Is Puopolo underrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Trust me it's harder to break into the Hawthorn team than it is the Carlton team. But many on here would have you believe it's the other way around.
How would Spangher go in place of Jamison, Rowe and White?

He has more flags than Jamison, let alone Roos.

Kreuzer towelled up McEvoy.

If Carlton had lost Suckling, we'd be balled out for keeping Puopolo who adds passable skill and decision making to Robinson's or even Armfield's games.

If Carlton had lost Suckling, we'd be balled out for keeping Puopolo who adds passable skill and decision making to Robinson's or even Armfield's games.
if any carlton player had even a quarter of the heart that Poppy has, then Blues wouldn't be the rabble they are now.

how many players are just as fast with 5 mins to go as they were at the opening bounce? i don't know how he does that. little bugger is like an energizer bunny. don't care how he's rated, always gives 100% and that's really all you can ever ask.

Poppy does draw high contact, but the calls of him "ducking" are well overplayed, he's about 4 foot tall and it's almost impossible to tackle him without getting him high if you're above 6ft.

I just have a small question for anyone that does not barrack for hawthorn. What is your opinion on paul puopolo?

Many people i have met say puopolo does no where near enough as he should do on the field. Much like rioli (apparently). Some have even said he isn't in the best 22 at hawthorn. The idea of this question came to me when i watched a highlights reel for his 2015 season and it was outstanding. So feel free to discuss

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2015-11-02/season-review-paul-puopolo
No, he is average at best

Poppy does draw high contact, but the calls of him "ducking" are well overplayed, he's about 4 foot tall and it's almost impossible to tackle him without getting him high if you're above 6ft.
Mate, good player but he ducks and drops at the knees a lot.

I just have a small question for anyone that does not barrack for hawthorn. What is your opinion on paul puopolo?

Many people i have met say puopolo does no where near enough as he should do on the field. Much like rioli (apparently). Some have even said he isn't in the best 22 at hawthorn. The idea of this question came to me when i watched a highlights reel for his 2015 season and it was outstanding. So feel free to discuss

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2015-11-02/season-review-paul-puopolo
Good player who does his job to perfection, overrated players don't win three consecutive premierships

Mate, good player but he ducks and drops at the knees a lot.
Well that's your opinion. I certainly think he doesn't duck half as much as people make out he does.

He gets quite a few legitimately high tackles around his neck, due to his size.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that's your opinion. I certainly think he doesn't duck half as much as people make out he does.

He gets quite a few legitimately high tackles around his neck, due to his size.

he doesn't "duck" really, but quite obviously he shrugs the shoulders and tries to draw the free. i dont know how hawks fans can deny this. when he's tackled with it without a handball option, his first instinct is to try and get high contact.

Used to think he was just a little shit with a bit of pace being carried by a great team but he's won me over more recently. Has added more strings to his bow than just tackling and pressure acts. I think he's rated where he deserves to be though.
I think he is too. It's an odd thread.

Don't kid yourselves bigfooty, he's been in Hawthorns 22 from day one he was at the club and is good all over the ground, hard as nails, elite acceleration and clean disposal, he'd easily make any team. Ellis hadn't been first 22 for years with us and was a walk in to the other grand finalists team, reality hurts.

Looks overrated if you compare to him to the other top small forwards. However, if you remember the role he fills and compare him to other small forwards who play primarily a defensive small forward role, then he holds his own very well against other players of like type.

I'd have him in our bottom 6 players probably, but that says more about how good the team has been over the last 3 years than being a big knock on Puopolo. Very few teams wouldn't be able to find a spot for him in their best 22.

Your right. I unreservedly retract my earlier statement. Puopolo wouldn't get a game at Carlton..........he kicks too many goals.

I think he's rated exactly where he should be - a solid contributor who does what's asked of him and does it well.

Very few rate him more highly than that, so he's hardly overrated.

He's also not in the league of Breust, Rioli, Betts, Wingard, Walters etc., so he's not really underrated either.

Anyway, for a bottom 6 player, he's pretty bloody handy!

We were looking everywhere for a defensive small forward until Puopolo proved himself there. Almost the perfect player for the role he plays. Would get a game at every club but isn't a star by any means.

This Hawthorn team is all about Clarkson and the leadership. Really, I put their success down to Clarkson, hodge , Mitchell and also throw cyril in there as of late. Gunston since 2013 has also been a pillar for them. Burgoyne to a lesser extent but still important. Those guys really set a strong foundation for the lesser likes like puopolo to shine.

The main man is Clarkson, he seems to get the most out of every player by working to their strengths, but also by bringing in the right players to play a role. He's a grand master. Seriously. He's the best coach to have ever done it. He's drafted well, traded well, developed exceptionally well, has been able to build a list, rejuvenate a list and keep a strong list together with few players looking for opportunity elsewhere while poaching some great talent himself. He's the little master.

Simple yet poignant.

The thing is, Hawks supporters are more critical of our players and endlessly question Clarko.

Its a strange thing.

I often wonder why Clarko does what he does. Suckling had a bad first half of the year but kept his spot. Hill got lazier and lazier as the season went on. Schoenmaker was in and out more than John Holmes.

Yet in the GF we had our best team and won easily.

And Poppy was an important part of that team. And as for skills, that lob kick to Gunston in the middle of 2 Coaster defenders was as elite a kick as we saw in the whole game.

So my money is on him being too old and too slow....

This Hawthorn team is all about Clarkson and the leadership. Really, I put their success down to Clarkson, hodge , Mitchell and also throw cyril in there as of late. Gunston since 2013 has also been a pillar for them. Burgoyne to a lesser extent but still important. Those guys really set a strong foundation for the lesser likes like puopolo to shine.

The main man is Clarkson, he seems to get the most out of every player by working to their strengths, but also by bringing in the right players to play a role. He's a grand master. Seriously. He's the best coach to have ever done it. He's drafted well, traded well, developed exceptionally well, has been able to build a list, rejuvenate a list and keep a strong list together with few players looking for opportunity elsewhere while poaching some great talent himself. He's the little master.
Thats actually a fair assessment and the exact thing ive been argueing over in the lions, cats, hawks dynisty royal rumble thread. The core behind the 2008 team is the same with interchangeable parts (role players). The major diffrence is 08 was much earlyer in our rebuild and we had a dream run with injuries the lack of depth cought up to us in 09/10 but as the list matured the team got better at managing its self to make sure we had ourbest 22 available when needed.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Puopolo underrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back