Opinion Is father-son access going to heavily dictate the next decade of premiers?

Remove this Banner Ad

If it produced fully formed full forwards, the rule would still be unfair and pervert the objective of the draft.

As I have said before, explain this rule to an NFL GM and see how long it is before you get laughed out of the room.

Local footy clubs everywhere if you aren't that interested in professionalism.
I don't get why people try to compare our rules to other comps.

Seriously, if you like their rules better, go follow their comps.

The AFL is doing ok, go have a look at how many of the 18 teams have won premierships, 14 in 34 years, I doubt your other comps you love to compare has that strike rate.

Our rules are different because we are not them.

As much as I would love to have the Daicos boys, Darcy, Waterman, Ashcroft etc at the Cats, I think it would be wrong to see them in other colours.

Just seeing any Ablett in that GC monstrosity of a jumper hurt enough.
There has been some players that have been more successful once leaving their father son clubs as well.
J Daniher
J Kennedy
T Mitchell
to name a few.

The AFL is doing ok, go have a look at how many of the 18 teams have won premierships, 14 in 34 years, I doubt your other comps you love to compare has that strike rate.

Because they are fairer competitions. They invented the draft, we adopted a draft but keep adding qualifiers that negate the reason one has a draft.

And I can follow more than one competition.

The 34 years ropes in the period from 2000-2009 when we had:

• 16 teams in the competition
  • automatic priority picks for poor teams
  • every team make a preliminary final

Go from 2012 when GWS (and their concessions) came in, and the equalisation picture is less rosy. With 18 teams automatic priority picks (based on on-field performance and not bedroom performance) are even more needed.

Adelaide - no finals since 2017
Carlton - no GF this century
Essendon - no finals win in 20 years
Fremantle - no premierships, no prelim since 2015
North Melbourne - no finals since 2016
St Kilda - no prelim since 2010

All of those teams except Freo have finished last since 2010.

Teams finishing last from Port entering the comp (and there first prelim appearance after)

Melbourne 1997 (Prelim 1998)
Brisbane 1998 (Prelim 1999)
Collingwood 1999 (Prelim 2002)
St Kilda 2000 (Prelim 2004)
Fremantle 2001 (Prelim 2006)
Western Bulldogs 2003 (Prelim 2008)

I've excluded Carlton from that period because they didn't have the full draft capital due to their salary cap penalties.

There is no reasonable denial that the AFL has an equalisation problem and has had one for over a decade. The Father-Son rule only exacerbates that problem.

Because they are fairer competitions. They invented the draft, we adopted a draft but keep adding qualifiers that negate the reason one has a draft.

Go from 2012 when GWS (and their concessions) came in, and the equalisation picture is less rosy. With 18 teams automatic priority picks (based on on-field performance and not bedroom performance) are even more needed.

Teams finishing last from Port entering the comp (and there first prelim appearance after)

I've excluded Carlton from that period because they didn't have the full draft capital due to their salary cap penalties.

There is no reasonable denial that the AFL has an equalisation problem and has had one for over a decade. The Father-Son rule only exacerbates that problem.
Brisbane went from last in 2017 to a Premiership in 8 years.

What other national sporting competition has 10 of 18 teams in the same city/direct region and the vast majority of talent coming from that region?

The draft is not equitable unless you’re from the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All that needs to happen is that they again review how they get to a club.

Remove the discount in relation to matching a bid for starters.

And also add a rule where have to have a pick within say 10 picks (plus the rest) so if Daicos was bid on with pick 4, Pies need to use a pick 5-14 plus the additional to make up the value in points.

If it produced fully formed full forwards, the rule would still be unfair and pervert the objective of the draft.

As I have said before, explain this rule to an NFL GM and see how long it is before you get laughed out of the room.

Local footy clubs everywhere if you aren't that interested in professionalism.

Can I disagree with both of you?

We shouldn’t ape everything the NFL does, but there is no reason we can’t look at what they do well.

FWIW, I have no issue with father/son access, just the points discount.

What other national sporting competition has 10 of 18 teams in the same city/direct region and the vast majority of talent coming from that region?

The draft is not equitable unless you’re from the VFL.

Lot of PL teams in London. Because that's where the most football followers are.

It's a nice deflection.

There has been some players that have been more successful once leaving their father son clubs as well.
J Daniher
J Kennedy
T Mitchell
to name a few.
I reckon his old man played for Collingwood as well. So he got the success by going to his old man's club and leaving the one where his old man never played. The opposite of your theorem.

Lot of PL teams in London. Because that's where the most football followers are.

It's a nice deflection.

Doesn’t the EPL recruit a significant number of players from international regions? So much so that they had to introduce rules to ensure teams actually drafted players from the the UK. Terrible comparison.

Bit different from the vast majority of draftees coming from the VFL.

Doesn’t the EPL recruit a significant number of players from international regions? So much so that they had to introduce rules to ensure teams actually drafted players from the the UK. Terrible comparison.

Bit different from the vast majority of draftees coming from the VFL.
Almost zero academy players “make it” at their original clubs.

The fabric of the game would be lost forever without father sons.

I both disagree and agree to this. I do think the AFL does lose something special in the sporting world if they nixed father/sons, which is that link to amateur era and having certain families being keystones of a football club. However, the other side of the coin is right now, we're in an era where you cannot win anything without some form of concessions helping your grand final list build and we're seeing scenarios where successful teams are getting top 5 draft picks, i.e. Brisbane this year, Dogs getting Darcy, Collingwood Daicos.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Is father-son access going to heavily dictate the next decade of premiers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back