Is Clarkson's time up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Your excuses are irritating and his coaching is pathetic....sick of seeing us underachieve and make no mistake we are going backwards. we're not talking about a couple of players no performing we are talking about a whole team and has been for some time now - fyi a coach is responsible for that.

Other clubs have a vested interest in us losing so take his comments as tongue in cheek

Whats with all these plans about the forward line...... it doesn't matter who you have down there if your midfield gets pantsed

This thread is a tad embarrassing.

I know it is a disappointing loss, and we all had high hopes, but damn. Calling for Clarko's head??

I didn't see today's game so can't make a call on that, though I would argue that it was always going to be tough after last week's belter of a game.
And I will echo Messenger on the curiousity of WC having a fade out in their second half... and looking kind of ordinary.. (Tho yes, they still got the biccies.. just)

But I would like to know what Clarko could've done differently in the WC game, judging on fitness & match time I don't think he had as much room to maneuver with the selection process as we'd like to think.. And with all the free kick clangers from Buddy, and Ozzy giving away free kicks under pressure in the last quarter that cost us opportunities.. what could he have done there?

What about in the Geelong loss?? Where we had all the opportunities in the world in that last qtr... but the players seemed to lose their shit, and just made clanger after clanger?
Did he tell Ozzie never to soccer off the ground, to take the time to pick ball up in goal square so the opposition team can tackle you?
Not spend enough time coaching Breust to kick set shots?
Or not work with Roughy enough on his marking??

Last year I thought he coached us through fantastically. Managed a lot of our weaknesses very well.. (and talk up our list a lot, but there are a fair few weaknesses in there) Though I will give you that he could surely have found a way for the boys to kick goals from relatively easy set shots by then.. and we would have been into the grand final.

My memory is pretty shit to cover anything before then.. but wasn't 2010 the year of the injury for us?? Where we widened our depth, as we had to play the majority of our youth cos near half the seniors were out with injuries??

Your excuses are irritating and his coaching is pathetic....sick of seeing us underachieve and make no mistake we are going backwards. we're not talking about a couple of players no performing we are talking about a whole team and has been for some time now - fyi a coach is responsible for that.

I dont recall making any excuses, simply stating the facts.

You lost to last years premiers (and your bogey team) by 2 points. If you kicked straight in the last quarter it would have been a win.

You lost to West Coast (a top 4 team) at Subiaco in a slog by 5 points.

You lost to Sydney the following week, in what was quite frankly a very disappointing 2nd half but thats footy.

Both West Coast and Sydney (2 of your losses) are undefeated and sitting on top of the AFL ladder.

There are no excuses in any of that, i am simply stating the facts of what has happened and if your conclusion is to sack the coach then you are being beyond harsh and quite reckless in your decision making imo.

There was no doubt you under achieved in '09 and '10 but last year things were back on track and there is nothing to suggest you have dropped off this year as of yet.

I dont recall making any excuses, simply stating the facts.

You lost to last years premiers (and your bogey team) by 2 points. If you kicked straight in the last quarter it would have been a win.

You lost to West Coast (a top 4 team) at Subiaco in a slog by 5 points.

You lost to Sydney the following week, in what was quite frankly a very disappointing 2nd half but thats footy.

Both West Coast and Sydney (2 of your losses) are undefeated and sitting on top of the AFL ladder.

There are no excuses in any of that, i am simply stating the facts of what has happened and if your conclusion is to sack the coach then you are being beyond harsh and quite reckless in your decision making imo.

There was no doubt you under achieved in '09 and '10 but last year things were back on track and there is nothing to suggest you have dropped off this year as of yet.

All fair points.

I love reading the airy fairy bloody supporters posts that accept mediocrity. Since 08 we have under achieved, big time. BUT
I'm happy for clarkson to have the rest of thus season to get this into the top 4 and at least a preliminary, if not, time HAS to be up.

And god help the club if the words, "transition" or "re build" come up.

It is too early to tell if Clarko's time is up after 5 rounds let's wait until the end of the season.

Problem is we gave him a 3 year deal (I thought 2 would have been more sensible) so if we did decide to move him on after this season it will cost us a lot of money.

Also he would know if he doesn't deliver in the next 3 years he is gone so i worry about what the state of our list will be at the end of his contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id give him to the end of the season, but we need nothing short of a grand final appearance and at least one win against the cats. A lot of peeps on here get on his defence when people call for him to go. But I would like to seariously ask the Clarko fans this - why cant he do something better with the best player in the league and at least make him a permanent forward? And also, why does he not use the sub rule in a more effective way? I think the hawks must have just run out of steam today, either that or they had a pool of cash on the swannies at 8/1 at one stage and they are out celebrating now!

Let me know what you think?

Most of you probably know what I think. I've been calling him out for the last two seasons.

I questioned why Clarkson would take the best forward we have, who has kicked 100 goals in a season, who loves playing forward and kicking goals and moving him away from the goals?

I question why Clarkson refuses to recruit a big bodied backman. He inherited Croad and thank goodness for that. We're constantly smashed by the oppositions big forwards. The answer that was given from the recruiting team is that the coaches don't believe the game is heading that way.

I question why does Clarkson continue to reward players that clearly have no future; also not dropping players that aren't contributing.

I question his match day coaching

So - should he go now?
You'll give him till the bye this year?
You'll give him till the end of the season?
Stick with him next year no matter what?

Silly post, over reaction. Were you questioning him when he delivered 18 wins last year?

We need old clarko back

The same clarko that had the playing list at Brighton beach at 4am following a Friday night loss

He's really lost that ruthlessness he had when he started
Remember when he dropped franklin in 2006?
Wouldnt mind him sending a message by dropping buddy for a couple of weeks

We needed to do a mini rebuild after 2008. Whether AC believed his own bs after the flag or external expectations got the best of him we didn't do it. We took the gamble to get another flag and didn't get there. Our list is poorly balanced. A new coach may be needed to do the rework - as I don't think the club or fans have the patience.

Yep this. If I were Buddy Franklin I would want a trade and wouldn't want to be playing under a coach who is trying to stifle my career. Who would want to be a once in a generation player playing under a coach who is trying to limit his influence on games? It's a ****ing farce and I am over it.

Happy to wear a card for this.
Piss off then and be over with it somewhere else!
Bad day out on many counts, doesnt mean the sky is falling. Trade mentality = uneducated porridge eater. yum yum.

Should I be addressing the one where we lost a Prelim by a kick?

We basically stopped and were overrun by the opposition in the last quarter in that game, too.

It's a trend that's been repeated again and again and again since 2008.
Teams know if they can keep in touch with us they are never truly out of the contest since we often fold like a deck of cards late in games when the pressure's on.

If an individual player was suffering from this then that would be one thing, but the entire team? Clearly a coaching issue thats gone un-addressed.

I was one of those who was extremely disappointed when the club reappointed him as coach.

We have under performed with on paper the best list in the AFL for too long!
Last year we made the finals but how many of those games did we actually win?

He is stubborn and refuses to make changes when everybody else can see there is a problem! Players are played out of position and not performing and no changes are being made.
He persists with players who are not delivering and selects so many players based on previous performances/their surname and not based on current form.

We have the most talented list by a mile, we just have a coach who is unaware how to get the best out of them.

Watching the way other teams play, they link up beautifully and look like a class act, they know they've got another bloke coming through to link up with. When we have the ball it just seems out players are so often left clueless and always looking desperately for an option rather than know they'll have a man running beside them to link up with.

I'm in full agreeance!

5 rounds in, we should be 5 zip.....let's face it, it's not like we've played any of the top teams, or like we can recover from 2-3. Clarkson is to blame, no doubt about it. He kicks the ball, he runs the wings, he selects the teams. The season is shot, and you're right on the money.

To continue the tone of your post

Clarkson also keeps Franklin anchored to the forward 50 to ensure we keep the opposing defences on their toes.
Clarkson also keeps Clinton Young in the frame.
Clarkson also knows KPD win you flags hence his insistence on trading and recruiting them.

Enough is enough, 4 years of shit and one close prelim loss against a wounded opponent is all you hang your hat on. With the list he has should have done much better.

We need old clarko back

The same clarko that had the playing list at Brighton beach at 4am following a Friday night loss

He's really lost that ruthlessness he had when he started
Remember when he dropped franklin in 2006?

How could you drop Buddy ? The guys being played out of position imo. Buddy should drop Clarko for a couple! :D

Yeah drop our best player who was in our best couple v Collingwood and Adelaide and who is being played shockingly out of position. Clarkson has made it very clear with several comments in the media that he doesn't want Buddy to win games off his own boot anymore. He has also made it very clear via his coaching tactics that he is going to stifle Lance Franklins natural ability. If I were Lance Franklin, I would be seriously considering my future if Al Clarkson remains coach.

To continue the tone of your post

Clarkson also keeps Franklin anchored to the forward 50 to ensure we keep the opposing defences on their toes.
Clarkson also keeps Clinton Young in the frame.
Clarkson also knows KPD win you flags hence his insistence on trading and recruiting them.

Enough is enough, 4 years of shit and one close prelim loss against a wounded opponent is all you hang your hat on. With the list he has should have done much better.

spot on mate...i think everyone is blinded by this premiership we won 4 YEARS AGO . What has he done since? We are going backwards and the sad reality is hawthorn supporters are believeing the pathetic excuses generated by themselves and lately the club. Look at the facts people and they all point to a team that has underperformed for years now.

Even if we do turn our win loss ratio around I couldnt care less because at the end of the day we arent good enough to beat the top teams now and when it counts.Clarko will NEVER get us to where we need to be because as someone stated his stubborn, persists with the wrong players and his coaching is obviously impacted by relationships within the club rather than being rutheless and demanding high standards ala Mick Malthouse. Oh ye and dont get me started on this joke of a gameplan that was never going to stand up in finals anyway, created by the mastermind himself.

His taken a punt on trading in players and giving away numerous high picks which IMO is never the way to go and unfortunately guys a combination of all the above is now starting to show....last year wasnt much better, we were masked by a good draw but when it came down to it, once again couldnt beat the teams that counted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Clarkson's time up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back