they still have a pretty handy squad each time, it's not like the WC where they are picking Brook Lopez and Derrick White) but everyone else does. If we win a bronze in Tokyo it will mean a lot to the players and the country will go mad.

Football (soccer) at the Olympics is a bit of a gag. Even if you do want to take it seriously you are limited to a squad of under 23s plus 3 over aged players. When London hosted the Games "Team GB" (It's ****ing Team UK) had old Craig Bellamy, even older Ryan Giggs and Micah Richards as their 3 over aged players. Their Olympic committee even had an agreement with the FA not to pick any of their Euro 2012 squad from a month earlier. The sport should be dumped from the program ASAP.

Football (soccer) at the Olympics is a bit of a gag. Even if you do want to take it seriously you are limited to a squad of under 23s plus 3 over aged players. When London hosted the Games "Team GB" (It's ******* Team UK) had old Craig Bellamy, even older Ryan Giggs and Micah Richards as their 3 over aged players. Their Olympic committee even had an agreement with the FA not to pick any of their Euro 2012 squad from a month earlier. The sport should be dumped from the program ASAP.
I had to look this one up. Apparently it is a contraction of the full title, the Great Britain and Northern Ireland Olympic Team.

Any sport for which winning a gold medal is not the peak achievement in that sport, shouldn't be there. Tennis, soccer, basketball, etc.

I had to look this one up. Apparently it is a contraction of the full title, the Great Britain and Northern Ireland Olympic Team.

Any sport for which winning a gold medal is not the peak achievement in that sport, shouldn't be there. Tennis, soccer, basketball, etc.

It's a silly name. UK means the UK of GB & NI. 'Team GB' at the last Olympics effectively meant 'the UK of GB and NI and everyone else except Cayman Islands, British Virgin Islands and Bermuda'. I'm not a fan because Great Britain is literally the island split up into England, Scotland and Wales. But in terms of things that keep me awake at night it's down the list a fair way.

I think that is correct, yes.

1992 was the only time a premiership side has consisted entirely of players from WA.
Malcom Blight: One of the strangest incidents as a coach of Geelong was his extroverted decision to stand on a metal box to watch the game against the West Coast Eagles in Perth. His excitement of "seeing the game at ground level", was an attempt to get back to basics and some nostalgia.

I actually tweeted those smug bastards including
Tom Morris
Max Laugton
Jay Clark
Lauren Wood
Jon Ralph
Robbo

One by one
I pointed out to Laughton and Morris that the only GF Review podcast they didn't record was the one where a non-Victorian team won (3 out of the last 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back