Is Damian Hardwick the right coach to lead Richmond forward ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

They only just re-signed him didn't they?

Dimma has just stalled this team sadly.

However, you can bet the house they'll have a ripper second half of the year and the fans will piss in your pocket all off-season about how they are coming and how good their list is.

Classic house of cards

I was just starting to like you again Lance. :eek:

Even after last year and that great run I think we all knew where we were at after the Elimination Final. We all enjoyed the run last year - like the Kiwis in the Cricket World Cup, it was the time of our lives - and I believe it shows what we are capable of, but DH has reached his ceiling. For a good proportion of us that has been evident for a long time. Go back to the Richmond board from last year if you need confirmation. There are a good proportion who disagree too, and that's ok, but I think that number is dropping week by week.

A number of players need to be turned over, and we need the right coach. Who that is I am not sure, but we have to roll the dice again.

You can only work with what you have. The Richmond list isn't great, the recruiting over recent years has been ok at best, but the biggest hole I see in their team are on field leaders. Guys who'll die for the jumper. I don't see how you can pin that soley on Dim.

Correct. List falls away terribly after the first half dozen.

Then the players,

DELIST
Matthew Arnot
Jack Bachelor
Matt Dea
Nathan Gordon
Shaun Grigg
Shaun Hampson
Taylor Hunt
Kane Lambert
Sam Lloyd
Matt McDonough
Steven Morris
Ricky Petterd
Matthew Thomas

RETIRE
Chris Knights
Chris Newman
Nathan Foley

TRADE
Reece Conca
Tyrone Vickery

What are we left with? A very light football list. Not good enough after 6 years. Simply not good enough.

Highlights the lack of depth when so many of the delist section are playing firsts.

Clarkson started at Hawthorn in 2005, for 144 wins from 233 Games, and 3 Premierships
Brad Scott started at North in 2010, for 61 wins from 114 Games, 4 Finals, a Prelim and 2 finals wins
Hardwick started at Richmond in 2010, for 51 wins from 112 Games, for 2 Finals, and 0 finals wins

To find the next poorest coaching return in chronological order, it's down to the 11th longest serving current coach in Justin Leppitsch, and he began in 2014 with Brisbane, 7 wins from 22 games.

Let's leave Clarkson out of this as he is a standout. Leagues ahead of most. Hardwick's numbers stack up against Scott given the mass cleanout in the Tiger list when Hardwick started.

Hired at the same time as Scott with the club's in very similar situations list wise.

The North list in 2010 was nowhere near as bad as RFC's.

?

You beat us today in disposals, clearances, stoppages, I50's, contested possessions.
as a tiger supporter who for the last 15 yrs has thought we are no where near a premiership top 4 or god forbid a genuine top 8 side i can categorically state the following has nothing to do with sour grapes.im as critical as anyone of our team and with good reasons imo.

im interested to know what you thought of norths performance because imo they were poor. just less poor than us. imo if it had been almost any other side today you may well have lost.

its got to be a concern to lose in so many key areas against such an ordinary side.
what ive seen so far of your mob this yr you will struggle to make the 8. if you do it will be just making up the numbers.
in all bar two games including today you have been ordinary.
this thread may well be about hardwick and richmond but imo it could just as easily BECOME all about scott and nm. especially if you miss finals this yr.

both scott and hardwick may have started coaching in 2010. hardwick started with a list that has almost been totally turned over. fitzroy like comes to mind. thats where hardwick started from. unfortunately for us hardwick failed to see the rebuild thru. changing tack after just 3 yrs.

scott took over from laidley and had a finals list, arguably. they finished 3rd in 07, 7th in 08 and slid in 09. one thing for sure he had a half decent list to begin with in 2010. unlike hardwick.
i think its a fair question, has north improved under scott? have they done any better than what they did under laidley?

one thing for sure if i was a nm supporter even though you won today i couldnt be happy with that today. both sides were so poor in too many key areas.

as a tiger supporter who for the last 15 yrs has thought we are no where near a premiership top 4 or god forbid a genuine top 8 side i can categorically state the following has nothing to do with sour grapes.im as critical as anyone of our team and with good reasons imo.

im interested to know what you thought of norths performance because imo they were poor. just less poor than us. imo if it had been almost any other side today you may well have lost.

its got to be a concern to lose in so many key areas against such an ordinary side.
what ive seen so far of your mob this yr you will struggle to make the 8. if you do it will be just making up the numbers.
in all bar two games including today you have been ordinary.
this thread may well be about hardwick and richmond but imo it could just as easily BECOME all about scott and nm. especially if you miss finals this yr.

both scott and hardwick may have started coaching in 2010. hardwick started with a list that has almost been totally turned over. fitzroy like comes to mind. thats where hardwick started from. unfortunately for us hardwick failed to see the rebuild thru. changing tack after just 3 yrs.

scott took over from laidley and had a finals list, arguably. they finished 3rd in 07, 7th in 08 and slid in 09. one thing for sure he had a half decent list to begin with in 2010. unlike hardwick.
i think its a fair question, has north improved under scott? have they done any better than what they did under laidley?

one thing for sure if i was a nm supporter even though you won today i couldnt be happy with that today. both sides were so poor in too many key areas.
Can't disagree with that. We sucked today. We've gone backwards in many areas.
I'm not happy with where we're at right now, but 3-3 isn't too bad with winnable games coming up and a few best 22 players still to return from injury.
But this thread is not about us.

They only just re-signed him didn't they?

Dimma has just stalled this team sadly.

However, you can bet the house they'll have a ripper second half of the year and the fans will piss in your pocket all off-season about how they are coming and how good their list is.

Classic house of cards
hmm whats worse a ripper second half to the yr or a ripper first half only to fade away.classic house of cards maybe. just saying. anyway seems others have been there done that and its not worthy of discussion. as is your comments.
me i think our list is crap and have done for a long time.. you i wonder where you rate yours. or if you apply the same principals to both.

what i dont get is why you feel the need to lump all tiger supporters in the one boat.most on this thread agree with ya. yet the trolling goes on.make no mistake lance you troll. always posting in a way to get a negative reaction.

of course there are SOME supporters who will piss in your pocket and are cringe worthy, i understand that. im sure you have your share at essendon as well.
thing is imo theres an awful lot who understand exactly where the list is at and that goes for both clubs. all i ask is dont make generalisations about us supporters it really wears a bit thin.

The good thing for the Tigers is they have time on their side with their playing list.

Won't get near it this year, 2-4 and still to play Fremantle, Adelaide, Sydney and Port (away), Fremantle, Hawthorn, Collingwood x2, Essendon x2 and North (Melbourne).

That's 11 games where they'd be exceeding expectations to be 5-6. If they managed to do that, they'd be looking at 11-12 wins...

But get rid of a few of their senior players like Newman and Foley (neither are very good anymore), delist a few of the bottom players (Gordon, McDonough) and try to trade their way into the second round (should target first round but I think it'd be very hard to do with their list). A pick around 8-10, a couple of 20-30 picks and look to continue to develop the list.

Maybe it won't come under Hardwick. Guys like Riewoldt, Cotchin, Martin who have all had excellent seasons at some stage in their career (Riewoldt and Cotchin especially) have not ever been able to maintain that form. Maybe it is Hardwick, maybe it is the players themselves.

Nobody wants to come to Richmond, and who would blame them?
Free agents, and those marquee players shopping for new clubs don't consider weak and gutless teams like Richmond have been putting on-show. Play negative football, think negative football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do think the lack of "leadership" on the field is a big thing.

I may be wrong but Cotchin just doesn't seem the real vocal, aggressive, win-the-game-off-my-own-boot type of captain like say, Joel Selwood.

Of their other senior more experienced players:

Riewoldt is a sook, whose poor body language isn;t going to be encouraging anyone when the chips are down.

Newman and Foley are near the end of the road, suffering injuries etc...and just can't do the heavy lifting anymore.

Martin is a dope.

Most of the others are journeymen/recycled players who are probably still fitting into the club and/or concerned about their own place in the side.

so who are the go-to leaders when times get tough?

We got plenty of the ball but butchered it by foot. Very few of our kicks were to the advantage of the teammate.

Doesn't matter if you butcher it or kick accurately - your midfield chips the ball around and expects the next player in the chain to do the heavy work. Cotchin is the worst offender. He demands the ball and kicks it nowhere interesting.

I don't even know what Hardwick is trying to do or why

Like Carlton I think they put to much empathise on Martin, Cotchin and lids to make them a premier side. Ditto Carlton with Judd, Gibbs and Murphy. Team game footy not a couple blokes anymore

A serious question here...what exactly is the problem with Richmond?

How could they win 9 on the trot last year, yet now have that same list and gameplay rated as completely shite?

Is the list really that bad? Shouldn't it be peaking now? And haven't they won contested ball, disposals etc etc in all of their losses this year too?

It's hard to actually pinpoint how it's going wrong IMO. Could a Richmond supporter actually explain what they think the problem is and how so much has changed from the back end of last season?

From Collingwood's perspective, coming into this season I would've been shocked if we started a game favourites against Richmond in either game against them, but supposedly we are for the game this weekend. They've had years to rebuild and the list doesn't look that bad to me.

I do think the lack of "leadership" on the field is a big thing.

I may be wrong but Cotchin just doesn't seem the real vocal, aggressive, win-the-game-off-my-own-boot type of captain like say, Joel Selwood.

Of their other senior more experienced players:

Riewoldt is a sook, whose poor body language isn;t going to be encouraging anyone when the chips are down.

Newman and Foley are near the end of the road, suffering injuries etc...and just can't do the heavy lifting anymore.

Martin is a dope.

Most of the others are journeymen/recycled players who are probably still fitting into the club and/or concerned about their own place in the side.

so who are the go-to leaders when times get tough?

Said that earlier in this thread and elsewhere. The club has stalled the development of Cotchin by making him captain at such an early stage. He should have been concentrating on being the best player he could be (which was top handful a few years back). Instead they made him captain and he has had to put his focus on the team rather than himself. This has been magnified due to lack of leadership elsewhere.

I don't hold Cotchin to blame. He has been crucified by the club and by his leadership group (and I use that term very loosely).

Their list isn't crap like say a Carlton, just not a much depth with a lot of mediocre players making up the numbers, and some of their top end talent is a bit overrated on paper. Hardwick simply as to win against Collingwood next week.

Depth is very light on. Very. We can't cover one injury to one of our key players let alone a few.

A serious question here...what exactly is the problem with Richmond?

How could they win 9 on the trot last year, yet now have that same list and gameplay rated as completely shite?

Is the list really that bad? Shouldn't it be peaking now? And haven't they won contested ball, disposals etc etc in all of their losses this year too?

It's hard to actually pinpoint how it's going wrong IMO. Could a Richmond supporter actually explain what they think the problem is and how so much has changed from the back end of last season?

From Collingwood's perspective, coming into this season I would've been shocked if we started a game favourites against Richmond in either game against them, but supposedly we are for the game this weekend. They've had years to rebuild and the list doesn't look that bad to me.

It's the $64 question. Actually think we should beat Collingwood this week without having any confidence. If Hardwick can't get the players to respond in front of a sizeable crowd it'll be the first nail in his coffin IMO.

Their list isn't crap like say a Carlton, just not a much depth with a lot of mediocre players making up the numbers, and some of their top end talent is a bit overrated on paper. Hardwick simply as to win against Collingwood next week.

I think this is spot on. Hardwick is a poor coach imo....have been saying it since his first few years, he always lacked match day nouse. He stuffed up when he started trying to win games early with battlers rather than kids. The result is said battlers win you probably 3-4 more games in years 3 and 4 than you should and you get pick 10 instead of pick 3. This is after having our pick 2 shifted back to 6 when GC came in. Hardwick now continues to play battlers who are clearly below AFL standard instead of kids because he is now coaching for his life.

I hate seeing coaches go during the year but I would love a mid year sacking this time, allow a care taker to come in and play some kids with some dash. Then go to the draft/trade table and re stock.

Deledio, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Martin, Edwards, Rance, Griffiths, McIntosh, Vlaustin, Ellis, Corey Ellis, Astbury, Grimes, Houli, Lennon, Maric, Conca, Miles, McIntosh, McBean, McDonough, Elton.

The above is a list of names for guys who I think are talented enough to take us forward. You can pretty much chuck out the rest with the exception of a few recent draftees. It's not a bad building block for the next coach especially given we have plenty of cap space to bring in some FA's and also what looks like a top 8 pick again this year.

We could probably turn it around and become a competitive finals side, but what for? Would prefer to go backwards if it means going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back