Is Damian Hardwick the right coach to lead Richmond forward ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no urgency in Hardwick.
It's like he knows they're never gonna make it.

His press conferences are insincere and like he's just saying what he has to, to get by.

Do not rate.

Would sack.

Because he won't rip his players in public? That might make you feel better, but it's his relationship with the players that counts.

1/i didnt say we improved playing our youngest sides. i said hardwick cut an awful lot of those mid aged experienced players in his first and second yrs. the very same sort you think we shouldnt cut now because we will bottom out for too long. what rubbish. i do know we were very young in 2010 and 2011. we had structural holes everywhere and we did lack experience.hence we had a need to get some experienced players back in who cost little and gave the kids a chance to compete.
in 2010 in cutting them and playing mostly kids we won one more game than we did in 2009 with them. again that list of players cut at the end of 2009. bowden, brown, coughlan, hughes jonson, jon, pattison,pettifer, polak, putt, raines , richardson, schulz.all mature players bar three. with jon being the youngest at 21.
in 2011 we then cut collins, cousins, hislop,mcmahon, polo,simmonds tambling and thompson. and improved. we finished 12th winning 8 games.
we just cleaned out 21 players in two yrs and just two were younger than 23 yrs.we replaced em with mostly juniors.

dont tell me we cant cut middle players, we already did it once under hardwick and went slightly fwd in doing so. in 2011 well over half the list would have been juniors.
come 2012 we finished 12th again, but we won 10 games still tracking up despite cutting all those middling players.i actually think 2012 is the best we have played under hardwick despite missing finals.
its at the end of 2012 where i think things started to go wrong. thats another debate altogether.

2/ your kidding me arent ya. we do little else but beat up on weak sides we have for the last 3 yrs.we dont often beat top 8 sides and when we do theres usually a reason why.
so last yr we defeated
18th placed stkilda twice
16th placed gws twice.
15th placed brisbane twice.
13th placed carlton once.
10th placed adelaide once
9th placed wce once. the only team who had any sort of form when we played em was adelaide.
our remaining wins were sydney lthey had a rest last game of the yr, port at their worst for the yr and in a mini slump. essendon who were fast running out of steam again. thats beating up on weaker sides imo. how lucky were we we got stkilda twice, gws, and brisbane in that run of nine games. to then get the better sides out of sorts.

3/ no we havent been competetive when its counted we have been pantsed.

4/ sheesh i didnt say we were at the same stage as 2009. i actually said we have a reasonable core to build from. not sure what your arguing here.

any way we wont agree your too like richmond supporters. to blinkered to accept the reality of our situation.
that reality is we are a middling to bottom team.i would not be surprised in the least if we finish around 14th this yr. we will become mired near the bottom if we do not address the list needs and the off field problems quick smart. as it is we have to imo take a small step back, we cant succeed with so many ordinary players.

You basically want to keep all the guns and kids, and raze the rest. Oh, and keep Thomas who, while he knows no fear, is painfully slow in mind and body when we're crying out for speed.

NO! Not with the list he has now.

The list still needs work but it's in a good position.

The coaching (poor game day tactics, worst forward line structure in the league, poor ball movement), development of young players (in and out with little chance, sub, not played in best suited role), and team selection (old journeymen and duds favoured over talented kids) has been horrible.

Last edited:
There is a lot of chicken little in this thread. Funny, Essendon are rated as a good side on the up while Richmond and the bombers have won exactly the same amount of games in the last 24 months, Essendon has just done it with a list that is 10 years older. Thats not a dig at EFC but more on the RFC continually cops negative perception due to our poor 30 years.

Melbourne beat us as we were not on our game. Good on them but they have not gone past us, even a sane Melbourne supporters know that. The ones who think they have just need to read there posts at exactly the same time last year, what happens early on in a season does not normally carry through to the business end. The year is only 4 rounds old. No doubt RFC should not be as inconsistent as its showing in Hardwicks 6th year in charge but the reality is really simple. We have a good quality 22 that when there on are the eighth best side. Unfortunately we have zero depth but it will take a few years yet of smart recruiting to fix that.

Now I am going off to Necro a Thread that was slagging off the bombers done in 2011. I am sure that will be ok with the mods as this thread is.

You basically want to keep all the guns and kids, and raze the rest. Oh, and keep Thomas who, while he knows no fear, is painfully slow in mind and body when we're crying out for speed.
Thats fine Ron you have your opinon i have mine.
Its also okay if you wish to interpret the debate as the above, But you know deep down your just being defensive and selective. Its all good ive put up with this sort defensive mechanism for many yrs now.

I dont want to raze anything that would suggest burn down to the ground and start again. Ive said how many times now no one is talking about cutting 20 mature players in one go.
It wears a bit thin mate and is disingenuous of you to keep on throwing this sort of talk up.

Nope i just want to see us move on ordinary players, weather they be young mature or vets, and do it over a decent period.
You keep on denying we have lots of ordinary players who are mature.
Are you saying our juniors are the problem? maybe some but we wont know if we dont play em.
Or are you saying the top end are the problem? they arent good enough maybe? What the hell are you saying do nothing because those middle players arent really poor at all.

Thats the debate in a nut shell do nothing or do what is screaming at us to be done.

On Thomas. like some others im happy to keep him around while we build. As i have repeatedly said we cant cut 20 players in one yr.
Thomas meets a need imo. name one big inside mid we have. Look at the runts we rely on atm to try and win contested ball.
Thomas has come of two outstanding seasons. One basically in the sanfl where he won the margary medal. He then played 13 very decent games for us last yr.

In fact mature player or not, as a rookie pick we could not have asked for more.
I for one wanted nothing to do with him, but he has played okay for us and improved on anything he had dished up in the past.

We miss his big body, his c/ps, his ability to get his hands on the ball when theres heat on, His tackling and his clearances. All things you want the inside mids to do.
If we are slow dont blame Thomas, he certainly isnt there to provide speed. But i suppose that also is just too hard a thing to grasp for you.

Im not saying keep thomas find a better player and replace him. Thomas imo is required because there is no other of his type or type with his size.
Houli could be replaced when you look at the number of blokes who could play of hb. How many big inside mids do we have.

You do realise thomas was very good in the following at the club last yr.

Disposals - he ave 20 .4 equal 7th. So he found more than enough ball and more than most.
C/PS - Ave 9.3 3rd. He won more than enough ball. again more than most.
Clearances - Ave just under 4 3rd. Pretty good for an inside player whose role it is to dish it out yet he came 3rd.
Tackles - Ave just under 6 1st. Boy do we need a bloke who can tackle. Might make up for the soft pricks running around. He also blocked, ran straight lines and did a lot of the sml things to make it easier on the other mids.

Lastly this bloke last yr could be relied on to give 110% even when things were going bad.You cant say that of a lot of em.
You may scoff at Thomas, he may be slow, and he may turn the ball over at times, the above imo more than made up for those weaknesses. Is he one we should look to find an upgrade on. You betya but ATM HES A COMMODITY WE DONT HAVE.

Imo its a bit bit like shane tucks situation. Reckon Thomas stays until we find the big inside player to replace him. This situation is a thing called depth we dont have enough of each type on the list for a lot of positions. A bit like wanting to cut hamPson right now with only Maric capable of leading the ruck.

Any way like i said im out of this thread. Ive made what points i want and you can interpret them how ever you like.
I think most even handed people can certainly grasp where im coming from. Geez i even think going by posts a lot of people agree with me.

Last edited:
There is a lot of chicken little in this thread. Funny, Essendon are rated as a good side on the up while Richmond and the bombers have won exactly the same amount of games in the last 24 months, Essendon has just done it with a list that is 10 years older. Thats not a dig at EFC but more on the RFC continually cops negative perception due to our poor 30 years.

Melbourne beat us as we were not on our game. Good on them but they have not gone past us, even a sane Melbourne supporters know that. The ones who think they have just need to read there posts at exactly the same time last year, what happens early on in a season does not normally carry through to the business end. The year is only 4 rounds old. No doubt RFC should not be as inconsistent as its showing in Hardwicks 6th year in charge but the reality is really simple. We have a good quality 22 that when there on are the eighth best side. Unfortunately we have zero depth but it will take a few years yet of smart recruiting to fix that.

Now I am going off to Necro a Thread that was slagging off the bombers done in 2011. I am sure that will be ok with the mods as this thread is.
hmm chicken little. rather insulting to people who think for themselves and dont swallow hook line and sinker every bit of spin the club puts out.

hardly chicken littles here mate most of us have been saying this stuff for yrs now.

lol we have zero depth but our recruiting will fix it. your talking about the same recruiters who have had 10 yrs to build some depth.

didnt the dees beat us last yr as well. but hey i suppose we were out of sorts that day as well lol. or perhaps we just had dirty days last yr and this yr against the dogs.
maybe just maybe, we were never ever that far in front of these clubs to start with.

i really do think as a supporter group we keep looking back at where we have come from since 2010 but have forgot to keep an eye on what needs to be done to become a good side. a poster on your board said that., i thought it very apt.

yeah, those recruiters have been at the club 10 years o_O

Stop posting when your drunk
head of recruiting last time i looked is francis jackson. what does head of recruiting imply to you. he was at the club in 2005 as a part timer. thats important because in 2005 there was miller part time and jackson part time.. he was given the full time position of head recruiter in early 2006 on the back of his work in the 2005 draft.
yep francis has really achieved in 10 yrs and we have become a power house on the back of his picks. sorry mate but i wish i was drunk.

head of recruiting last time i looked is francis jackson. what does head of recruiting imply to you. he was at the club in 2005 as a part timer. thats important because in 2005 there was miller part time and jackson part time.. he was given the full time position of head recruiter in early 2006 on the back of his work in the 2005 draft.
yep francis has really achieved in 10 yrs and we have become a power house on the back of his picks. sorry mate but i wish i was drunk.

Please mate, if you think FJ is the only decision maker in regards to talent brought in, you know nothing about my football club. Anyway, done with it. Your posting is always so full of errors when it comes to the tigers, its laughable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please mate, if you think FJ is the only decision maker in regards to talent brought in, you know nothing about my football club. Anyway, done with it. Your posting is always so full of errors when it comes to the tigers, its laughable.
did i say theres only fj.i was speaking about the nd and thus jackson recieves all the info looks at the players in question ranks em and ultimately has the final say.
just where would you like the buck to stop when it comes to recruiting in the draft. we made him THE RECRUITING MANAGER . hes been there 10 yrs. any thinking supporter would be asking where are we at after 10 yrs what shape should the list be in after that sort of period.

im happy for you to bring up any errors i have posted in this or any where as long as its kept in context. im big enough to say hey i was wrong on that one. dont just make a broad statement and leave it.
i didnt realise the thread was a reason to come on try and discredit our fellow posters.

you know what even a paraletic drunk could decipher whats going on and whats happened.
i will never understand supporters like you.
it seems content with mediocrity, and defending god knows why to the very hilt, important club failings. its unbelievable.
why do you feel the need to defend fj and the clubs recruiting. its been poor in the main or do you disagree, if so put up a counter argument rather than just attack the poster.

dont get bitter with me just because you got caught out.
you come on here challenge my assertion that some recruiters have been there 10 yrs. do nothing to disprove it because you cant and call me a drunk in the process.
when caught out and shown to be wrong, you continue to play the man rather than being big enough to say your wrong.
its seems typical of some richmond posters always getting the back up at any hint of criticism. ive gotta tell ya bud, they deserve the criticism.

anyway please dont reply if your going to do nothing but play the man, or fail, even to put up a counter argument. Its a waste of my time.

Last edited:
Whoever's responsible for the recruitment of the soft players should be out. Don't think the game plan's too bad, and it can be nice on the eye....but some of those players are just SO soft. Especially the midfield brigade

You can't win a premiership without players who can go in hard

You can't just keep sacking coaches again and again.

The teams that have sacked the most coaches in the modern era are Melbourne / Carlton / Richmond, and collectively they've had the least success.

You create a working environment where you're set up to fail then that's inevitably what will happen..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back