Intra Club Match - Replay up @ saints.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

Just hope everyone took notice of the role JB played yesterday. High half forward/wing but licence to roam especially to get forward. I haven't been this excited for a player since young roo or dal

We now have cattle that can allow our more attacking players to be forward of the ball which was evident yesterday with savage playing a similar role in the second half and Roberton pushing up to the wing.

JB is in my SC side at F4 and will not be removed. Last night just confirmed it for me - a breakout year is looming large!!

Mc cartin looked more dangerous but probably reputation. Battle just made goals out of not much a lot of the time. paddy missed two sitters, one 25 meters out and slight angle.
25m out is being pretty generous I think. Would have been 15m tops. Was a shocker that he's hopefully gotten out of his system!

Just got around to watching the rest of the game.

The stream was fantastic, well done GJD23 , I owe you a beer when I'm in Melbourne!

Billings was fantastic, got plenty of it and used the ball really well. Dunstan for me wasn't far behind either. Great to see Paddy taking a few good marks, but down the other end Battle was a star. I didn't think he was much of a chance to play a game this year to be honest, but with that form, who knows.

Steele and Stevens did okay through the middle, Acres was a bit disappointing though, he needs a good performance or two from now on if he wants to play round one because there are so many guys fighting for that on ball/half forward role that there will likely be a good player or two miss out.

Yep to me Billing was the star of yesterday. Just did everything well and looked so confident. If injury doesn't take him down he should have great season. I thought Gilbo was really underrated with his running and ability to collect the ball and move it quickly. I liked it when they threw Mav into the middle and could see him having the odd run on the ball while someone from the midfield needed to rest up forward. The Irish boys both showed glimpses. I can remember which was which but the speed was ridiculous on one. Big Marshall and Battle both good, improvement from nearly all our rucks, Lonie was up and about. Lots of mids put in strong performances and some great rebound from several guys like Savage.

34 disposals, 11 marks and 2 goals for Billings. Imagine if he can do that consistently during the regular season :eek:
Similar to his stats against Collingwood early last year IIRC. He looked set for a big season after that game, but injury and form got the better of him. Hopefully he's full of confidence going into this season.

By the sound of it the fastest bloke on our list would speak with an Irish accent.
And Membrey and Bruce will need to be on their game to keep young Battle out.

I think a more interesting forward line will be (in a hypothetical sense)

Out: bruce, membrey
In: Battle, Marshall

Just makes the 2nd ruck/forward more reliable and Battle provides more goalkicking presence.

Just makes the 2nd ruck/forward more reliable and Battle provides more goalkicking presence.

Surely a joke. Membrey just kicked 44 goals in 17 games and Bruce has 88 in his last 44 and he will come in and offer more goalkicking presence?? While Battle was ultra impressive let's not get ahead of ourselves... Would be pretty unrealistic to expect an 18 year old completing yr 12 to overtake either of those boys with proven AFL goal kicking ability after just one intra club game.

IMG_1197.GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Battle has only played the interclub match sure, but I am expecting him to be played in the pre-season games on that effort,so if he keeps up yesterdays form it will be hard to keep him out of the team.

Anyone know what team/number were Coughlan, NOK & White in the intra-club?
Wouldnt mind having another watch tonight, keeping an eye on a few particular players including them.
Pretty sure Coughlan was 67 for the Sandy team. Did some nice things linking up out of the backline.

Interesting to see the Hun today; 2 and a bit pages on the Filth v the Injectors, articles on Eade's thoughts on zones and Viney as a captain, and a 3/4 page on Richmond's intraclub...

Saints nowhere to be seen... :huh:

Collingwood/Richmond ferals buy papers and watch TV news. On Channel 9 headlines they mention Collingwood Sinclair's injury and have a video of him on crutches - Sinclair is no Pendles, Steele Sidebottom, etc. Purely to try to get better ratings in the news battles. It is pathetic!

Battle has only played the interclub match sure, but I am expecting him to be played in the pre-season games on that effort,so if he keeps up yesterdays form it will be hard to keep him out of the team.

Considering he hasn't played an AFL game and Bruce and Membrey are proven at AFL level and McCartin has played well besides concussion and will have improved immensely again, I think it'll be fairly easy to keep him out of the team. None of the 3 mentioned are going to be missing for Battle early on if fit.

God damn people are seriously jumping the gun about Battle.
At this stage he is nothing more than an ace up our sleeve.
I'll be extremely surprised if he debuted this year due to his off field workload.

Last edited:
I remember the following players playing their first intraclub without impressing me.
Jarryd Allen
Khan Haratuku ( even though he looked good as in big)
Tom Lynch
Rhys Stanley
Paul Cahill
Will Johnson
Daniel Archer
Jordan Staley
Don't remember Paddy being this impressive on his first practise match.

Sippo took some good marks but it was not to be.
Spencer might have looked good , but didn't kick many goals.

We've had to rely on the likes of Beau Maister and Tom Lee for intraclub goal kicking excitement.

Yes he's got a long long way to go but stop trying to tip cold water over my head....:mad:

God damn people are seriously jumping the gun about Battle.

Err..

M

Much as I liked Battle yesterday there are 4 words why you will not yet see him in our firsts: McCartin, Bruce, Membrey, Riewoldt.

Add to that that he is the youngest player on our list. If he maintains that sort of form and if we have an injury they may give him a taste at some stage. Otherwise he just gets to complete his VCE this year and gets some experience at Sandi.

Err..

M

Much as I liked Battle yesterday there are 4 words why you will not yet see him in our firsts: McCartin, Bruce, Membrey, Riewoldt.

Add to that that he is the youngest player on our list. If he maintains that sort of form and if we have an injury they may give him a taste at some stage. Otherwise he just gets to complete his VCE this year and gets some experience at Sandi.

In his favour he's already an endurance beast.
If he has a few good games with the Zebs and something happens to one of McCartin , Bruce or Membrey, it could raise a question, do we leave Riewoldt on the wing and bring in Battle, or do we put Riewoldt forward.

I'll be very surprised if he's not a goal machine in the VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Intra Club Match - Replay up @ saints.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

Back