Is it NRL or rugby union for footy fans

Remove this Banner Ad

The guy that started this thread is a idiot,I have never met anyone so insecure about there sport AFL! so He has to have a dig at which codes better league or union ,give me a break will you.:rolleyes: To the bloke that started this thread go and give yourself a uppercut you fool.If only half of you fu..ckwits seen RL you wouldnt knock it the way you do ,I know which game I like, watching my first ever game of any code was AFL! but then I discovered Rugby League and I'll tell you what it sh1ts all over AFL,Union,Soccer.ALL PUT TOGETHER.:thumbsdown:

I think a few AFL players could play league, if they could pass. The big players so to speak, your hird, buckley voss harvey etc im sure would be excellent readers of the play n thus be good in the halves, along with obviously having a good kicking game. Don't know about their passing skills tho.

Some of the wuick AFL players would make grat fullbacks as well.

Barely any could play in the forwards tho, wrong build

Likeways some leaguies could certainly play afl. Inglis would be a star (even tho i think he's over rated as a league player), if most of the fullbacks could kick straight they'd be great (dont know dont usually see them kicking) Bowen would be a star in the Davey mould, I'd say Lockyer would be great as well.

Sorry mate, but you are looking at it with AFL eyes. RL is 50% attack and 50% defence. Unfortunately no AFL players have any kind of workrate to be effective in a league team. One or two tackles and they'd be gone. Sure they can kick the ball a mile, but there's more to the game than that.

Could you imagine relying on an AFL player work to get you out of trouble off your line, without kicking position away. Not to mention them defending on the line, gees, talk about turnstile.

Sorry mate, but you are looking at it with AFL eyes. RL is 50% attack and 50% defence. Unfortunately no AFL players have any kind of workrate to be effective in a league team. One or two tackles and they'd be gone. Sure they can kick the ball a mile, but there's more to the game than that.

Could you imagine relying on an AFL player work to get you out of trouble off your line, without kicking position away. Not to mention them defending on the line, gees, talk about turnstile.

A couple would be able to play on the wing or at fullback. They would need to learn how to tackle with there shoulder and bulk up a bit. Sure some would make it

Mate im a leaguie first and foremost
I dont know how they would go if they had to tackle, but im sure they'd use their natural talent n do different work etc to chnage build to help them defend better.
Half the backs in the NRL these days are turnstyles anyway :(

League is by far the more entertaining game.

The average Super 14 match of 80 mins only has 30 mins where the ball is actually in play. The other 50 mins is filled with fat forwards walking to scrums and line outs or watching a kicker kick for a penalty goal. On the weekend there was a Super 14 match with no tries scored at all. Alll points were scored from penalty goals (27 points to 12 - or 9 penalties to 4)

League requires a much higher level of fitness with the ball in play much more - I'd guess at at least 50 mins.

You can't compare this to soccer where I'd guess the ball is in play for around 80 of the 90 mins, or Aussie Rules where it is obviously 80 of 80 mins (at high intensity).

That's to do with conditioning, not talent. In the same way your average rugby league player would need an oxygen tent at 1/4 time if they played a game of footy.

Players are trained to do the job they are supposed to do. If they were trained to do another job they'd probably be half decent at it.

In the same way your average rugby league player would need an oxygen tent at 1/4 time if they played a game of footy.

Very unlikely, there was a study carried out earlier this year with players from all sports wearing tracking devices while they play the game. AFL players averaged 12kms a game and NRL players 10kms a game. NRL players have extremely high endurance, when you take into account the physicality of the game compared to AFL there's no comparison.

League beats rugby for me, but I reckon they need to do something about the ten-metre rule. It leads to too many individual dashes from the play-the-ball, which allows most AFL fans I know to claim that NRL football is too predictable. If that's what they think, that's how it must look to them. AFL has a different dynamic, but it's never predictable.

That's to do with conditioning, not talent. In the same way your average rugby league player would need an oxygen tent at 1/4 time if they played a game of footy.

Effective tackling is about technique my friend and 99% of AFL players haven't got it. Cover tackles, head-on tackles, ball and all tackles etc, no chance. They are arm grabbers.

Put them on the wing or fullback I doubt it, they would be isolated and have numbers run at them they would be exposed very quickly. Remember that American, Greg Smith, who played for Newcastle against Canterbury a couple of years ago. The Bulldogs exposed him and he was gone at half time never to be seen again.

Mate you assume RL players aren't fit, they are just as fit if not fitter than AFL players. The question should be are AFL players as fit as rugby league players???

Silly, silly boy. Was Goodes selected for Australia?

The game between Australia and South Africa was at U17 level.

We are still a while off any senior competition against the RSA, so obviously Goodes is not going to compete.

But who knows, many of today's stars played U18 International Rules against Ireland.

Keep an eye on these names, the best from the RSA tour:
Dangerfield, Cotchin, Ebert, Hartlett, Gaerter, Grimes, Maric, Ross

20070418011543665_3.jpg

The next Adam Goodes may have indeed played in South Africa.

And which of these South Africans might go on to get drafted in the AFL in future ....
Richard Phakedi, Brian Mitchell, Benjamain Motuba, Steven Matshane, Julian Horn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Effective tackling is about technique my friend and 99% of AFL players haven't got it. Cover tackles, head-on tackles, ball and all tackles etc, no chance. They are arm grabbers.

Spoken truely like someone who has never played AFL. The tackling in both codes is very very different. In league people run straight at you so you can set yourself to make a tackle, plus most of the time there is multiple teamates to help you lay the tackle. In AFL people are running in every direction but straight at you you rarely get any help making a tackle, you have to deal with getting sheparded and u cant just grab their legs like in league.

Don't mind 1908. Along with Le Kook he's a well known rugby troll who's insecure about his sport and hangs around here spouting inane pro-rugby propaganda. The mere mention of 'rugby', 'leeeague', 'Brisbane', 'NSW' or 'Queensland' is like the bat signal to them, they are here within seconds to defend their shitty code ;)

AFL clearly requires a higher level of fitness to play than either rugby or soccer. It takes more of a physical toll - AFL players experience more injuries than participants of any other code.

This is not only due to the ferocious intensity of the game, but also because the hits you take are of a more random nature and harder to brace for. Apart from being tackled from all angles there's also sheppards, shirtfronts, backing into a pack (see Tom Lonergan, Sam Newman), the 'accidental' punch to the back of the head in a spoiling attempt etc. In rugby apart from the ad nauseum front on tackle you only have to worry about getting scratched in the face and eyes or copping a few digits while under a pack ;)

And American football is far tougher than NRL.

How many KMs do league players run a game? They are maybe a bit more explosive, and obviously more powerful but they get alot of rest. In modern AFL, unless you have an oldschool full forward/full back, every position requires that you keep running.

RL showcases athletic talent more than footy does. By that I mean we'd be more amazed as we are by Goodes' or Judd's athletic ability if they were in the RL, but in terms of raw natural talent footy wins as there is no position you can put a guy in and excel just because he is big and strong or quick. Alot of the great 5/8s and halfbacks are very smart and naturally talented, and would excel at any ball sport anyway.

Don't mind 1908. Along with Le Kook he's a well known rugby troll who's insecure about his sport and hangs around here spouting inane pro-rugby propaganda. The mere mention of 'rugby', 'leeeague', 'Brisbane', 'NSW' or 'Queensland' is like the bat signal to them, they are here within seconds to defend their shitty code ;)

AFL clearly requires a higher level of fitness to play than either rugby or soccer. It takes more of a physical toll - AFL players experience more injuries than participants of any other code.

This is not only due to the ferocious intensity of the game, but also because the hits you take are of a more random nature and harder to brace for. Apart from being tackled from all angles there's also sheppards, shirtfronts, backing into a pack (see Tom Lonergan, Sam Newman), the 'accidental' punch to the back of the head in a spoiling attempt etc. In rugby apart from the ad nauseum front on tackle you only have to worry about getting scratched in the face and eyes or copping a few digits while under a pack ;)

And American football is far tougher than NRL.

Spot on Fred. This why Football is so great: it takes the best elements of all the other codes, and leaves out all the crap. It's full body contact like the Ugly codes and NFL, but without the braindead thuggish element. It's fast and skillful like soccer, but far tougher and without the excruciatingly defensive nature of that sport. It's the closest thing to perfection in the team-sports world...:thumbsu:

How many KMs do league players run a game? They are maybe a bit more explosive, and obviously more powerful but they get alot of rest. In modern AFL, unless you have an oldschool full forward/full back, every position requires that you keep running.

Along with all the running, what about the fact alot of RL players do 30 to 40 tackles a game?????????????

8 tackles is considered alot for one player in the inferior code, and that takes alot out of them and their doing all this "work" over about 2hours plus.

I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

Along with all the running, what about the fact alot of RL players do 30 to 40 tackles a game?????????????

8 tackles is considered alot for one player in the inferior code, and that takes alot out of them and their doing all this "work" over about 2hours plus.

I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

How many of those tackles are performed in tandem with at least one other person? The major difference is that in Loigue, the people are running at you, in Footy, they're actually trying to avoid you. Go figure, genius.

Not sure how a Footy fan can troll Thugby on a Footy forum?:confused:
You and I know that AFL is a better game but denigrating the northern codes causes retaliation from those fans of it who check this site for the merest mention of the sport, they then retaliate in kind and you have the whole escalation thing ad infinitum......now I no longer have to live in a state where it is played (excluding the Storm as its not like I ever hear much about them unless I watch CH9) I just ignore it.

You and I know that AFL is a better game but denigrating the northern codes causes retaliation from those fans of it who check this site for the merest mention of the sport, they then retaliate in kind and you have the whole escalation thing ad infinitum......now I no longer have to live in a state where it is played (excluding the Storm as its not like I ever hear much about them unless I watch CH9) I just ignore it.

Just laugh at it. I do. It's the funniest thing happening on BF. With every single post the thugby trolls makes themselves look even bigger fools. I totally enjoy laughing at them (not with them!) :D:D:D

wasn't this thread about which rugby code footy fans preferred....if any?

but i'll play along........

competitive wise, the nrl is every bit as exciting as the afl. the nrl don't get the same crowds, but its a bloody headache trying to put your tips in on a friday arvo.

the great thing to envy about rugby league (its not nrl in this case) is the state of origin. they've taken an australian rules concept and turned it into one of the greatest rivalries in world sport.

QLD 38 - NSW 37 - 2 draws - 6pts between them in 77 matches.

yawnion is just that........that bloody crap is tripe and i can't believe any footy follower would enjoy it. if you want to see 5'3" 120kg fatties hunched over with their hands on their hips for half a match, well that's your game. the rugby world cup is just as competitive as cricket, and even their top grade internationals are a joke. wales are bringing out a 2nd string side for the test, and the wallabies are resting key players too.

spare me "the game they play in heaven" sh1t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it NRL or rugby union for footy fans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back