Irish media is one thing, what about the Irish people?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 3, 2006
Beside your Mum
AFL Club
Fremantle
We all know how the media works -- If there is a hint of controversy, beat it up and enjoy a rise in increased circulation. Works every time.

But the media can be a little out of touch with the people they claim they cater to, so for our Irish friends on these boards, what's the talk on the street in Ireland now, ie letters to the editor, talkback radio, vox pops, etc?

I was in ireland after the chris johnson incident, and after speaking to blokes at the pub where we were watching, they didn't seem to mind and didn't know what the fuss was about.

The DAY OF SHAME .. jeez, get a grip !!!

RIGHT, lets have the perspective first. I saw nothing in yesterday's Ireland v Australia game that I have not seen on the GAA fields of Ireland in the last 25 years or so.

There, I have seen teams deliberately go out to illegally intimidate opposing teams in the first 15 minutes as the Australians did yesterday. I have many times seen the most talented players on teams, usually forwards, being picked out for special treatment such as off the ball assaults, pulling, dragging and verbal provocation. And yes I have also seen mass brawls being used as a deliberate tactic by teams who were getting a roasting in play and using this 'tactic' as a means of smashing, literally, the rhythm of their opponents. Sadly, all too often it worked.
So when the Australians adopted this approach in the opening quarter yesterday not many GAA people should have been as shocked as those who I later met professed to be. This approach has, thankfully, largely disappeared from top-class Gaelic football and we know the same is true of games under the auspices of the Australian Football League.
Therefore for the cream of AFL players to revert to the barbarism of previous times is unforgivable - just as it would be for a team playing in our own All-Ireland final. In the inevitable 'discussions' that will take place about the future of this series between the GAA and the AFL, the GAA must establish why this occurs and if it cannot be guaranteed that it will cease, then the GAA will probably take the hard decision that so many people in Ireland want.

The demeanour and facial expression of GAA President Nickey Brennan at the end of yesterday's game did not bode well for the future of this operation. Understandable, as he is the one who had to sit beside the President and Taoiseach and cringe as leader of the GAA while the disgusting first-quarter was played out.

Now lets deal with the rest of the game, that is a period of about 60 minutes from the time the intimidation stopped to the finish during which the game was played in an exemplary sporting manner.

There was only one team in this game as Australia handed out a lesson in the skills of both their own running game and the more static Gaelic football to the Irish players. It was a really a massacre and a massive letdown for the thousands and thousands of youngsters who were in Croke Park.

When a national team plays a competitive game one expects some heroes to emerge, people who will captivate the younger fans particularly. However, yesterday, hardly any Ireland player warranted that description.
The youngsters who had watched the home players build up huge reputations while playing with their counties must have felt totally disillusioned as they watched a bunch of footballers who had never played Gaelic football or used a round ball demolish their heroes in a most devastating manner.

Barry Hall, for instance, whose outstanding performances in the AFL had even been noted on this side of the world, absolutely destroyed the Ireland defensive system, taking marks at will and scoring freely with this alien football. And the point scoring from play by Aaron Davey, Danyle Pearce and Justin Sherman was of a standard we rarely see in Gaelic football these days. Lets give credit where it is due in this regard.

As opposed to that the scoring efforts of some of the very best forwards in Gaelic football such as Steve McDonnell, Benny Coulter and Paul Barden were very poor to put it at its mildest and of course the total failure of these and other talented forwards to muster up even one goal in the 72 minutes was truly amazing. Indeed just one goal in about 150 minutes of the two games is a shocking reflection on the standard of forward play in Gaelic football if we are to take it at face value.

There were of course some extenuating factors and I have no hesitation in saying that it seemed to me that several players on the Ireland side did not fancy putting their life and limbs on the line for the Ireland cause and many will say that is understandable, but is it?

I just cannot accept that if numerous Ireland players who got excellent scoring chances in the two games against Australia got the same opportunities in the Ulster, Connacht, Munster or Leinster championship they would not reap a better harvest on the scoreboard.

There may be food for thought there for Seán Boylan and his backroom team as they prepare for next year's trip to Australia and the impression I picked up, that the panel for this year would be already well on the way to Aussieland in 2007, looks like being totally revised after the last two weekends.

I have no doubt there are many other players in the game better suited for these confrontations than several who operated in the two recent games and no doubt the Ireland brains trust will themselves be a lot wiser when they plan their next campaign.

That is the nature of this compromise exercise and some GAA players are better at compromising than others. Looking at the Australians in full flight for the closing three quarters yesterday one could only imagine the impact some of their best players would make on an Irish county team.

A county like Laois for example who lack a bit of physical power would really be in business if they had Matthew Lappin, Barry Hall or Aaron Davey in their ranks. As has been the case for several years now the Australians put the standard on kicking and foot-passing of Gaelic players in perspective.

After only a few weeks practise with the round ball they were, in many cases, far superior to even the best of the Ireland players yesterday as once again the home players kicked numerous balls aimlessly into the goalkeeper Dustin Fletcher's hands thereby not only wasting a scoring chance but giving away the all-important possession.

After only a few weeks with the round ball Australia were far superior to even the best of the Ireland playersI believe Ireland would do better if they built their challenge to Australia around Gaelic football as we play it with plenty of wing play and above all a policy of getting the ball in quickly into the full-forward line.

Perhaps we have deviated too much from the basic precepts of Gaelic in favour of counteracting the way the Australians play and, as the last couple of series show, this isn't working.

Despite the fact that Australia 'tagged' certain players such as Graham Geraghty and Sean Cavanagh by man-marking them yesterday, there is still a lot more vacant space in this game than in modern Gaelic football and, by sticking more closely to the basics of Gaelic, Ireland should be able to capitalise on that space.

Ireland's total score yesterday was extremely poor which indicates where the real problem lies and where most attention needs to be devoted for next year's series in Australia.

When I attended aus-irish games at the MCG the crowd atmosphere was very friendly, desopte the Huge amounts of beer being consumed.

It would be a pity if the on-field bods destroyed this, but what do you expect with a thug like sheedy in charge.

I wonder if irish fans cringe as much at thir coach's antics as we do at sheedy's. Already he talks like he owns the national team - sorry sheeds, you are coach on a year to year basis.

Did you hear about the Irish Stand up Comedian?

He walked off the stage because everyone was laughing at him.

LOL

An Irishman wanted to become an Englishman, so he visited a doctor to find out how to go about this. "Well" said the doctor, "this is a very delicate operation and there is a lot that can go wrong. I will have to remove half your brain". "That's OK" said the Irishman. "I've always wanted to be English and I'm prepared to take the risk".

The operation went ahead but the Irishman woke to find a look of horror on the face of the doctor. "I'm so terribly sorry!!" the doctor said. "Instead of removing half the brain, I've taken the whole brain out". The patient replied, "No worries, mate!!"

Find out here http://p072.ezboard.com/fgaadiscussionboardfrm1

and specifically here http://p072.ezboard.com/fgaadiscussi...ID=13139.topic

To sum up: we are a nation of neandtrathal thugs.

Lord, what an absolute pack of deadset mental short people.

After reading some of the tripe posted on there, you can only come to the conclusion that "Fighting Irish" has to be the biggest bull******** cultural myth ever propogated.

Yeah that would be a fair description of Aussie Rules/Rugby players nation wide culture.

If ever you want to view violent/racist/sexist people just go down to ya local footy club.

I'm sure you know where the airport is.

An Irishman wanted to become an Englishman, so he visited a doctor to find out how to go about this. "Well" said the doctor, "this is a very delicate operation and there is a lot that can go wrong. I will have to remove half your brain". "That's OK" said the Irishman. "I've always wanted to be English and I'm prepared to take the risk".

The operation went ahead but the Irishman woke to find a look of horror on the face of the doctor. "I'm so terribly sorry!!" the doctor said. "Instead of removing half the brain, I've taken the whole brain out". The patient replied, "No worries, mate!!"
You dislike Australians so you come on a site dedicated to the national sport of that country?

The Irish are good people, no doubt about. But like any other people they have their peculiarities., Yes they are blaggers, even they will acknowledge this. No biggie, but they will use it to get their own way. They can blagg their way into anything. Gift of the gab others may call it. But like so many powers this can be used for evil as well as good. At the end of the day what is coming through is the media response and the coaches, there can be no doubt here people they are having a good old whinge. Every country does it when they lose to Australia, every single one. So those of you around here who are taking this opportunity to slag Australia off for being racists or thugs (which we may or may not be) choose the correct forum for your soap box. Beciase right now the Irish are making fools of themselves by refusing to admit their part in the problem, which is unfortunate, as they are good bunch of people, who, right now, are sooking.

Its a far cry from saying " it was a tough hard fought emotional match, we had it in our hands and lost it, congratulations to Australia they won."

Imagine the captain or coach getting up on the podium at the grand final and sooking......please,......talk straight people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fighting irish is american school motto, nothing to do with being irish now or the Gaa. muppet.

as for the myth we started the fighting, how thick would they irish guys be to start on professionals who are physically stonger then them before the ball is even thrown in. did half the people on here actually watch the teat. not so seem bias you played us off the park aswell and some irish players resorted to disgraceful violance also.

fighting irish is american school motto, nothing to do with being irish now or the Gaa. muppet.

as for the myth we started the fighting, how thick would they irish guys be to start on professionals who are physically stonger then them before the ball is even thrown in. did half the people on here actually watch the teat. not so seem bias you played us off the park aswell and some irish players resorted to disgraceful violance also.

Excellent question. I mean what sort of idiot when realising he was outgunned would, say, drop his knee in a guys back/head when he was laying on the ground or headbutt a guy 50 metres off the ball or swing his leg recklessly at an opponent when the ball was long gone???

Would have to be a bloody idiot to do that sort of stuff.... I guess if anyone were that stupid starting a fight wouldnt be out of the question would it? :rolleyes:

The bias coming out of Ireland beggars belief. All the Aussie "offences" were in play and completely reasonable from an AFL perspective. In contrast, headbutting or dropping a knee or kicking a guy as you run past would all have attracted substantial suspensions in AFL.

This ongoing defense of the "poor amateur Irish" as merely responding to some sort of intentional thuggery from the 'big horrible professionals" is not merely wrong its insulting to the players and the rest of us Aussies.

If you cant acknowledge that the Irish acts of thuggery were cowardly cheap shots then your deluded. As for your coach taking them off at quarter time and wanting to stop the game and then whinging like a girl post match - he is clearly a coward, no other explanation makes sense.

read my post again you fool, i did comment on the disgraceful violance (taken word for word from my previous post) of the irish.

as i said the irish react (note the word) badly to orginial agression from the australians. some irish players employed dirty tactics as they knew going face to face with an australian would mean defeat.

this is not AFL i repeat this is not AFL. (also not gaa) so you rules of engagement as someone posted has help my knowledge when i watch AFL on tv it has nothing to do with IR.

Coward maybe but is pushing someones head into the ground and jumping someone from behind not a cowardly act, withstanding the fact also if they are Physically not as strong as you are and is outside the rules of the game.

read my post again you fool, i did comment on the disgarceful violance (taken word for word from my previous post) of the irish.

as i said the irish react (not the word) babdly to oginial agreesion from the australian. some irish players employed dirty tactics as they knew going face to face with an australian would mean defeat.

this is not AFL i repeat this is not AFL. (also not gaa) so you rules of engagement as someone posted has help my knowledge when i watch AFL on tv it has nothinbg to do with IR.

Coward maybe but is pushing someones head into the ground and jumpinng someone from behind not a cowardly act also if they are Physically not as strong as you are and is outside the rules of the game.

Your point was (as seems the eternal Irish defence for everything) that the Irish were merely responding to the wrongs started by others (in this case the Aussies). Your proposition was that the Irish wouldnt have started it as they are merely outgunned amateurs - I simply pointed out that if they are stupid enough to drop knees, headbutt and kick people then perhaps there stupidity could extend to starting fights they cant win...

Of course you dont accept this because (a) you are Irish and therefore the application of logic and the ability to be self-critical are not a strong point and (b) you are clearly not that sharp.

Just so its clear, we DO NOT accept that there was some thuggish pre-meditated attack by us which caused the poor humble Irishmen to become violent cheap shot merchants. Having watched the game twice, I am yet to see one off the ball incident STARTED by an Aussie that was anything more than a push/shove or wrestle.

As for your "its not AFL" this is pretty clear - imagine how much whinging we would hear if we actually tackled you properly (afl style) and ran through your bunch of soft ***** - Theyve got to pick Byron Pickett for next year - would love to see Gerraghty call him a "black ********" ...:D

why are they stupid for dropping knees, headbutting? i never said it was stupid, i said disgraceful. when you have to defend yourself sometimes dirty tactics is all you can use. Stupid would of being letting the aus. team hit us off the ball and not react. i know they was a mindset there for two reason

1. gilbee was very clear in his comments
2. i played golf at the K Club and talked to 5 or 6 of your guys who were playing with Colm o'Rourke (irish ex gaa player and tv pundit) and they told me what they were going to do.

wrestle is no a allow in IR. or pushing the head in the ground.

as for you insult i think its time to you an old irish saying -

never argue with an idiot first they drag you down to their level and then they beat you with experience.

why are they stupid for dropping knees, headbutting? i never said it was stupid, i said disgraceful. when you have to defend yourself sometimes dirty tactics is all you can use. Stupid would of being letting the aus. team hit us off the ball and not react. i know they was a mindset there for two reason

1. gilbee was very clear in his comments
2. i played golf at the K Club and talked to 5 or 6 of your guys who were playing with Colm o'Rourke (irish ex gaa player and tv pundit) and they told me what they were going to do.

wrestle is no a allow in IR. or pushing the head in the ground.

as for you insult i think its time to you an old irish saying -

never argue with an idiot first they drag you down to their level and then they beat you with experience.

Wow, now your claiming the intelligent high ground?

Good to see, AN ARROGANT IRISHMAN - How rare :rolleyes:

Thought you might like this: ;)

Sure l'm an Ulster Orangeman, from Erin's isle I came,
To see my British brethren all of honour and of fame,
And to tell them of my forefathers who fought in days of yore,
That I might have the right to wear, the sash my father wore!

It is old but it is beautiful, and its colors they are fine
It was worn at Derry, Aughrim, Enniskillen and the Boyne.
My father wore it as a youth in bygone days of yore
And on the Twelfth I love to wear the sash my father wore

For those brave men who crossed the Boyne have not fought or died in vain
Our Unity, Religion, Laws, and Freedom to maintain,
If the call should come we'll follow the drum, and cross that river once more
That tomorrow's Ulsterman may wear the sash my father wore!

And when some day, across the sea to Antrim's shore you come,
We'll welcome you in royal style, to the sound of flute and drum
And Ulster's hills shall echo still, from Rathlin to Dromore
As we sing again the loyal strain of the sash my father wore!

back up your putting the sash up on your post? where have the irish trashed talked all the irish said was they wanted to play football (no trashing talking there) the australian players whated revenge????? they backed that up alright:D

why are they stupid for dropping knees, headbutting? i never said it was stupid, i said disgraceful. when you have to defend yourself sometimes dirty tactics is all you can use.

When you use dirty tactics you give up the right to take the moral high ground.

back up your putting the sash up on your post? where have the irish trashed talked all the irish said was they wanted to play football (no trashing talking there) the australian players whated revenge????? they backed that up alright:D

Having watched a fair bit of Irish sport over the years, I have seen plenty of banter, trash talk and "tests of strength" and have seen much reporting in the media praising the "hard men" and the physical approach etc

Then I watch a game where the Aussies come out and engage in a bit of push and shove as a standard "test of strength", nothing dirty or dangerous - the Irish reaction was to firstly become complete thugs and then to give up and then to whinge in a way that would be completely frowned upon if it was an inter-County game.

You guys have not handled one single part of this process well. If there is one thing we do know how to do, its win - in addition we also play above our weight in pretty much any sport we put our minds to. Perhaps the Irish could simply learn to appreciate the attitude that is required to really compete.

Certainly some of the comment on Irish chat sites has agreed with this - we must get tougher, we must improve our tactics and we must get players who arent big scaredy cats (my paraphrasing :D )....

But much of it has been a rehash of your spineless coach. Cowardice and softness, wrapped up with a bloody big whinge.

In your case, you lean dangeroulsy towards your coaches camp while trying to appear all reasonable - which is unfortunate cos your probably not a bad bloke...

:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Irish media is one thing, what about the Irish people?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back