Is Damian Hardwick the right coach to lead Richmond forward ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the list is that bad, I think the gameplan, coaching, conditioning...etc is very bad. I reckon if we get a new coach he will have a bit to worth with.

IMO:
Rance - A Grade
Riewoldt - A Grade (gun player, always has a hand in scores)

At the moment neither Deledio or Martin are playing at A grade but they were last year.

Cotchin is no where near it and has been very overrated for the past couple of years.

Last edited:
Well maybe you can... lets have an in-depth look at the 11 wins...

The 11 Wins

St Kilda
St Kilda
Brisbane
Brisbane
Carlton
This is impressive stuff I must say so far...
Lets look at the others...

Port (when in a slump)
Eagles (when in a slump)
GWS (in the middle of a 6 game losing streak)
Essendon (late in the year when Bombers usually fall in a heap)
Adelaide (the best of the wins)
Swans (with nothing to play for and resting a number of key players)
Lol yeah they were all in a slump how lucky for us You could say that about any good side that ever loses to a team below it though, they must have been in a slump.

For the Richmond supporters, what's honestly happened to Cotchin??

He seemed an absolute gun in 2012 and I even remember a thread on the Tigers board dedicated to how good he is. Something along the lines of Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good footballer or something. He was 1 oppo player that I wanted so badly.
Watching him now, I swear I'm watching a different player. What has happened to him and what are the reasons??

For the Richmond supporters, what's honestly happened to Cotchin??

He seemed an absolute gun in 2012 and I even remember a thread on the Tigers board dedicated to how good he is. Something along the lines of Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good footballer or something. He was 1 oppo player that I wanted so badly.
Watching him now, I swear I'm watching a different player. What has happened to him and what are the reasons??

His form dropped away in 2013 after he injured his knee against Freo. Losing Shane Tuck at the same time meant he was forced into a far more inside role where he was constantly on the bottom of packs and couldn't utilise his outside run. He improved as the year went on and was pretty good in 2014, especially once Miles came into the side to fill that "bottom of the pack" void that was left by Tuck. His 2014 was pretty underrated.

This year it seems to be down to coaching. He's being used to link up a lot more this year (whether that's an instruction or just Trent looking for a cheapy I'm not sure) and constantly looks for dinky or sideways kicks rather than taking the game on like he did in 2012.

His form dropped away in 2013 after he injured his knee against Freo. Losing Shane Tuck at the same time meant he was forced into a far more inside role where he was constantly on the bottom of packs and couldn't utilise his outside run. He improved as the year went on and was pretty good in 2014, especially once Miles came into the side to fill that "bottom of the pack" void that was left by Tuck. His 2014 was pretty underrated.

This year it seems to be down to coaching. He's being used to link up a lot more this year (whether that's an instruction or just Trent looking for a cheapy I'm not sure) and constantly looks for dinky or sideways kicks rather than taking the game on like he did in 2012.
Cheers mate. Yeh I remember him taking the game on more and bursting out of the centre a bit. Doesn't seem to do that anymore. Hopefully he turns around soon.

Lol yeah they were all in a slump how lucky for us You could say that about any good side that ever loses to a team below it though, they must have been in a slump.

No the Adelaide win was a good one

But all the others were questionable

Do you seriously think Buddy & Kennedy etc would've missed Round 23 if they'd been playing for a home final?

Port had a 6 game streak where they lost 5 games and beat the Dees by 3 points... no surprises that you played Port then!

Do you seriously think Buddy & Kennedy etc would've missed Round 23 if they'd been playing for a home final?

Port had a 6 game streak where they lost 5 games and beat the Dees by 3 points... no surprises that you played Port then!
We weren't playing that good either. They could have easily beaten us that day if they played good. Is it our fault they didn't?
WCE were playing for a finals spot. Wet weather footy, over there.... Sydney over there is always tough. Adelaide in Adelaide. Bombers playing for finals....
You can only play what the opposition fields.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwoods turn to play their little leggies off.

Laughable, you act like teams get up for Richmond games more than others? Usually this is reserved for the best teams in the comp, what has Richmond actually achieved for you to have this ridiculous view?

I guess it's easier accepting this than realising how poor of a side your team actually is. I have 2 great mates who are Tiger supporters and I get as frustrated as any with their performances. I use to think you guys were rising but I've looked hard at your list for the past 2 years and realise there is so much deadwood and average players on it which will block any potential rise into the better clubs within the league.

Your list reminds me of Hawthorn 2010 (without the same number of top shelf A graders), Hawthorn drafted and recruited excellently to do a mini rebuild, Tigers need to make some really good decisions from here on in if they're to improve enough to compete at the top and I have my doubt this can happen.

Thats just life it happens to all teams and who knows which week it is a teams form turns around too hard to quantify things like that but we are the only team to ever come back from 3 out of 10 and make the finals so we must have some ability, my comment was made to a poster saying our list is shit but two finals and a run like that would have to say there is some promise there, I just think our problems lie in other areas more related to coaching and of course we like many teams are short on depth.

Laughable, you act like teams get up for Richmond games more than others? Usually this is reserved for the best teams in the comp, what has Richmond actually achieved for you to have this ridiculous view?

I guess it's easier accepting this than realising how poor of a side your team actually is. I have 2 great mates who are Tiger supporters and I get as frustrated as any with their performances. I use to think you guys were rising but I've looked hard at your list for the past 2 years and realise there is so much deadwood and average players on it which will block any potential rise into the better clubs within the league.

Your list reminds me of Hawthorn 2010 (without the same number of top shelf A graders), Hawthorn drafted and recruited excellently to do a mini rebuild, Tigers need to make some really good decisions from here on in if they're to improve enough to compete at the top and I have my doubt this can happen.
There is the big game factor when you play Richmond there is often a big crowd and the game often has a finals atmosphere as it is at th 'G teams will get up for that as its good experience for them.

There is the big game factor when you play Richmond there is often a big crowd and the game often has a finals atmosphere as it is at th 'G teams will get up for that as its good experience for them.

Because Collingwood don't experience this themselves most weeks...

It's a problem but having a heap of c graders in there starting 22 is an even bigger one.

Good to see someone understands the game. Whatever quality exists (and yes I agree there isn't a lot) is brought down by those at the other end of the spectrum. There is little depth.

Our forward line is also very concerning. Very! Our goals to inside 50 ratio is not good at all. We have a huge problem with our forward line. And Morris needs to go back to defense and mark up against the best small forward. His best year (which was very good) was as a defender. Put him back there FFS.

Cotchin isn't close, and if not for Murphy would be considered the worst captain in the league. Absolutely dreadful as a leader.

Disagree. Let down by everyone (and I mean everyone) around him. All the gun captains have strong leaders around them. They compliment each other.

Richmond have however stalled his development as a player. Two years ago he was an absolute gun. Easily in the top 10 players in the competition. Richmond make him captain when he's still developing as a player and due to lack of any other leaders, has had to sacrifice his own game to drag his mooching teammates to an appropriate level. Terrible decision in hindsight to make him captain at such a young age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back