Opinion Is Adams in the Best 21 in 2014?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Dwyer or Blair would be the ones that would be bumped.
Don't forget we also have a hopefully fit young, Fasolo and Toovey.

Good thing is it creates competition for spots

Work with your strengths and structure the midfield around out grunt mids. Pendles, Swan, Beams et. al. work best with a sniff of space feeding off these types.

In 2009, we had zero genuine inside mids, and now we have 3 (and wouldn't underestimate Kennedy's roving / head over the pill ability either). Use them like the Hawks have to success, feeding the quality linkers.

A great side fills it's flanks and pockets with players capable of playing through the midfield. It is the one player type that you almost can't have too many of.

Here is my best side, and this is how you slip them all in there;

B: M.Williams, N.Brown, A.Toovey
HB: H.OBrien, L.Keefe, C.Young
C: J.Thomas, L.Ball, D.Beams
HF: S.Sidebottom, T.Cloke, T.Adams
F: J.White, B.Reid, J.Elliott

R: B.Grundy, S.Pendlebury, D.Swan
I: B.MacAffer, J.Blair, N.Maxwell, S.Dwyer

E: A.Fasolo J.Witts, B.Sinclair, T.Goldsack

Reserves look like this;

B: P.Yagmoor, J.Frost, A.Oxley
HB: J.Ramsey, C.Gault, B.Sinclair
C: P.Seedsman, K.Martin, C.Mooney
HF: M.Clarke, Q.Lynch, T.Goldsack
F: A.Fasolo, B.Hudson, T.Broomhead

R: J.Witts, P.Karnezis, B.Kennedy
I: Marcus Bontempelli, Matt Scharenberg, Dayle Garlett, Jake Kelly
E: Elijah Edwards, Darcy Moore

I agree with what you say, BUT I would most definitely have Goldsack ahead of C.Young any day

I say 21 as I am not counting the Sub.

As we already have some Great Mids in:

- Pendles
- Swan
- Blair
- Dwyer
- Ball
- Beams
- Thomas

ETC ETC

I don't think Blair deserves his spot at times. But other times he seems indispensable.​
I think Adams will leave Blair looking for a new place in the team, maybe that tagger position people were talking about in another thread.​

I think Adams inclusion will be good in getting Thomas to lift his defensive side as both would play a similar role. When Adams tackles you sense he wants to send the opponent to middle earth whereas Thomas to me sometimes looks to be ticking a box.

Ball of course plays the inside role too very well. And what about Macaffer as a tagger?

I suspect Adams may take on that type of role which could allow Cafeteria to go forward again. Cafe has very strong hands and is a good kick so wouldn't mind him down there if we play a two tall forward structure. Can also go to defence if need be.

I'd like to take as many dual position players into a side as possible to give us some tactical flexibility.

In that case I don't necessarily see all of Ball, Adams and Thomas playing in the same side. I'd ranks them as I listed them, but Thomas should replace Ball over time.

I said it a couple of months ago and I will say it again.

We will know we are going places when the likes of Blair and Goldsack cannot get a game.

I love Blair but this is right. For us to go fwd, we need his position to be super-ceded.

I love Blair but this is right. For us to go fwd, we need his position to be super-ceded.
Once we are structured for maximum scoring efficiency - and this means quality ball coming into the forward line - the need for pressure acts, especially repeat pressure acts in the forward line goes down because we are scoring goals first up instead of tring to hold it in, and score from those pressure act opportunities. Still need pressure but it becomes less of an avenue for scoring.

I said it a couple of months ago and I will say it again.

We will know we are going places when the likes of Blair and Goldsack cannot get a game.

This. So much this.

Its not a slight on these guys, but if we can replace their best qualities with players who add more offensive hurt factor we will be well on the way to contention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once we are structured for maximum scoring efficiency - and this means quality ball coming into the forward line - the need for pressure acts, especially repeat pressure acts in the forward line goes down because we are scoring goals first up instead of tring to hold it in, and score from those pressure act opportunities. Still need pressure but it becomes less of an avenue for scoring.
^This! Hawthorn don't have or need manic forward pressure because they have multiple, spread out targets inside 50, which they hit up with accuracy time after time, rather than using the "sling enough mud" approach we have left over from the MM days. In fact if we could combine the two approaches, we'd be unstoppable.

^This! Hawthorn don't have or need manic forward pressure because they have multiple, spread out targets inside 50, which they hit up with accuracy time after time, rather than using the "sling enough mud" approach we have left over from the MM days. In fact if we could combine the two approaches, we'd be unstoppable.

You wanna hear something depressing? We were ranked 2nd in the league for marks inside 50.

...2nd in the league for marks inside 50.
I wonder how many of those are in the pocket where it's nigh impossible to score, and where we rank for accuracy from set shots (counting shanked out on the full, plus landing short and punched through by the opposition).

Yes Adams in in the team. Provided of course that he has a strong pre-season and trains hard then I think he needs to play. He is just getting into that peak zone as a player...but the concern is that he has played for a bottom team for so long so there are question marks as to how well he would've developed under that system.

We need to get him in and put another 20 games into him quickly. Then he should be readymade to replace Ball.

On Blair and Goldsack...I actually think both need to be in the side.

But as forwards purely. They bring more tackling pressure than any one else.

We don't have to model ourselves on Hawthorn. Our strength is when we put on immense forward pressure. Freo had one of the worst forward lines in the comp, but guys like Mayne, Walters and De Boer are fantastic defensive forwards.

Blair is a good crumber. In our premiership year he was a rookie and only got around 12 disposals a game. But he kicked a few goals and put on manic pressure. Goldsack also looked his best in 2012 when he was played a a defensive forward who kicks a goal or 2.

We have the goal-scoring power in Cloke, White, Fasolo and Elliott...and remember we get a lot of goals from our midfield. I think we just need a few hard nosed players up there whose mission is purely to tackle.

I think Blair is better than Puopolo, but Hawthorn fans would tell you that Puopolo was a key for them this year.

Yes Adams in in the team. Provided of course that he has a strong pre-season and trains hard then I think he needs to play. He is just getting into that peak zone as a player...but the concern is that he has played for a bottom team for so long so there are question marks as to how well he would've developed under that system.

We need to get him in and put another 20 games into him quickly. Then he should be readymade to replace Ball.

On Blair and Goldsack...I actually think both need to be in the side.

But as forwards purely. They bring more tackling pressure than any one else.

We don't have to model ourselves on Hawthorn. Our strength is when we put on immense forward pressure. Freo had one of the worst forward lines in the comp, but guys like Mayne, Walters and De Boer are fantastic defensive forwards.

Blair is a good crumber. In our premiership year he was a rookie and only got around 12 disposals a game. But he kicked a few goals and put on manic pressure. Goldsack also looked his best in 2012 when he was played a a defensive forward who kicks a goal or 2.

We have the goal-scoring power in Cloke, White, Fasolo and Elliott...and remember we get a lot of goals from our midfield. I think we just need a few hard nosed players up there whose mission is purely to tackle.

I think Blair is better than Puopolo, but Hawthorn fans would tell you that Puopolo was a key for them this year.

Spot On. Yes Adams still needs to have a Strong Pre-Season and Then good Intra-Club and Pre-Season Games to make sure he is in the best 22.

Bit of seen of him has shown he can play as a HF as he has good Finishing Skills in-front of Goal:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Is Adams in the Best 21 in 2014?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back