Dec 4, 2008
CrowLand
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sydney, Sturt
Best Players:
Adelaide: Vince, Goodwin, Johncock, Edwards, Shirley, Tippett, Porplyzia

Does Goodwin get in the best players JUST because he plays and gets a touch?? I bet if he wasn't even playing, he'd somehow get in the best players. :confused: He must do some good stuff behind play because I do not know how he got in the best players tonight.
And don't get me started on Edwards being in there...VERY bad way to end a terrific year...

Best Players:
Adelaide: Vince, Goodwin, Johncock, Edwards, Shirley, Tippett, Porplyzia

Does Goodwin get in the best players JUST because he plays and gets a touch?? I bet if he wasn't even playing, he'd somehow get in the best players. :confused: He must do some good stuff behind play because I do not know how he got in the best players tonight.
And don't get me started on Edwards being in there...VERY bad way to end a terrific year...

Shirley shouldn't be in there either.

Mackay had a cracker of a game I thought he should have gotten there ahead of Goodwin, Edwards and Shirley.

Was Porplyzia really that good? It may just be my incredibly high expectations for him, but he seemed to make plenty of costly kicking errors, particularly early on.

And Shirley, really?

Edwards was awful tonight, as was McLeod.

Players in our squad, no matter what age, need to be judged on their finals performances.

Porps is another minor round wiz whose finals efforts (to date) have been very ordinary.

Was Porplyzia really that good? It may just be my incredibly high expectations for him, but he seemed to make plenty of costly kicking errors, particularly early on.

And Shirley, really?
I thought Porps was, for the most part, very good and should be in the best players.
Easy to say now, but ditching Douglas for Shirley was a mistake.

Goodwin and Edwards could have been in it...if you needed to pick a top 6, but clearly the most staggering one is no Mackay.

Goodwin thoroughly deserved to be amongst the best players. His only indiscretion was the 50m penalty in the first quarter.

Edwards had a shocker, no way he should have made the list.

Porps did naff all until the last 5 min of the 3rd term. He was very good during the final term. I wouldn't have had him in my best players list though, because he was completely MIA until just before 3 quarter time.

I'd love to know how Mackay & Otten missed out on the best players list though.

AFL website just put up their ratings,
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/84643/default.aspx
here's just a few:
Simon Goodwin – 8
Gave away a 50m penalty that led to Collingwood's first goal, but the skipper was dominant when breaking from defence. Stopped anything that tried to get past him, too. Spent some time in the midfield when the game was in the balance.

Tyson Edwards – 7
Found plenty of the ball and bobbed up when his side needed him most. Finished with 29 possessions, including five clearances, and generated plenty of run from half-back.

Robert Shirley – 6
Coming into the side for Richard Douglas, he shared the tagging roles with Michael Doughty. Did a reasonable job on a range of opponents.

Graham Johncock – 6
Did a brilliant job blanketing Leon Davis and had seven rebounds from the defensive 50. Was particularly important in the first quarter.

David Mackay – 7
Drew attention with his run and carry on the wings. Was able to split from the packs with great effect as the Crows utilised his blistering pace to set up attacks.

So Mackay gets 7/10, Shirley & Stiffy 6/10 - yet they make the best players and Mackay doesn't.
Sure, makes sense :rolleyes::confused:

Mackay and Otten not being there is a joke. Stevens too.

During that 3rd Quarter surge by Collingwood I can't remember how many times I said "thank god for Otten" or "gee Stevens did well." The defence was under INCREDIBLE pressure and those boys (along with Truck) kept it together when it could've fallen apart. Thankfully the midfield lifted their game towards the end.

Mackay's class was brilliant tonight. The kid is just about ready to have a REAL impact at this level. The combo of Mackay and Dangerfield next season could be scary.

Presumably the best players in the match report were chosen by a different person than the author of the article you've quoted.

That said, I have no idea how they gave Edwards a 7. 4 maybe?

I'd give Mackay an 8 - he really was good out there tonight.

Stiffy deserved better than a 6 too.

Shirley's rating is probably about right - hard for us to provide an objective rating when we don't know who he was on at any given point in time & thus what impact he had on stopping their prime movers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought David Mackay would of had to be very close to BOGG, played fantastic, I like the way we went about in contested situations. Him and Thompson were great for you tonight.

Yeah quite frankly: Vince, Johncock, Mackay, daylight, maybe Tippett, Goodwin, Otten... I dunno, some pretty poor efforts from some pretty experienced players, coughburcoughtoncough, Edwards(and I've been one of his biggest fans since we first drafted him) was dissapointing, wasted the ball far too often when we needed someone with his composure/balance to hit the correct target and Stevens, I'm sorry, did some good early, but just looked lost when he had the footy and all at sea when the pressure was on, Symes was similar, both slow and really lacked the composure and class needed in a crunch game under pressure, bring in Davis, bring in Sloane. Both good depth players, give their all, but I think we have far younger and longer term, far better options.

Guys, don't pay any attention to those things, they are based on stats and stats alone. Troy Chaplin had probably his (or anyone's) worst game ever against the Roos in Round 22 but he got in the best players because he took plenty of cheap marks on half back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the AFL website serious??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back