Is the process of eliminating the vic teams wrong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Crowked said:
Surely if this was the case, half the Victorian clubs would be extinct. When was the last time the AFL didnt give an end of season handout to a Victorian club to avaiod them going bankrupt. The only thing that changes is which club it is.

The truth behind the issue is there should never have been so many Victorian clubs in a national football competition. 10 teams from one state in a national comp of any sport in this country is a gross over representation of that states contribution to the sport. In this case its a gross over representation of Victoria at the expense of other established and more profitable possiblities in both SA and WA, which as proportion of input to australian rules is equally under represented.

I'm not saying the SANFL or the WAFL were the equal of the VFL in the old days, the VFL was always IMO the strongest comp in the land. However the St.Kildas, Fitzroys and Footscrays of the old VFL would have been making up the numbers in our comps too. Now they are members of a national comp, while other much more successful and profitable clubs in SA and WA have been decimated in every way by their exclusion from a competion they deserved to be part of much more than some existing members.

Still smarting over Centrals not getting that second liscense, aren't you.:)

Interesting question. Just make the competition open and free and then we can alternately relocate Victorian clubs to replace the Sydney franchise as each new version bites the dust. That way no Vic clubs get killed and everyone's happy.

Crowked said:
When was the last time the AFL didnt give an end of season handout to a Victorian club to avaiod them going bankrupt.
At a guess it would have been when the AFL didn't take all their money off them beforehand to hand it back with strings. Some time before there were WA & SA clubs I think.

Skeppersap said:
No wonder Victorians hate interstate football teams and interstate football supporters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why geelong? Why Carlton? Because of an irrational hatred. Thats like me saying "lets get rid of st kilda" when i know that this is a ridiculous statement. Carlton have maybe the finest history in the AFL, Geelong offers something no other team can, a strong regional base.

If the AFL got divided into Victorian and Non-Victorian, despite interstate clubs having bigger memberships, higher bank balances, we would have the media!!!!!!!! Therefore Vic would thrive, Non-Vic would not. Non Vic clubs may be wealthy, but all the wealth depends on media. And Melbourne have a lions share of football media.

Back in your box you ********!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly right ... But there is little point arguing with a sheep like Sedders.

sedders said:
We all know there are too many vic teams, and as such it seems that a vic team wont win a GF until things change. It also seems that the AFL is just waiting for a vic team to become bankrupt, or waiting for them to put their hand up for a merge or a move.

Well i think we should just boot Geelong and Carlton out.

thoughts? :)

maybe the victorian teams just can't handle the competition of 6 interstate clubs that are well established in the league.
Geelong are crappy...Take a look at the ladder...
Therecould be 2 teams in the comp and collingwood would still choke in the GF.

MarkT said:
At a guess it would have been when the AFL didn't take all their money off them beforehand to hand it back with strings. Some time before there were WA & SA clubs I think.
you mean those ancient times before the AFL existed?

How can a hick country town like geelong support a national team when there are much bigger better and cleaner cities around australia that host a much better team.

Dont merge them of move them, just send them back to VFL.

Skeppersap said:
No wonder Victorians hate interstate football teams and interstate football supporters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why geelong? Why Carlton? Because of an irrational hatred.
Is this the same irrational hatred that you refer to, the same as the irrational hatred most Victorians have for Adelaide and Port Adelaide?

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the process of eliminating the vic teams wrong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back