Is it for the best if we have another defeat before the finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 8, 2007
Canberra
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've been thinking about this since last night's match. It's now Rd 19, we have a win/loss record of 15-3-1 and we've now won - what is it, 7 on the trot? - with our final 3 matches against the Bombers, Crows and then Hawks. Conceivably, we will start favourites in all 3 games and would be expected to win all 3.

However, do you think it might be best, from a team-management POV, to "engineer" a loss among that lot? Upsets may happen anyway of course, but if we were to drop one before the finals, then at least we wouldn't be coming into the finals having won 10 on the trot, and with the pressure building more and more each week for the enivetable defeat. I'd much rather lose in say rD 21 than in our Qual Final or (shudder) Prelim Final.

BTW, isn't it great to be sitting comfortably on top of the ladder, pondering these types of imponderable scenarios? (I recall the Saints and Cats were debating this sort of dilemma last season, when I was thinking to myself: lucky so&so's to be faced with such a problem!)

No? What a ridiculous idea. I'm pretty sure the players are well aware what losing a final means, without needing to lose a game to remind them. The sting of last year is still fresh in their minds, they'll be ready no matter what.

In theory no. You want to win every game.

But to be able to go into Round 22 against danger side Hawthorn, knowing its probably a dead rubber (assuming we beat Essendon and Adelaide), is an added bonus.

If we drop the last game of the year after seweing up top spot I'm not fussed. But we need to lock in the minor premiership first to ensure we have the best possible chance of winning the flag. Freo can still finish fourth and we want to be placed for that should it occur.

No losses please, especially against Hawthorn who we may still face in the finals, Essendon who I hate with a passion and Adelaide (see Essendon).

How would you ever know if losing would have been better than winning? It's a ridiculous argument, the same as 'peaking' and all this other crap. Collingwood aren't good enough to start flirting with form yet. Just go out there and continue to try and improve. Thats all we need to do. And believe me there is still improvement in the side.

We want to finish top, don't care how that'll likely match us against the Saints. Perfect for us.

Would like to get a week off into Pendelbury and Swan if possible, but win the first final and we get that.

So in summary, maintain the rage

No? What a ridiculous idea. I'm pretty sure the players are well aware what losing a final means, without needing to lose a game to remind them. The sting of last year is still fresh in their minds, they'll be ready no matter what.

Agree 100% we should NOT lose another game for the rest of the Season

Win the next 2 and give us the luxury of resting players in Round 22. Certainly not looking to lose any matches, but to get at least one match into Fraser, Medhurst, Wood etc would be nice in Round 22

Basically saying to Tank? why?

Maybe these next 2 games we can give a few of our players a rest ie. Reid, Sidebottom, Beams, Davis (maybe find some form in the vfl) and bring in a Blair, Lockyer, Medhurst even Josh Thomas see where we're at with a few minor changes.

No way.
Geelong kept on winning in 2007 and won Grand Final.
Same with Brisbane in 2001.
When you are hot, you should stay hot.
Essendon only lost one game for the season in 2000.
We should be trying to emulate the above instead of thinking about losing.

No way.
Geelong kept on winning in 2007 and won Grand Final.
Same with Brisbane in 2001.
When you are hot, you should stay hot.
Essendon only lost one game for the season in 2000.
We should be trying to emulate the above instead of thinking about losing.
Yeah, but Essendon in 2000 lost in about Rd 20 to the Dogs, and some were saying "it was the loss they had to have". It would have been remarkable for even that great team to go through the whole season undefeated.

Not saying we need to tank or anything like that, just worried that if we don't manage things properly we might regret it. Possibly time to play some of our VFL guys, who have been banging on the door, and rest some of our guns. If nothing else, it may re-generate and re-fresh the team (and give us even more selection-table headaches!)

We must carry this form to the finals and must win round 22 last year we lost to the dogs and didnt recover we just played shit footy in the finals. We must win our remaining 3 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously, NO.

I think this is where MM comes into his own, with his "critical" comments after each match, even if we as supporters think the side has played perfectly, MM seems to find an area we can improve in.

I still don't believe you learn more from a loss then a win, in fact if anything, our worst 2 games this year weren't even losses (Melbourne, win and draw), yet we would have learnt more about our weaknesses in those 2 games then any other.

We have to just keep performing at the highest level we can, no matter what.

Understand where the OP is coming from, though I don't think you'd ever 'engineer' a loss.

I think if there was a dead rubber, and you chose to rest a few key players with niggly injuries, and you happened to lose, then it wouldn't be the end of the world.

But not to make it happen for the sake of it.

We've met the St. Kilda and Geelong challanges. I wouldn't be concerned if we lost next week if we bounce back the following week. There is something to be said for momentum though.

I think the idea is that we should lose a game in order to ensure players remained switched on. This avoids the scenario of players having a week where they simply dont rock up mentally. But this kind of thing usually happens during the season. Come finals, there is no chance of us having a 'down' week mentally and it costing us a final, because the fact is that its the finals and the players will be brimming with adrenaline and enthusiasm (if this were to happen id be horrified because finals are the climax of the season and what everyone hopes for and bulds towards). So while I understand the idea, we definitely do not need to lose another game because IMO there is no danger of us or any other finals contenders having a 'down' week mentally come September.

Losing doesn't help anything.

The good thing is the ability to manage our list.

Last year Swan was spent come finals time....this year we can now give a week off to guys who are battered and in need of a rest, where previously they would play week in week out.

Heater has already missed a couple
Cloke had a 'self enforced' holiday.
Presti has been well managed.

This year our key players will hopefully be cherry ripe....

And we can now afford to 'rest' Ball, Jolly, Swan, Beams, Thomas or any player that may need an extra freshener before the finals.

The key thing is to not make wholesale changes, and replace like for like....which reflects our depth and if the player comes in and fills the role we should win anyway!

It isn't better to get a loss at any time. Our players are professional athletes, that train for 22 games plus finals, should the team be good enough to get there. If any players need a week off, Mick will rest them anyway as he wouldn't want to be a man down if someone gets injured. Losing will do nothing but put doubt in the minds of some of our players and damage their confidence when the game's there to be won. Play to win every game from here on in. If we win our first final, the guys get a week off anyway. Losing is losing. Winning is EVERYTHING. If you ain't first, You're last! It's time to SHAKE & BAKE!

Pretty sure this side wants to be undefeated for the rest of the season.

They lost finals to both St.Kilda and Geelong last year. That's all the motivation they should need, (if any) to hammer every side that 'dares set foot in front of them' (which is the attitude they should have).

Sick of teams coming in to games thinking they can beat us. This team should be aiming to earn a reputation more like Geelong's, where teams come into the game expecting a loss and barely put up a fight. Don't underestimate how many wins that gets them on their 'off' days (combined with playing many games at Skilled).

We have to play pretty much every side at their best, which gets annoying after a while.

If we're serious about a flag (and all indications are that they are) then we should be aiming for a straight sweep from now until September 25 (is that right?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it for the best if we have another defeat before the finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back