Is Andrew Lovett worth a late 1st rounder?

Remove this Banner Ad

The standard deviation of the draft quality over the past 8 years suggests that draft picks are pretty similar from year to year.

Some years pick 40 is worth more than pick 1

...that's was a thinly veiled swipe at Collingwood btw ;)

And there we have it, West Coast's version of Jason Laycock is worth pick 26 iyho :eek:
I don't think that's what I actually said.

I certainly didn't say, "he's worth x". My line throughout has been "a player is worth whatever another club is willing to offer in return".

Instead of making a coherent argument, you just distort those made by others. Poor effort.

If West Coast were talking to Richmond about Seaby, discussion would revolve around Richmond's pick 26. Do you disagree with this?

I didn't say it would be a straight swap. Nor did I say that both clubs would end being sufficiently happy that a deal would be done.

I don't think that's what I actually said.

I certainly didn't say, "he's worth x".

Poor effort.

Instead of making a coherent argument, you just distort those made by others.

If West Coast were talking to Richmond about Seaby, discussion would revolve around Richmond's pick 26. Do you disagree with this?

I didn't say it would be a straight swap.

Ok, you're West Coast Coast's List Manager, what would be the minimum you'd accept as compensation for Seaby?

And a second question, do you believe Seaby is better than Laycock?

Ok, you're West Coast Coast's List Manager, would what be the minimum you'd accept as compensation for Seaby?
It depends how desperate Seaby is to leave.

If he's happy to stay, I'd probably drive a harder bargain than if he was set on leaving.

I would package Seaby with pick 36 and try for the best upgrade possible. I'd say that pick 30 would be the minimum I'd accept if Seaby was determined to leave. I'd obviously be pushing for more than that.

And a second question, do you believe Seaby is better than Laycock?
Relevance?

I don't think Seaby is a star, but he's probably ahead of Laycock. It's not a point I feel passionately about.

Relevance?

I don't think Seaby is a star, but he's probably ahead of Laycock. It's not a point I feel passionately about.

Just that Laycock is heavily maligned and has had a disappointing season and Seaby's season has mirrored Laycock's (similar stats, but Laycock kicks a few more goals). You say a pick around 30 would be your asking price for Seaby and I personally think neither he or Laycock are worth anything better than a 4th or even 5th round pick.

Now there's Lovett...you're the List Manager of a side lacking pace and goal kickers, Lovett says "I wanna play at you're club bro"...you have pick x that you're willing to offer the Bombers. What is the value of x?

You say a pick around 30 would be your asking price for Seaby and I personally think neither he or Laycock are worth anything better than a 4th or even 5th round pick.
Given that I'd be packaging Seaby with 36 (did you miss that?), a pick around 30 in return is entirely reasonable.

I'd be pushing for more.

Now there's Lovett...you're the List Manager of a side lacking pace and goal kickers, Lovett says "I wanna play at you're club bro"...you have pick x that you're willing to offer the Bombers. What is the value of x?
What is the value of pick x?

Do you understand why that is a stupid question?

Given that I'd be packaging Seaby with 36 (did you miss that?), a pick around 30 in return is entirely reasonable.

I'd be pushing for more.

What is the value of pick x?

Do you understand why that is a stupid question?

I did miss that part. Richmond have 26, so an upgrade from 36 to 26 is what you're saying. Where did pick 30 come from?

And no I don't see why the question is stupid. It's a hypothetical situation with no club specified, hence I don't know what picks you have. Basically x is the maximum you'd offer for Lovett...

I did miss that part. Richmond have 26, so an upgrade from 36 to 26 is what you're saying. Where did pick 30 come from?
Pick 30 would be the minimum I would accept for Seaby and pick 36.

Provided Seaby could not be convinced to stay.

And no I don't see why the question is stupid. It's a hypothetical situation with no club specified, hence I don't know what picks you have. Basically x is the maximum you'd offer for Lovett...
The phrase "pick x" refers to a pick of indeterminant value.

Your question "what is the value of pick x" is self-defeating. There is no answer, because no-one knows what x represents.

If this were in person, I could talk slower, but typing slower doesn't have the same effect.
That's great.

But you're the one who asked the dumb question.

Being sarcastic won't conceal that.

"What is the value of pick x?"

Dumb question. By definition, its value is unknown. That's why it's call "pick x".

Maybe you need to read slower.

That's great.

Dumb question. By definition, its value is unknown. That's why it's call "pick x".

Dude, just answer the damn question. Stop avoiding it, or are you a professional politician?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's great.

Maybe I'm giving an idiot too much credit in thinking you're capable of answering a pretty simple question.

Pick x is any draft pick in you're possession that you're willing trade. You pulled pick 30 out of thin air before when discussing Seaby...are you capable of doing similar in a hypothetical trade for Lovett?

Pick x is any draft pick in you're possession that you're willing trade.
Well, is it pick 20 or pick 36 or pick 52?

All those picks are of different value.

You pulled pick 30 out of thin air before when discussing Seaby
It wasn't "out of thin air".

It was the minimum I would accept for Seaby and pick 36 provided Seaby was determined to leave.

I thought about it and drew a conclusion.

...are you capable of doing similar in a hypothetical trade for Lovett?
Doing what?

Suggesting a hypothetical trade for Lovett?

I wouldn't offer pick 20 for Lovett.

Pick 36, sure. But West Coast wouldn't want Lovett to begin with. Too much of a headcase.

See Gunnar, loinchop understood the question and also picked out that you're being a douche by avoiding giving an answer.
How did he demonstrate that he understood the question?

If you don't understand why the question "what is the value of pick x?" is stupid, then you're battling.

The value of "pick x", by definition, is unknown. That's why you use x instead of an actual number. Do you understand this?

And I'm not avoiding giving an answer. I'm just waiting for you to ask a question that isn't self-defeating.

You've really struggled in this thread, haven't you?

You started out by trying to be a smart-arse, but have just rolled yourself over and over by asking stupid questions.

imo Lovett is worth a third rounder. Where did anyone get the idea he was worth a first rounder? Deluded bomber supporters prehahps?

imo Lovett is worth a third rounder. Where did anyone get the idea he was worth a first rounder? Deluded bomber supporters prehahps?

im not sure what hes worth IMO probably a early second round, he is a game breaker

but that is seriously funny, if he was a Collingwood player pie fans would be screaming for a first round pick for him. Any player wearing black and white is rated 15% higher than their actual ability suggests. Dale Thomas is a good example, Pie, superstar, rest of the league, inconsistent flog with bad hair

So when are Essendon fans going to concede defeat on this one?

I'm not talking about reasonable Essendon fans - just the clueless ones who thought Lovett would fetch a first-rounder.

Yeah we overrate our players... but maybe you guys overrate how bad Didak's off field issues are/were. Especially when you compare them to this guy:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...over-exs-claims/2007/02/22/1171733950465.html

Violence towards women is worse than being drunk in a car no matter what angle you idiots put on it.

Both are dogs of blokes, don't try and talk up Didak's incident because he didn't abuse women. Both of them are dogs.

Typical Collingwood nuffie, "Didak didn't hit a women, so he's a good guy"

Flog.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Andrew Lovett worth a late 1st rounder?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back