News Interesting story on how we got Shaun Burgoyne

Remove this Banner Ad

essaynode

Senior List
Aug 24, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
"The Hawks, as a result, got their man, effectively trading Williams and pick nine for the extremely relieved Burgoyne. The irony is that, after basically saving the deal, Geelong may well turn out the long-term winner. Burgoyne could help Hawthorn win another premiership, and the Hawks got Williams off their books."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...nning-cream-20110726-1hylh.html#ixzz1TFt6C3Dp

Geelongs strength is the leadership group and structures they have in place. Nothing more nothing less.

Chapman, Enright, Scarlett, Taylor, Bartel, Selwood and Ling all play for the club and not for themselves and this is infectious.

They play the roles they are given and back the systmes they have in place and this is when good sides become great.

Humphrey B Bear could get a game and do well at Geelong if he was prepared to fit into the structure.

lets judge Duncan Vardy etc when the strong leaders start to drop away-

Geelongs strength is the leadership group and structures they have in place. Nothing more nothing less.

Chapman, Enright, Scarlett, Taylor, Bartel, Selwood and Ling all play for the club and not for themselves and this is infectious.

They play the roles they are given and back the systmes they have in place and this is when good sides become great.

Humphrey B Bear could get a game and do well at Geelong if he was prepared to fit into the structure.

lets judge Duncan Vardy etc when the strong leaders start to drop away-

What a lot of tripe that article is.

Humphrey could be a good performer, but apparently he is very quiet on field and at training:D.

Agree whole heartidly that these yound kids at the Cats are OK but pressure will fall upon them as the elder champs at the Cats decline.

Then and only then will we see what they are made of.

Geelong have a good strong culture that helps young players develop. We do here too, you'll find that certain clubs do well with youth because a track record of success develops that within a club.

You look at Richmond - I can guarantee you that Joel Selwood, or even Cyril would be half the players they are now if they'd ended up there. Just too much failure ingrained into the club.

Menzel and Christensen are the only two of that group that I genuinely rate. Vardy is ok, he's gonna struggle against 202cm+ blokes and he's never going to be a gun forward (from what I've seen). Might be a similar sort of player to Wayde Skipper.
Duncan was a mature ager if I'm not mistaken? Anyway, it's pretty easy to have a good game when you're playing Richmond down at Skilled Stadium. Breust and Savage (4 goals each) ran amok against Gold Coast in Tassie too.

Interesting trade period, that. Given two of the main players involved - Williams and Lovett played 4 games for their new clubs between them. So the Saints effectively lost pick 16 for nothing, Essendon probably came out slightly ahead really - they effectively got picks 24 and 33 for Lovett and Nash (although Williams cost them a lot of $$). Port did okay - in reality Burgoyne was never going to play another final for them anyway, and they got some good picks. We got Burgoyne for pick 9, and avioded having to pay Mark Williams any more money, without him being screwed over.

Hopefully Mark can now come back to Hawthorn as a part-time kicking coach.

If we'd used pick 16 on Carlisle, everyone would've crowed... we traded the pick away and ended up still getting him... that's the way things work.

The money wasn't really an issue - with ~4 of our top 10 earners off our books that year, we were probably battling to pay the minimum required of the cap.

I thought we were pretty deep into Christensen too, with that pick 33 we ended up using on Long. Looks good - smart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we'd used pick 16 on Carlisle, everyone would've crowed... we traded the pick away and ended up still getting him... that's the way things work.

The money wasn't really an issue - with ~4 of our top 10 earners off our books that year, we were probably battling to pay the minimum required of the cap.

I thought we were pretty deep into Christensen too, with that pick 33 we ended up using on Long. Looks good - smart.

That's a rubbish argument.

If that's the case you renegotiate and front end a bunch of contracts, make a huge amount of space 1 - 2 years away and then grab yourself a Trengove, Walker, Rich...

Wasn't he an umpire? :)

I understand the point you are making here. Look at some of the rookies who came into the Hawthorn teams of the late 80s/early 90s. They slotted in, did their role, and everyone assumed they would be stars throught the 90s. However, when Tuck, DiPierdomenico, Ayres, Brereton, Langford, etc gave it away, they were unable to step up and began to look like very ordinary players. These young Geelong players are yet to prove themselves, but that time will come.

That's a rubbish argument.

If that's the case you renegotiate and front end a bunch of contracts, make a huge amount of space 1 - 2 years away and then grab yourself a Trengove, Walker, Rich...
Who do you front end? Melksham hadn't played a game, Hurley was only on his first deal, etc etc. There honestly wasn't many guys (bar the 4-5 usual suspects) who'd done a lot to deserve it - I'm not convinced throwing another $200k at a 19-20yo Hurley or Zaha would've been a good idea.

It was a gamble, it dropped us 8 spots down the draft and up the same amount on another few picks, and it didn't work.
It really is as simple as that.

Maybe making cap space 2 years down the track is a plan, though... ;)

I noticed this when looking at the Burgoyne trade too. Although Quayle does use some poetic licence in her article, it's definitely true that the Cats did well with their picks from this trade.

^^ Same. Geez that Wells can pick 'em.

Can he?
Good picks 2006 Selwood, 2007 Harry Taylor, 2009 Menzel + Duncan
ok picks 2006 Hawkins, 2008 Motlop
dud picks 2006 Djerrkura, Hogan, 2007 Simpson x 2, 2008, Brown, Gillies

add the recruiting of Henry PlayfairNand Marcus Drum and then losing Shane Mumford. I'm not sure that is particularly good or if Wells, can in fact, pick 'em!

Can he?

add the recruiting of Henry PlayfairNand Marcus Drum and then losing Shane Mumford. I'm not sure that is particularly good or if Wells, can in fact, pick 'em!
I wouldn't call Hogan a dud. He's battled some inner demons, but has certainly shown he can play.

Can he?

Playfair must have been 10 years ago while we paid peanuts for Drum and let me get this straight; Wells gets credited for 'losing' Mumford in a trade but not drafting him as a rookie?

What about Podsiadly? also last I checked all bar one of the duds are developing and have played AFL footy this year.

Playfair must have been 10 years ago while we paid peanuts for Drum and let me get this straight; Wells gets credited for 'losing' Mumford in a trade but not drafting him as a rookie?

What about Podsiadly? also last I checked all bar one of the duds are developing and have played AFL footy this year.

Podsiadly was a no brainer. Kinda like picking Ahmed Saad in the 2011 draft.

Thorp, Dowler, Muston, Peterson all showed they could play but I think we would accept that they were dud picks. Therefore, Hogan=dud pick
Well I reckon he goes alright. He's not a superstar, but he's shown a bit and is still young. Long way to go yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Interesting story on how we got Shaun Burgoyne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back