If Scully was discovered to have signed with GWS...

Remove this Banner Ad

The Velocity Sports press release was intended to put us all at ease.

Of course they could be playing funny buggers and he's as good as gone. But I'm going to play the optimistic card. After all, nobody really knows (and that includes Eddie, Damien Barrett, Hutchy and any other D-grade journo) if Scully's going except a very small minority that includes Scully himself, management, GWS head honchos and maybe Scully's family. ;)

My mate explained it to me like this:

'Imagine you own a restaurant, and you have a really good apprentice chef. I mean he cooks the best damn fillet mignon you've ever tasted. If he comes to you and says 'look, I've got a great offer to go to a restaurant in Sydney, but it doesn't open til next year. I'm going to take the job, but just letting you know now.'

You don't fire the apprentice chef, cause he's a really good cook and he brings in plenty of business etc.

So I think I'd still play Sculls. He has the potential to win games for us. But obviously it would be ideal if he doesn't go in the first place.

Not sure if serious?

I think a good chef is more easily replaceable than a top-grade superstar-caliber player. I mean, it's a really, really dumb analogy.

Scully wouldn't be leaving for a better opportunity. And he wouldn't be leaving to go to a better club. He'd be leaving to earn more. In that analogy, the chef is leaving to go to a better restaurant. GWS is not a better club than Melbourne. If he left, he would highlight such intense irregularities in the concession process the AFL implemented. And you know what? The AFL knew this would happen to one club. It knew it, and it wants it.

Scully is gone, but he isn't gone because we didn't put up a fight. The club ultimately can't compete with what GWS is offering. The same way I know even the Pies can't compete to keep Swan. It's a very sad progression of events, and I think the AFL sees the backlash from such an instance as an acceptable consequence in the face of an established and profitable team in a promising area.

Your mate's an idiot.

From Demonland

Tom Scully Statement

9 February 2011

In response to extensive recent media speculation Velocity Sports today issued the following statement in relation to Melbourne AFL player Tom Scully.

Contrary to media speculation, Tom Scully has not signed an AFL contract with Greater Western Sydney.

He is contracted to Melbourne for the 2011 AFL season, and Velocity Sports advised Melbourne in writing in August 2010 of the company's decision to put off all contract talks until the end of the 2011 season.

Mark Kleiman, Scully's Melbourne-based manager, today said Scully continued to enjoy an excellent relationship with the club, and remained committed to building his future with the Demons in a most exciting time for the club. He also confirmed that Velocity Sports had not had talks with GWS in relation to Scully.

But Kleiman said Velocity Sports would be negligent if it did not fully assess the football landscape before addressing the Scully contract situation.

"It's a rapidly changing time for the AFL, with a new Collective Bargaining Agreement and a new AFL broadcast rights deal to be negotiated this year, and it is our responsibility to see these through before we address Tom's contract," he said.

"So, to ensure there are no distractions and that Tom can direct all his energies to the 2011 season, we recommended to him last August that we put contract talks on hold until the end of this season and advised the club accordingly.

"We understand there will be speculation because Tom is such an outstanding young prospect but just as Matthew Pavlich and Jack Watts did last year, among untold others, we feel it is in Tom's best interests to put the whole thing off until the end of the season.

"We've made these comments today to ease any concerns of Melbourne supporters and reassure them that Tom is fully committed to the club. But in the interests of allowing him just to play football we've agreed with the Melbourne administration that we will not address this issue publicly again this season."

Hope that clarifies the situation at least until the end of the season.

To say they have put contract negotiations on hold until the end of the season to ensure no distractions to Tom is absolute bullshit! If anything, it has increased distraction tenfold! This whole statement stinks of lies. The more i read and hear about this, the more i feel it's a done deal.

The fact is, he's either signed to the GWS, or he's holding our club to ransom for more cash. All the while putting us supporters through hell.

To be honest, i feel like I've been kicked in the guts, and to think i have to carry this feeling all season long until they announce he's leaving, is hard to bare.

I just couldn't imagine we would give this kid the honour as #1 draft pick, and hand him our clubs most famous players number to wear with pride on the field, the he would throw it all back in our faces by signing with that clown Sheedy! If it does turn out to be true, which is looking more likely than not, then **** you Scully, and **** you AFL for letting something like this happen. How can a player drafted at #1, get stolen from a club in just over a year into his career. This is just bullshit....

'Imagine you own a restaurant, and you have a really good apprentice chef. I mean he cooks the best damn fillet mignon you've ever tasted. If he comes to you and says 'look, I've got a great offer to go to a restaurant in Sydney, but it doesn't open til next year. I'm going to take the job, but just letting you know now.'

You don't fire the apprentice chef, cause he's a really good cook and he brings in plenty of business etc.

So I think I'd still play Sculls. He has the potential to win games for us. But obviously it would be ideal if he doesn't go in the first place.

I think scully is putting a lot of people off, which is not good for business and membership. Personally, when he gets the ball and kicks a goal watt do you do, get excited cause we kicked a goal or get pissed off cause you know or think he is going? Seeing him high five his team mates will seem very fabricated to me if there is no announcement soon. And for him to use the club knowing he is going is quite selfish. If he is to leave he needs the decency to tell the club. Id rather see melbourne play this year without him knowing he doesnt want to be here, developing another player and other team structures, rather than a player who is using us for further development and more games and stats. At least then we know there are players fully committed to the future. *Comparing football and business like a lot of people do is not the same thing. I'm already over this year which I'm not happy about cause I've been pumped since rd22 last year.
**I think he's just not interested in playing here.

Nobody can sign an agreement while another contract is in place, they can agree to a deal in principal, which is what everyone who crossed over to the GC did.

The talks on hold is what is problematic. Everyone who was rumoured to go to GC who wanted to wait until the end of the year before "evaluating their options" crossed over.

There would be hope if he/his manager would be prepared to open contract negotiations, if they wont then they likely already have an agreement in principal.

I agree with points 1 and 2 but 3 is very early.

why dont you worry about playing interstate, or folding.:thumbsu:

Don't be a dick, Jack. he's not being impolite

From Demonland

Tom Scully Statement

9 February 2011

In response to extensive recent media speculation Velocity Sports today issued the following statement in relation to Melbourne AFL player Tom Scully.

Contrary to media speculation, Tom Scully has not signed an AFL contract with Greater Western Sydney.

He is contracted to Melbourne for the 2011 AFL season, and Velocity Sports advised Melbourne in writing in August 2010 of the company's decision to put off all contract talks until the end of the 2011 season.

Mark Kleiman, Scully's Melbourne-based manager, today said Scully continued to enjoy an excellent relationship with the club, and remained committed to building his future with the Demons in a most exciting time for the club. He also confirmed that Velocity Sports had not had talks with GWS in relation to Scully.

But Kleiman said Velocity Sports would be negligent if it did not fully assess the football landscape before addressing the Scully contract situation.

"It's a rapidly changing time for the AFL, with a new Collective Bargaining Agreement and a new AFL broadcast rights deal to be negotiated this year, and it is our responsibility to see these through before we address Tom's contract," he said.

"So, to ensure there are no distractions and that Tom can direct all his energies to the 2011 season, we recommended to him last August that we put contract talks on hold until the end of this season and advised the club accordingly.

"We understand there will be speculation because Tom is such an outstanding young prospect but just as Matthew Pavlich and Jack Watts did last year, among untold others, we feel it is in Tom's best interests to put the whole thing off until the end of the season.

"We've made these comments today to ease any concerns of Melbourne supporters and reassure them that Tom is fully committed to the club. But in the interests of allowing him just to play football we've agreed with the Melbourne administration that we will not address this issue publicly again this season."

**** this

I think scully is putting a lot of people off, which is not good for business and membership. Personally, when he gets the ball and kicks a goal watt do you do, get excited cause we kicked a goal or get pissed off cause you know or think he is going? Seeing him high five his team mates will seem very fabricated to me if there is no announcement soon. And for him to use the club knowing he is going is quite selfish. If he is to leave he needs the decency to tell the club. Id rather see melbourne play this year without him knowing he doesnt want to be here, developing another player and other team structures, rather than a player who is using us for further development and more games and stats. At least then we know there are players fully committed to the future. *Comparing football and business like a lot of people do is not the same thing. I'm already over this year which I'm not happy about cause I've been pumped since rd22 last year.
**I think he's just not interested in playing here.

This! Everytime he goes near the pill this year, it's another kick in the guts at what we will be missing in the future! We as supporters and his team mates deserve the right to know if he is committed to this club's future. If not, then get out. Put some time into Gysberts, Blease, Tapscott and Maric instead. We don't need disloyal ,money grubbing scumbags playing in our great jumper....

I haven't read through the whole thread, will go back and do it in a sec but I had to vent.

This ****ing sucks, it really really ****in sucks. It has ruined my day, left a sour taste in my mouth and seriously dampened my optimism for the coming season, which was literally bubbling over until now.

I really feel sorry for Scully here too, he is going to read and hear a lot of stuff that will make him feel terrible, and if it is all rumours that that stuff will have an undue adverse affect on his season.

On the other hand, and this is the type of "stuff" I was referring to above, if he does leave I will hate him unwaveringly forever and will mercilessly and relentlessly give it to him every opportunity I get. It will also seriously shake my interest and faith in footy and will put a huge dent in our improvement over the coming years.

We will not get better compensation than GFC got, I cannot remember the specifics, but more weight is given in the compensation formula to age and proven performance, than to draft "value". We will get a first round pick, but it would most likely be around pick 20. Effectively we would be being robbed, blatantly robbed.

I will be so dissapointed if he goes, I seriously cannot say it strongly enough. If it were to be confirmed I would be in the school of thought of not giving him any game time whatsoever, even at Casey. Just don't let him play at all.

That's all, for now... I ****in hate this.

I don't care what his management says, if he hasn't re-signed by May-June he will be seen as the Giant's number 1 recruit whether its true or not.

I am leaning towards the opinion that he is gone and has made a verbal agreement.

The statement is meaningless, if he was committed to MFC negotiations would be happening right now to work on an extension. I'm sure that MFC will pay as much as they can afford to try and retain him, and I very much doubt they will magically find some more cash at the end of the season.

True. I agree because Jimmy (MFC Headquarters) just cleared the debts and starting to make some profits.

I am thinking if MFC members will consider quitting coffees, beers or even cigarettes to donate the club for Scully? For example, the Davey case in few years by giving up few coffees?

I am interested to hear what MFC supporters think about this? :rolleyes:

Having read the thread and read a little around the traps, I'm still feeling sick. And I really don't know what to think about whether or not he will go, I mean I can't fathom any club/organisation offering a first year player a million a year!

The highest figure my brain can even begin to concieve of would be about $5 million over 6 years, but it would be irresponsible from GWS' own perspective to sign any player to a 6 year deal. But just say it's $5mil/6years, that's roughly $850k per year. Going on the assumption that he'll be the Dees highest paid player within 5 years, surely we wouldn't be too far off that?? Surely with Melbourne he could earn $550-$600k over the next 5 years broken down something like:

2012: $300k
2013: $400k (and a premiership?!?!?!)
2014: $500k (and a premiership?!?!?!)
2015: $700k (and a premiership?!?!?!)
2016: $900k (and a premiership?!?!?!)

I know it's a fair way off with the money, but we're not talkin 2x or anything silly, and surely it's competitive enough given all of the other things that should be keeping Scully here: family, Dees culture, team bonds, mates, potential flags ("dynasty") within five years, Barassi's number, WS being a hole etc etc etc...

Am I deluding myself here?

I would play him in every game and put him in the middle and tell the other players to give it to him at every opportunity. Let him rack up 40 uncontested possessions a game. Umpires would give him 3 votes every game and he would win the best and fairest. Then when it comes to compensation time we would be claim he was worth 2 beginning of first round picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wind the clock back 7 days and Dean Bailey has just said this:

MELBOURNE coach Dean Bailey said he was certain midfielder Tom Scully's future was at the club, despite interest from Greater Western Sydney.

Bailey said yesterday Scully was determined to be part of something special along with the club's core of talented young midfielders.

"Tom Scully's character and professionalism are outstanding. He is a rare breed and we have got a few like him.

"They want to be successful. They know there is a nucleus of the team here and they want to be a big part of it. They don't want to be just a bit part of it.

Everyone was happy as Larry.

Now 7 days and one Eddie Maguire claim/rumour on a rock radio station later and everyone loses their shit....:confused:

Proves he's still best in the business!* Hutchey will be spewing he couldnt cause furor like this!

*bullshit entertainment business that is

Having read the thread and read a little around the traps, I'm still feeling sick. And I really don't know what to think about whether or not he will go, I mean I can't fathom any club/organisation offering a first year player a million a year!

The highest figure my brain can even begin to concieve of would be about $5 million over 6 years, but it would be irresponsible from GWS' own perspective to sign any player to a 6 year deal. But just say it's $5mil/6years, that's roughly $850k per year. Going on the assumption that he'll be the Dees highest paid player within 5 years, surely we wouldn't be too far off that?? Surely with Melbourne he could earn $550-$600k over the next 5 years broken down something like:

2012: $300k
2013: $400k (and a premiership?!?!?!)
2014: $500k (and a premiership?!?!?!)
2015: $700k (and a premiership?!?!?!)
2016: $900k (and a premiership?!?!?!)

I know it's a fair way off with the money, but we're not talkin 2x or anything silly, and surely it's competitive enough given all of the other things that should be keeping Scully here: family, Dees culture, team bonds, mates, potential flags ("dynasty") within five years, Barassi's number, WS being a hole etc etc etc...

Am I deluding myself here?

You're not far off the mark...

Some comments first. His management saying that they don't want him to be distracted while playing football this year, and want to delay negotiations till the end of the year... All this will do is distract him, given the current climate. If the number one priority here was to concentrate on his footy, they'd sign a 1 year deal... What this indicates to me that he is at least interested in GWS, and he's considering their offer... If I had to bet, I'd wait a couple of weeks, and if nothing has changed I would have my money on him going to GWS...

Secondly, his management won't be concerned with the new CBA, all current agreements would be indexed according to the increase in the CBA...

As for your salary calculations... Lets assume Melb offer a 2 year contract at 500k, followed by 2 years at 600k, and another two at 800k... Totals 3.8 mill over six years, compared to 6 mill over 6 years...

Assume an average tax rate of 40%, that's $3.6 million from GWS, $2.3 mill from us... So over the next six years, it's about 250-300k per year more from GWS in his skyrocket...

Putting aside the fact that I'm now keen for a fillet mignon, chefs don't retire when they are 30. And one year of experience as an AFL footballer playing at the MCG is worth 10 for a chef in some restaurant.

This! Everytime he goes near the pill this year, it's another kick in the guts at what we will be missing in the future! We as supporters and his team mates deserve the right to know if he is committed to this club's future. If not, then get out. Put some time into Gysberts, Blease, Tapscott and Maric instead. We don't need disloyal ,money grubbing scumbags playing in our great jumper....

If he was going to the GWS, I don't think he would admit it to Melbourne. He knows he's going to play for Casey for the rest of the season if he did. If he doesn't sign by Rd5 I'd imagine it would be difficult for Melbourne supporters to decide to cheer him or boo him when he has a good game.

There is no reason now for Scully not to sign with Melbourne before the start of the season, unless he is leaving.

1/ his value is already fever pitch and Melbourne would pay the best price possible for him to get his signature. So there is no point in trying to play the season to get a better deal.
2/ if he doesn't sign the rumours of him leaving will be major distraction to not only him or the team. He know this would be very distabalising for the club. If he truely care about the club he wouldn't ruin the season by "leaving it until the end of the season" (which sounds a lot like GAJ said last year).

From Demonland

Tom Scully Statement

9 February 2011

So i imagine that they will be putting off contract talks for all of the players they manage then otherwise they would be treating them negligently? :rolleyes:

F this crap. The AFL are a pack of bastards for allowing such a scenario in the first place.

I'm waiting for Barassi to come out and scare seven shades of shit outta him, that'll bring him in line. Coz if Scully leaves after everything we've done for him, and after Barassi having faith in him to carry on the legacy of his #31 jumper... shit's gonna hit the fan. No doubt.

All these articles scare me, they really do. If we lose Scully, it'll show his true character and how unloyal he is as a footballer. Trengove shoulda been #1 pick, he's loyalty shines true, he signed for 3 years to ensure no one else could take him, AND he came out and said he wants to be a Dee for life. Why couldn't Scully do that? Or was his head resting upon other clouds?

If Scully leaves, I'll NEVER forgive him. Put it that way.

How do you judge Nathan Buckley for leaving Brisbane after one year?

What does Scully owe Melbourne? He was drafted by the club. he didn't choose to play for Melbourne. He was signed on the standard 2 year contract for a first round draft selection. I think he played an outstanding first season for the MFC. If he was training badly and couldn't get a game, would Melbourne be as keen to keep him?

Before you even drafted him, his management would've been aware of the potential GWS offer.

sheedy's interview... it was less brazen then i would expect if scully had signed

why? Did Guy McKenna ever publicly admit that they'd signed Ablett?

The GC president accidentally let slip in a tv interview a line "when the time comes", but apart from that they played a straight bat.

The GWS president has already said they've signed a very young star of the competition. That would certainly describe Scully.

So i imagine that they will be putting off contract talks for all of the players they manage then otherwise they would be treating them negligently? :rolleyes:

F this crap. The AFL are a pack of bastards for allowing such a scenario in the first place.

I'm 80% confident that Scully has signed a heads of agreement with GWS. If he hasn't signed a contract with Melbourne by the end of May then unfortunately for you guys we know what that means...

Hopefully none of the teams that lost a player to GC will lose one to GWS. Especially the Bartel rumour that's doing the rounds.

I haven't read through the whole thread, will go back and do it in a sec but I had to vent.

This ****ing sucks, it really really ****in sucks. It has ruined my day, left a sour taste in my mouth and seriously dampened my optimism for the coming season, which was literally bubbling over until now.

I really feel sorry for Scully here too, he is going to read and hear a lot of stuff that will make him feel terrible, and if it is all rumours that that stuff will have an undue adverse affect on his season.

On the other hand, and this is the type of "stuff" I was referring to above, if he does leave I will hate him unwaveringly forever and will mercilessly and relentlessly give it to him every opportunity I get. It will also seriously shake my interest and faith in footy and will put a huge dent in our improvement over the coming years.

We will not get better compensation than GFC got, I cannot remember the specifics, but more weight is given in the compensation formula to age and proven performance, than to draft "value". We will get a first round pick, but it would most likely be around pick 20. Effectively we would be being robbed, blatantly robbed.

I will be so dissapointed if he goes, I seriously cannot say it strongly enough. If it were to be confirmed I would be in the school of thought of not giving him any game time whatsoever, even at Casey. Just don't let him play at all.

That's all, for now... I ****in hate this.

+1 to everything. Except for the draft pick, how could we not get a no.1 pick? F**k the formula, if we didn't get a no.1 pick it would be a disgrace. Not that this whole situation isn't a disgrace anyway.

I posted this in the other thread too - theres no way in hell he's going to wait until the end of the season just to re-sign with us.

The offer on the table now is probably as high as its going to be at years end - if we dont get the deal done in the next 4 - 6 weeks, Im expecting him to go.

If it comes out he has made an agreement with GWS, I cant see any other option than to put him on 'gardening leave' with immediate effect.

I really wanna remain postitive and true deep down inside, ignoring my anger-fuelled out-burst earlier on. But the problem is, after watching the gold coast rape the shit outta the comp and get well over 50% of the people they were after and/or rumored to get, I can't help but feel very uneasy.

With all this talk up in the air, as someone else mentioned earlier, It's killed the excitement I had for this season. I won't go as far as say it's completley killed it, but it's definetly taken a large chunk of it and replaced it with worry. Everytime we see Scully do something really well, and everytime we see him kick a goal and/or embrace with teammates, It'll be like OPETH mentioned earlier... it'll be hard to judge how much of it's real and what's just put on to give off the illusion he's happy and committed.

I don't exactly know what this means but, how long is that supposed to take? All year? Like, what is it, can anyone explain to me what it means, coz I'm lost tbh. What does anything here have to do with Scully's contract to Melbourne? I don't understand. Someone explain if possibile. (Apologies if it's really obvious and I'm a dunce LOL!)

Ohh and BTW; New article in today's Sun.

It might not be as bad as you think. We went through this last year with Pav & Mundy. Both said exactly the same thing and in the end both re-signed despite substantial coin on offer from other clubs. The reason they signed? They both want to taste success with the team mates they've already done some hard yards with.
Mundy even went back to Vic after the season fuelling rampant media speculation he had already done a deal with Essendon. He just wanted some time to think it through.
The horse hasn't bolted yet. The hardest part is the waiting and how it takes away your enjoyment for the footy!

We have such double standards in football. It is okay for clubs to trade and dump players, but how dare a player set himself up for life. If I was Melbourne, I would be very upset if he left, but sometimes these things happen.

I've read a few comments about booing Scully, putting him back to the VFL... Not sure this shows good form.

I'm sure that if your boss offered you $400,000 and then another company came along and offered you $3,000,000 in the first year...you would wave goodbye to your old company.

I heard the entire scoop and I can assure you Ed did no such thing.

He made it perfectly clear that GWS would also be coming after "his players" and that you can guarantee it "will happen". They were his exact words. No deflection tactics whatsoever.
BULL SHIT! This is Eddie at his best. Collingwood have 2 of the best players players in the league out of of contract, they are the players that have to be the no1 priority for GWS so what does Eddie do "Scully's gone". The media pressure is then suddenly off Swan and Pendlebury (only for a little while though).

MANAGEMENT! WHO ****ING NEEDS THEM! The people who thought management would be good for anything should be shot. Worthless good for nothing germs that are only in it for themselves and will screw anyone to make a buck. All they have done is make Scully look like a **** and for that they will get extra commition.

If Scully goes that will be it for me I'll be one of those people who will say "footy isn't what it used to be". I think it would be the greatest dog act of all time chasing money when he has done nothing to earn it.

Remove this Banner Ad

If Scully was discovered to have signed with GWS...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back