Roast St Kilda in no mans land

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t see this happening.
The president is all in on Ross who has in turn surrounded himself with his mates.
Handing over the keys to the club is very risky business …

View attachment 2038144
I agree, however the president cannot put his head in the sand. He needs to lead from the front and understand why his business is not performing, and if that's hearing messages he doesn't like, too bad.

I agree, however the president cannot put his head in the sand. He needs to lead from the front and understand why his business is not performing, and if that's hearing messages he doesn't like, too bad.

Well Steve Rosich lost his job at Freo hitching his star to Ross so its not hard to see the same happening here eventually.

A fair few assumptions - do you have the actual LGA make up of supporters ? If you cross referenced that Id possibly give this a gander but otherwise poor demography
There was an article in the Age I think awhile back, no longer available, that showed the suburbs with most members for each club. Since it was totals and not % of supporters, however, it skewed to the bigger clubs. It was about 10 years ago but clear geographical patterns emerged. Bulldogs and Saints were most localised, Pies and Tigers least.

Well, I'm Vietnamese & a passionate Hawks supporter.

I grew up in West Footscray (use to walk to Western Oval), back in the 80s. Chris the King was my primary school, in Braybrook, and Simon Madden was the PE teacher. Whole school barracked for Essendon (streamers, decorations and all) in the Grand Finals against the Hawks. Me and my brother, new to the sport, went against the grain and cheered for the Hawks.

The rest is history. Now living in Essendon (how ironic). A passionate Hawks supporter and member. PS: Bulldogs are my second team.

Honestly, the only anecdotal evidence I can put forward is that Carlton seems to have a fair number of supporters of Italian ancestry and that it Collingwood attracts its fair share of supporters of Greek ancestry. I personally haven't met many fans of Asian ancestry and the ones I have met have barracked for Geelong, Essendon, West Coast, Adelaide, and Hawthorn. I don't think the demographics of certain suburbs mean a whole lot. I'm of European origin and despite never having lived in or near Richmond, I barrack for the Tigers. My dad, who was from Ireland, never lived in Geelong after coming here but for whatever reason chose to barrack for the Cats. I'm not sure that other demographics would therefore make a choice based on the suburb they live in (none of the Asian supporters I've been mates with chose a team related to their geographic location).

Know a few Viets from the western suburbs who at least casually support the Bulldogs. I also see some older Asian men and even women in Bulldogs gear around Footscray, Sunshine etc, but I'm not sure how many regularly watch/follow games.

Was that after Tuohy went to the Cats?

I grew up in West Footscray (use to walk to Western Oval), back in the 80s. Chris the King was my primary school, in Braybrook, and Simon Madden was the PE teacher. Whole school barracked for Essendon (streamers, decorations and all) in the Grand Finals against the Hawks. Me and my brother, new to the sport, went against the grain and cheered for the Hawks.

The rest is history. Now living in Essendon (how ironic). A passionate Hawks supporter and member. PS: Bulldogs are my second team.

Yeah I suppose Essendon is the closest team to Footscray.

Dogs and North are my 'Melbourne teams'...the former because I've mostly lived in Footscray in my 11 years here.

There was an article in the Age I think awhile back, no longer available, that showed the suburbs with most members for each club. Since it was totals and not % of supporters, however, it skewed to the bigger clubs. It was about 10 years ago but clear geographical patterns emerged. Bulldogs and Saints were most localised, Pies and Tigers least.

Yeah I suppose Essendon is the closest team to Footscray.

Dogs and North are my 'Melbourne teams'...the former because I've mostly lived in Footscray in my 11 years here.
Yes, Bulldogs is my second team because of my connections to Footscray and the west.

I still much prefer the name Footscray Bulldogs than Western Bulldogs, but I suppose I got to move with the times.

If you're an immigrant kid you generally get to pick your own time because most of the time your folks are clueless about the game and there's no family tradition.

Know a few Viets from the western suburbs who at least casually support the Bulldogs. I also see some older Asian men and even women in Bulldogs gear around Footscray, Sunshine etc, but I'm not sure how many regularly watch/follow games.

Was that after Tuohy went to the Cats?
A few years before Tuohy was even at Carlton tbh.

It's nice to hear that your experience is different to mine though. I'm not in Footscray very often but I'm always struck by how much red, white and blue I see around the streets, in the shop fronts etc. when I'm there. It's got a bit of a parochial vibe (in a good way) so good to hear that some of the locals are getting round it.

Last edited:
It certainly wasn't what I expected of the club at the start of the season. But given we are where we are today, it seems like the best course of action.

It would be a very Saints Footy thing to do to win a bunch of pointless games and finish 10th. If we're going to bottom out, bottom out properly.
I think you've been much more defensive this season, over last. And struggling to score. Lyon appears somewhat happy with the results, comfortable with them.
And there doesn't seem much effort going into run and carry.

Me thinks its by design.

They're a drain on other clubs and the comp.

"The Age estimated St Kilda received $156 million across the decade 2012-21, the most of any Victorian club and $17 million more than the next (Western Bulldogs), with Brisbane ($160 million), Gold Coast ($198 million) and GWS ($203 million) getting the most help over that period"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're a drain on other clubs and the comp.

"The Age estimated St Kilda received $156 million across the decade 2012-21, the most of any Victorian club and $17 million more than the next (Western Bulldogs), with Brisbane ($160 million), Gold Coast ($198 million) and GWS ($203 million) getting the most help over that period"

How much do you think the AFL profited overall from having 9 games per week?

Some people are just genuinely so freaking dumb.

Obviously we need to add in football club to the census.

Would you believe I have some family connections in this area? But I suspect that said person will laugh at me and said person is a dirty swans supporter anyway so said person would likely cheat the stats just like they cheat the cap and steal Buddy from me
Are they data geeks?
Using Python to analyse the data prior displaying it via PowerBI?

I think they should look to relocate again, probably to Frankston, as their best bet would be to attempt to do what Geelong has been able to do on the other side of the bay. It’s a decades-long project but one that would be worth it if done right. Find the cheapest and easiest way to get Frankston Park to 15k and host two games there against small interstate sides. Take it from there. The outer south-east and the peninsula is an enormous area.

They should definitely relocate but not to Franger !!

Send them interstate where they can get be rid of the perpetual non-achiever status and start again.

They are and always will be a blight on the competition whilst they remain a Melbourne-based club.

The sooner the Saints face reality and invest in an Internal Review the better for all. There’s been ongoing criticism of players in these forums, however the real criticism should be levelled at the top.

Why is our game plan so negative, why has our midfield gone backwards, especially more so this year, etc.

Our players have become target practice week in week out by supporters, when they been attempting to carry out the plans instigated by our coaches and strategists.

We have a situation now where rumours are players want out and players don’t want to join the Saints. Why would they???

“The fish rots from the head”, and initiate and conduct an Internal Review now.

You are 100% about a review and that the fish rots from the head.

The problem is, this is not a recent phenomenon, this has been going on for decades and failing a miracle, there is no end in sight.

The onfield & coaching is an issue, the recruiting is lacklustre as is the player development. Behind the scenes, the Saints only recently got rid of Lethlean (what a terrible appointment that was) yet there is no-one putting their hand up to be the benign dictator and kick heads. There is no leadership and Í can't think of there ever being a really robust one who has got results.

This is the cultural issue that cannot be changed immediately, its ingrained an destined to be in the Saints DNA forever.

There is only one real solution left for them but they will never take it.

Yeah, probably.

On Billings though, FWIW, I went to the footy once a few years ago with a mate to see Carlton play. They played St Kilda that day. Billings kicked 5 and had 35 touches or something.
I think he kicked 6 or 7 another time to win a game once too.

Funnily enough I attended this game as a neutral as well, alongside a Carlton mate.

Billings was pure class and the best player on the ground by a long way that day.

From mid 60s to early 70s they were a growing and vigorous club. Full of charasmatic players under a zealous and willing to transgress coach. A burgeoning local supporter base turned Moorabbin into a daunting away prospect even for top teams. The animal cage was, oddly, peopled by middle age professionals and catholics, not your expected rogues, and they were, let's say, vocal and colourful after a few cans. Robbie Muir had his wing, and the crowd really revved him up. Carl also was inspired by the stand wing audience Arryan cries. The golden era.

I won't mention the Saints Social Club. The ol' monniker for it was that you'll remember walking in but not so leaving. I remember sleeping in the telephone box across from the station one evening with Murph waiting for the first train of the morning.

Then the 12 cents in the dollar era.

Then some GF tragedy.

Then now.

A terrif club with a vivid history.

Nothing lasts forever. They should own south east bay area. But no.
Who needs this history when you can have plastic, milquetoast clubs like the Camry crows?

Yes, Bulldogs is my second team because of my connections to Footscray and the west.

I still much prefer the name Footscray Bulldogs than Western Bulldogs, but I suppose I got to move with the times.
Definitely prefer the name Footscray Bulldogs. Footscray as a suburb is also coming up, though that reputation does persist with many.

A few years before Tuohy was even at Carlton tbh.

It's nice to hear that your experience is different to mine though. I'm not in Footscray very often but I'm always struck by how much red, white and blue I see around the streets, in the shop fronts etc. when I'm there. It's got a bit of a parochial vibe (in a good way) so good to hear that some of the locals are getting round it.
Yes they went nuts before and after the 2016 grand final, I got pretty caught up in it living there at the time, it's a big part of the identity there. I go to Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood, North Melbourne, St Kilda etc and I don't see anything.

dont know why people are posting membership figures or whatever else considering clubs fudge those numbers extremely hard.

anybody who has lived in melbourne for an extended period of time could tell you north and melbourne are by far the two smallest clubs.
In terms of home games at Marvel against smaller clubs, North, Bulldogs and St Kilda are about equal. I've been to some where it barely cracked 20k. Bulldogs Eagles at Marvel is sometimes 25-30% Eagles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back