Is the Judd trade responsible for the state of the WCE list?

Remove this Banner Ad

In not very long Luke Shuey and Scott Selwood look likely to also serve 10 years as Victorian recruits. You also omit players like Shannon Hurn and Beau Waters - this discussion is about interstaters as a whole, not just Victorians. It is true we are gun-shy recently with regards to selecting interstate players with our mid draft picks - but I'd argue our development is somewhat lacking too.

I did notice that Shannon Hurn and Beau Waters and Sam Butler are from SA. I did specifically Mentioned Wirrapanda, The older Selwood and Braun simply because those 3 have spent their career at the Eagles and retired at that club as well.

Hurn, Waters and Butler are still playing and have not retired yet. Still if any of those players were Targeted by the Crows or Port it would likely be Hurn as he is the only one that has not had an injury plagued career unlike Waters and Butler.

I did notice that Shannon Hurn and Beau Waters and Sam Butler are from SA. I did specifically Mentioned Wirrapanda, The older Selwood and Braun simply because those 3 have spent their career at the Eagles and retired at that club as well.

Hurn, Waters and Butler are still playing and have not retired yet. Still if any of those players were Targeted by the Crows or Port it would likely be Hurn as he is the only one that has not had an injury plagued career unlike Waters and Butler.

Beau Waters was AA, played in a premiership and despite his somewhat mediocre disposal skills you could never question his courage and willingness to actually give a stuff about the team. Future captain but never will be because of those injuries.

But anyway, I don't disagree with any of that or with Reaper's initial premise. I am hopeful that our recent draft crop can succeed but I'm not that optimistic tbh.

Freo also chose Morabito over Fyfe.

People like to pretend they are psychic around these parts when the reality was at the time Fyfe was not rated as a top 10 pick.
What's wrong with Morabito? His debut season was better than anything Sheppard has produced and was on par with Fyfe prior to knee injury.

Sheppard isn't even that bad, and this year he's not been the worst by a long shot. The problem is that he was pick 7 and he hasn't lived up to it so far. As every footy fan knows, a top 10 pick or even pick 1 is never a surefire guarantee of a future gun.
On a superficial level, West Coast's use of first round draft picks isn't even that bad - they've retained every player they've drafted with their first pick (aside from Murray Newman) since 2006. That's a better hit rate than just about every other club. It's just that aside from Naitanui none of them are match winners.

What's wrong with Morabito? His debut season was better than anything Sheppard has produced and was on par with Fyfe prior to knee injury.

It was in response to your assertion that choosing Shepperd over Fyfe was poor drafting - does that mean Freo drafted poorly too since they chose Morabito over Fyfe? Re Morabito - he looked great in his debut season, sure, but we're going to have to wait and see if he's the same when he eventually comes back. Plenty of players have had very promising debut seasons only to never live up to the hype.

It was in response to your assertion that choosing Shepperd over Fyfe was poor drafting - does that mean Freo drafted poorly too since they chose Morabito over Fyfe? Re Morabito - he looked great in his debut season, sure, but we're going to have to wait and see if he's the same when he eventually comes back. Plenty of players have had very promising debut seasons only to never live up to the hype.
You can't draft around future injuries.

What has been Sheppard's setback that has made him so mediocre?

You can't draft around future injuries.

What has been Sheppard's setback that has made him so mediocre?

Sheppard never had enough to warrant pick 8. At the time IIRC he was projected to go late first round and most people were surprised when West Coast picked him up at 8.

Picking up good solid WA boys with our picks is what we do unless an obvious talent falls our way (like Lycett).

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the Judd trade responsible for the state of the WCE list?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back