Is the AFL telling Umpires to favour Brisbane and GC?

Remove this Banner Ad

Raleigh98

Debutant
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Everton; Rotherham United
Watched both games so far today. Although Fremantle and Hawthorn weren't great, and perhaps both deserved to lose in many respects, but the umpires have been seriously favouring both Brisbane and Gold Coast. I wonder if it is the individual umpires feeling sorry for them or does it go further than that.

Do you guys agree?

Watched both games so far today. Although Fremantle and Hawthorn weren't great, and perhaps both deserved to lose in many respects, but the umpires have been seriously favouring both Brisbane and Gold Coast. I wonder if it is the individual umpires feeling sorry for them or does it go further than that.

Do you guys agree?
Yep spot on. Solid thread.

Do you guys agree?
Hawks were not hard done by at all.
Umps may have paid a few soft ones to brisbane, but not 7 goals worth.

Only watching both games on my phone in-between doing other things so haven't watched too hard. GC and Hawthorn were 15 frees a piece, any incidents that make you feel the umpires favouring GC in this game?

Do you guys agree?

I feel sorry for you for thinking up and making this thread.

Most umpires are just incompetent. Simples.
Not quite true, the AFL just alters and tweaks and adds new layers to so many rules that the grey area is so large.

Inconsistencies in rule application is only natural given this.
The AFL's rules committee is the root cause.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only watching both games on my phone in-between doing other things so haven't watched too hard. GC and Hawthorn were 15 frees a piece, any incidents that make you feel the umpires favouring GC in this game?

In the second quarter, there were certainly a few. There were a couple of holding the ball decisions that were completely inconsistent with each other, as well as a missed arm chop for Hawthorn, all would have resulted in goals. Certainly more strange umpiring in the Brisbane game going on right now though.

I wouldn't say that they're being favoured, however, i thought it was common knowledge that umpires are generally easier on the cellar dwellers (more one to dispose of it, etc)

Perhaps it's for another thread, but clearly Roughead has had enough of razor ray. Gave him an absolute earful for at least 5 minutes after he ignored a series of frees that even the most biased anti-Hawks could see

Peter Wright not being paid a clear mark 15 metres out right in front was a very bewildering decision. I didn't like the 50m call on Brand but it was there and he had been warned.

I liked the one where players from both sides stopped because it was deadset htb and the ump called play on

It's a difficult game to umpire and I wouldn't do it for all the money in the world - how many other games are there that the rules are open to interpretation

I wouldn't say that they're being favoured, however, i thought it was common knowledge that umpires are generally easier on the cellar dwellers (more one to dispose of it, etc)

Perhaps it's for another thread, but clearly Roughead has had enough of razor ray. Gave him an absolute earful for at least 5 minutes after he ignored a series of frees that even the most biased anti-Hawks could see

What a load of crap but x 10 for throwing in the ''common knowledge'' part to support your own bias. Here's the free-kick season differential from the last 3 years:

Top 4 (2/4 & +75)
WB +112
Syd - 50
Gee - 41
GWS + 54

Bottom 4 (1/4 & -31)
Ess +34
Bris - 22
Fre -12
GCS - 31

Top 4 (3/4 & +103)
Haw + 18
WCE + 85
Fre - 53
Nth + 53

Bottom 4 (2/4 & -10)
Carl +15
Bris - 32
GCS + 36
Ess - 29

Top 4 (3/4 & +32)
Haw + 11
Syd + 22
Port - 6
Nth + 5

Bottom 4 (1/4 & -67)
StK - 31
Melb + 9
GWS - 31
Bris - 14

So in the past 3 seasons the ''cellar dwellers'' have been on the positive side of the free kick count 4/12 times for a combined -108 differential whilst the top 4 have been the benefactors 8/12 by an aggregated 210 frees.

What a load of crap but x 10 for throwing in the ''common knowledge'' part to support your own bias. Here's the free-kick season differential from the last 3 years:

Top 4 (2/4 & +75)
WB +112
Syd - 50
Gee - 41
GWS + 54

Bottom 4 (1/4 & -31)
Ess +34
Bris - 22
Fre -12
GCS - 31

Top 4 (3/4 & +103)
Haw + 18
WCE + 85
Fre - 53
Nth + 53

Bottom 4 (2/4 & -10)
Carl +15
Bris - 32
GCS + 36
Ess - 29

Top 4 (3/4 & +32)
Haw + 11
Syd + 22
Port - 6
Nth + 5

Bottom 4 (1/4 & -67)
StK - 31
Melb + 9
GWS - 31
Bris - 14

So in the past 3 seasons the ''cellar dwellers'' have been on the positive side of the free kick count 4/12 times for a combined -108 differential whilst the top 4 have been the benefactors 8/12 by an aggregated 210 frees.
Need to adjust for number of possessions/tackles/etc

Do you guys agree?

How can you undertake that logical exercise and possibly leave out richmond?

I struggle to comprehend a game this season whereby umpire intervention handed greater momentum to a single club.

Umpiring is putrid right across the board. The game has waaaay too many grey areas and too many differing interpretations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the AFL telling Umpires to favour Brisbane and GC?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back