News Impact of COVID-19 on season 2020 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Been to Weipa a few times, that oval is hellishly hard.

Really? I was there 25 years ago though. Was ok then as I remember.
Rock hard grounds reminds me of going to Burracoppin to watch footy in the 70's. I swear that oval was gravel top dressed with blue metal. Nukarni was much better because that was just bog standard dirt. Sensibly both teams now play at Merredin oval on the grass.

Really? I was there 25 years ago though. Was ok then as I remember.
Rock hard grounds reminds me of going to Burracoppin to watch footy in the 70's. I swear that oval was gravel top dressed with blue metal. Nukarni was much better because that was just bog standard dirt. Sensibly both teams now play at Merredin oval on the grass.
I worked for Sodexo as a HSE and went there back in 2016 and 2017, we looked after the town. I used go for a walk around the oval after work. Great place though.

I would have thought that having crowds of 20000 - 25000 at Optus would be reason enough to keep having games here. Not sure why we need to go back in to a hub in Queensland??

I would have thought that having crowds of 20000 - 25000 at Optus would be reason enough to keep having games here. Not sure why we need to go back in to a hub in Queensland??
Because Brisbane need a leg up. Would like to see how they would have done this season with away games instead of all but 1 away.

After the game against Sydney we only have GWS, Melbourne, North, Richmond and Bulldogs to play. Right now we can't play any of those teams in their home state, and we will probably play GWS the week after Sydney anyway.

Eagles will have Essendon, North, Richmond, Saints and Bulldogs to go. None of those teams can play in their home state either.

What have the crowds been like for the games in Queensland with 2 interstate teams?

Got
After the game against Sydney we only have GWS, Melbourne, North, Richmond and Bulldogs to play. Right now we can't play any of those teams in their home state, and we will probably play GWS the week after Sydney anyway.

Eagles will have Essendon, North, Richmond, Saints and Bulldogs to go. None of those teams can play in their home state either.

What have the crowds been like for the games in Queensland with 2 interstate teams?
Crowds look Pretty lack lustre on the t.v..
Qld have just about every oz sport based there at the moment. They are spoilt for choice.

I reckon we are getting more games next year but keeping the shorter games. The fact Danger is entertaining the discussion tells me the AFL are seriously thinking about it to increase revenue.

Bring it on I say.
I've hardly noticed the shorter quarters. Could we get to a situation where every team plays each other twice?

We used to have a 23 week season for 22 games played didnt we?

You start a week earlier by cutting down the pre-season games, cut out the bye at the end of the home and away season. Keeping the mid season bye, in 25 weeks, you would need to play on average, every 5 days, to get a 34 round season in (25 x 7 / 5 = 35).

Every 5 days probably isnt possible, if you make it every 6, you can get 28 games in, making it 6 teams you dont play twice, not perfect, but better for fairness

I've hardly noticed the shorter quarters. Could we get to a situation where every team plays each other twice?

You start a week earlier by cutting down the pre-season games, cut out the bye at the end of the home and away season. Keeping the mid season bye, in 25 weeks, you would need to play on average, every 5 days, to get a 34 round season in (25 x 7 / 5 = 35).

Every 5 days probably isnt possible, if you make it every 6, you can get 28 games in, making it 6 teams you dont play twice, not perfect, but better for fairness
I think 34 is too many but I think 27-28 is definitely on the cards.

Hardly noticed the shorter quarters?!? Scores under 60 are commonplace for both teams in a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardly noticed the shorter quarters?!? Scores under 60 are commonplace for both teams in a game.
Sure but I dont think that has impacted my enjoyment of the game. I havent once finished watching a match and thought, this would have been a lot more enjoyable if each quarter went longer.

What I have noticed is how awesome it is to have a footy game on every day the last month. I would prefer a match every day with shortened quarters than back to longer quarters and only Thursday (sometimes) to Monday (sometimes)

Sure but I dont think that has impacted my enjoyment of the game. I havent once finished watching a match and thought, this would have been a lot more enjoyable if each quarter went longer

I vociferously disagree myself. I'm enjoying footy actually being on after months off but I have really noticed the change in overall game and it has definitely effected my enjoyment on a fundamental level.

I cannot wait for quarters to go back to full length.

I vociferously disagree myself. I'm enjoying footy actually being on after months off but I have really noticed the change in overall game and it has definitely effected my enjoyment on a fundamental level.

I cannot wait for quarters to go back to full length.
Sorry for my late edit with another sentence.

Interesting that we can have such different views, maybe I'm just enjoying the buzz around Freo

Sure but I dont think that has impacted my enjoyment of the game. I havent once finished watching a match and thought, this would have been a lot more enjoyable if each quarter went longer.

What I have noticed is how awesome it is to have a footy game on every day the last month. I would prefer a match every day with shortened quarters than back to longer quarters and only Thursday (sometimes) to Monday (sometimes)
I hate with a passion the minute between goals, particularly at the games.

I'd:
Shift Melbourne to Darwin
Shift North to Tassie
Fold saints and Bulldogs
Every team plays each other twice
16 players per side (on the field)
Keep the shorter quarters

I think 34 is too many but I think 27-28 is definitely on the cards.

A fair fixture is all they should be aiming for. 34 is the fairest of the lot but would clearly need larger lists (not smaller lists as they are talking) and better player management where any one individual even if uninjured would be managed into 6 or 7 games a year off.
If they don't go to 34 (which they won't), there are many other options to make it fairer than the current system of 22. Shit you could even make 22 fairer with the 17-5 idea rather than fixturing the 22 rounds up front.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Impact of COVID-19 on season 2020 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back