Opinion Is Jack Macrae Overrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

In the centre of the ground at stoppages?
He does that very well, but overall as I've said earlier in this thread he heads to the back and sides of contests rather than powering through, which is the Dogs game plan. For that reason I'd have him just below the games very best mids and it's why I think this thread is silly, he's mostly rated exactly right.

You mean to be a handball option for his team mates? Not sure how this is a criticism.
It's a criticism because that extra possession slows down the ball movement and allows the opposition to zone back in defence. The elite midfielders burst out the front of stoppages. Macrae isn't in the same class as Petracca, Bont, Oliver, Cripps, Martin, Fyfe, Dangerfield.

The Dogs over utilise the ball, and nuffies get sucked in by their midfielders possession numbers. They would be a better team if Bont, Libba, Treloar and Bailey Smith were their primary mids. Unfortunately Macrae can't play in any other position, and Dunkley should have been traded when they had the chance.

It's a criticism because that extra possession slows down the ball movement and allows the opposition to zone back in defence. The elite midfielders burst out the front of stoppages. Macrae isn't in the same class as Petracca, Bont, Oliver, Cripps, Martin, Fyfe, Dangerfield.

The Dogs over utilise the ball, and nuffies get sucked in by their midfielders possession numbers. They would be a better team if Bont, Libba, Treloar and Bailey Smith were their primary mids. Unfortunately Macrae can't play in any other position, and Dunkley should have been traded when they had the chance.
go back and watch the prelim last year - most of the first ball out of the centre had Macrea's hand on it - Port could not stop him. If there was any chance at all to lever him out of the dogs, I would want the crows to be all over it as he would instantly make our side much better in the middle. Class quality player

go back and watch the prelim last year - most of the first ball out of the centre had Macrea's hand on it - Port could not stop him.
To be fair, they didn't really try to.
Port's preliminary final was the most timid and pathetic finals performance I've ever seen. Worse than their 2007 grand final IMO.

Do you think 16th for goal assists is a bad thing???
Nah just reckon he's over rated.
He's a good player. That's all.
He plays a shit brand of anti team footy where his first priority is his own stats.
This is partly why his team is doing so poorly.

Go and watch him play live and don't worry about the stats.
You'll see what I mean.

He plays a shit brand of anti team footy where his first priority is his own stats.

You'll see what I mean.

The whole team plays that style. Fabulous list - need a new coach.

You'll see what I mean.
He uses the pill well and gets involved in scoring chains tackles fairly well and is one of the most consistent players in the league. Is he a genuine match winner no but you don't have Bont without Macrae, you don't have Petracca without Oliver, You don't have Dusty without Cotchin, You don't have Fyfe without Mundy, you don't have Dangerfield without Selwood and you don't have Cripps without Walsh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a product of his environment. He does his job by executing the role he is given at an AA level.

If the environment changed he would do the new job by executing the new role he is given to the same AA level.

He is a very good player.

Macrae is quite heavily out of form right now and was towards the end of last season. It's the first time he's really faltered across a very consistent career since a short period in 2015.

However that does not make the premise of the thread, originally posted in 2021, correct.

Macrae is quite heavily out of form right now and was towards the end of last season. It's the first time he's really faltered across a very consistent career since a short period in 2015.

However that does not make the premise of the thread, originally posted in 2021, correct.
I disagree.

If Bont, Macrae and Smith are such "superstars" why is the Dogs midfield so s**t?

Seems contradictory.
There were times over the weekend where Bontempelli was in the ruck, and Macrae was playing deep forward to free up inside midfield minutes for...Caleb Daniel.

And therein lies your answer. One of the worst coaches in the league – he's still coasting on a great run they had in 2016, where in reality, he's wasted a list that should've nabbed another flag during that period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Is Jack Macrae Overrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back