Is Gary Rohan the worst finals player of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Critiquing Rohan's performance by his disposal count makes as much sense as rating Close's game by his hitout numbers, it's not what he brings to the table.

This win was largely set up by Geelong's forward pressure: Stengle, Close, Miers Rohan. They're all great at it, but it's Rohan's specialty. By the third quarter, the Swans defenders seemed terrified anytime there was a ball in dispute in the area.

I'd encourage anyone who's looking for a really interesting read on AFL football to try Brandon Jack's autobiography. Not because it really has much detail about Rohan, but because it underlines Rohan's value in an AFL team. Because without saying it in so many words Brandon Jack really wanted to be the footballer that Gary Rohan is, he just couldn't kick well enough to make it happen. And when he was kicking around in the NEAFL, trying to get a look in with the senior team, he looked at gaudy disposal numbers with contempt, the only thing that mattered to him were pressure acts.
Gary Rohan "pressure" = 1 tackle and negative points according to Champion data who consider pressure in their scores.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Or Geelong have 16 or 17 very good players and then absolute list cloggers.

He does very well against poor teams and when the result doesnt matter. But his finals record is juat shocking.

How many votes for the GF in the B& F ? Least of all or was someone worse ?
By your logic we had 6 “list cloggers” on the ground on Saturday.

Pretty * awesome team to win a grand final by 80+ with 16 men.

Basically a match winner in their only close final v Pies. That contested pack mark he took in that final was up there with a Kernahan, Carey or Royce Hart finals moment. Converted beautifully to goal at crucial moment of match.
Well and truly deserved his premiership medallion.
Winners are grinners. Losers can suit themselves...

Gary Rohan "pressure" = 1 tackle and negative points according to Champion data who consider pressure in their scores.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Go on...?

How does Tom McCartin picking up the ball in the back pocket and simply retreating over the boundary line because of the inferred pressure (more than once) reflect in the Geelong forwards' champion data scores? Because it was that suffocating pressure they put on as a unit that put that seed of doubt in his mind.

Yeah but you’d expect a bit more from tall lead up 3rd forward in a GF

Unfortunately for Gary, he was well covered by swans defenders
2015: Brown (54), Eades (64)
2016: Clarke (63)
2017: Zerk-Thatcher (66)
2018: Gown (60)
2019: Cahill (56), Johnson (63)

Not all would be forwards but if you could get 93 goals in 4 seasons (including shortened games in 2020) from any of these would you be happy with that? As well as the odd good game in finals.

Lance Franklin.

Nah he's not so special we can't call him out for being a real ****in' plodder when it counted.
"One More!" said the press release... one more what? year? Of that rubbish?
Sucks to be Sydney Swans if that's what he's gonna be dishing up next season.

That's some trash finals series old BUDDYMAN played!

Lance Franklin.

Nah he's not so special we can't call him out for being a real *in' plodder when it counted.
"One More!" said the press release... one more what? year? Of that rubbish?
Sucks to be Sydney Swans if that's what he's gonna be dishing up next season.

That's some trash finals series old BUDDYMAN played!

He had a really good year, I don't think a couple of bad games invalidates that.

The main issue really is that the pace of the finals and the defensive pressure is probably too much for him now. He doesn't have the athletism anymore to pull off half the shit he used to. Thats just age though. But if he can help them get there again, that might be worth it alone.

He had a really good year, I don't think a couple of bad games invalidates that.

The main issue really is that the pace of the finals and the defensive pressure is probably too much for him now. He doesn't have the athletism anymore to pull off half the s**t he used to. Thats just age though. But if he can help them get there again, that might be worth it alone.
Agreed, great year. 50+ is an amazing effort at this stage of his career.
As per the thread though, he's played a few shocking finals now.

Sad seeing him cop the classic "Bronx Cheer" on the weekend.

The main issue really is that the pace of the finals and the defensive pressure is probably too much for him now. He doesn't have the athletism anymore to pull off half the s**t he used to. Thats just age though. But if he can help them get there again, that might be worth it alone.

His biggest issue is his inability to take overhead marks. He's good one on one but not an aerial threat.
Players who were blessed like him with great size and athleticism could move to a different position on the ground when they entered the twilight of their careers and they were always brilliant aerialists. Quinlan, Koutoufides, Richardson, probably a handful of others from much earlier era's.

I'm very surprised he has gone on another year. It's not good news for McDonald, Amartey and McLean who need game time. Feels more about memberships and $$$ than what is best for the team.

Stops the double teaming of Hawkins that made so many of his 2013-2018 finals a real struggle. Hawkins had 15 shots on goal across the PF/GF (all those 1v1 opportunities) and his only quiet game was when Rohan was adjudged best afield by the coaches.

5 goals and an assist (so 6 direct goal contributions) between the 3 finals is fine. The first of a few recruits who actually brought pace to a Geelong forward line that was previously one of the stodgiest I remembered.

I initially thought he played a stinker. I rewatched the grand final. He was in there pressure-wise in a few stoppages. Ran up to half back. Chased players with the ball. Maybe even unlucky with the high tackle near Swan's forward line. He's another target so Cameron, Hawkins and Stengle are able to spread. He missed a goal and his stats weren't great. Still - in retrospect - I thought the 4/10 score from most of the media was a bit harsh. I understand that some thought he was pathetic but you could choose to see it another way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anyone here knows what Rohan was instructed to do, feel free to share. Until then, I see a player who was applying pressure (I don't really care whether Champion Data's algorithm saw it), bringing the ball to ground, and ensuring at least one defender needed to account for him. I see no reason to believe those weren't exactly what he was tasked with doing and, as others have said, the fact that he keeps getting games suggests the coaching staff agree.

As an aside, anyone who suggests we had any list cloggers in the second half of the season clearly has no clue.

If anyone here knows what Rohan was instructed to do, feel free to share. Until then, I see a player who was applying pressure (I don't really care whether Champion Data's algorithm saw it), bringing the ball to ground, and ensuring at least one defender needed to account for him. I see no reason to believe those weren't exactly what he was tasked with doing and, as others have said, the fact that he keeps getting games suggests the coaching staff agree.

As an aside, anyone who suggests we had any list cloggers in the second half of the season clearly has no clue.

The exact same can be said about Castagna for us. It's not in the numbers made public through AFL stats...it's what the club deems critical for the role he plays. And the public will rarely if ever find out what those KPI's are.

His biggest issue is his inability to take overhead marks. He's good one on one but not an aerial threat.
Players who were blessed like him with great size and athleticism could move to a different position on the ground when they entered the twilight of their careers and they were always brilliant aerialists. Quinlan, Koutoufides, Richardson, probably a handful of others from much earlier era's.

I'm very surprised he has gone on another year. It's not good news for McDonald, Amartey and McLean who need game time. Feels more about memberships and $$$ than what is best for the team.
He doe's freakish things and has been a great player over a very long period. His inability to take overhead marks is a very big negative for your key position forward and his set shot kicking has never been that great.

Rohan said himself in one of the articles in the paper that his job was to mind Rampe.

I think Rohan just suffers from expectation and people judging a game from the stats sheet.

He was a top 10 draft pick and came with hype and people always cling to the initial expectations.

He has the physical characteristics to be Dangerfield but he is not so it leaves people disappointed.

If he was taken in the rookie draft no one would care about him.

gary rohan is a better finals player than some people on this website are posters

It's pretty funny to me how some people don't understand that if Stengle or Hawkins or Cameron is off the chain it's partly because the other forwards are keeping defenders away from them. I was at the game and Geelong deliberately plonked Rohan deep at full forward for much of the game where he took 2+ defenders away from the action a lot of the time. Hence Tom Hawkins repeatedly managing to get into one-on-one situations with plenty of space.

The stats also won't show things like Rohan managing to compete when the ball comes in to a pack of Swans and get the ball to ground. No stat but worth its weight in gold.

He also polled pretty well in the Gary Ayres medal - more votes than Stengle, for example.

The exact same can be said about Castagna for us. It's not in the numbers made public through AFL stats...it's what the club deems critical for the role he plays. And the public will rarely if ever find out what those KPI's are.

This may be true ... when you're winning, Castagna / Rohan are ultimate team men playing high energy / low possie roles

But when you're losing ... :poo:

He stopped Rampe playing off and getting 3rd man up on Hawkins etc . Some of his pressure acts were good . played his role

Is Gary Rohan the worst finals player of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back